1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Better by FaustianFantasy - T - Overwatch

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nemrut, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The best Overwatch fic I've found so far has been this recent story.

Title: Better
    Author: FaustianFantasy
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama
    Fandom: Overwatch
    Pairings: Pharah/Mercy
    Link: AO3

This has been a fantastic story so far. 14 chapters are planned, 5 are out with roughly 30k words.

What I like are the takes on the characters because they are a lot how I see them. There isn't fluff and empty character interactions in here, but rather deeply personal clashes between the Overwatch members, especially Angela and Ana. We see scenes from ten years before, during the heydays of Overwatch and then scenes after recall.

Stuff like Angela's reaction to Ana using the rifle that she had vetoed, that scene in the past especially was very visceral.

There is romance in there but it has been subtle and ingrained in the plot and still in the development phase. it's also decidedly very non-cheesy, so that's a plus.

So yeah, great stuff. 4/5 so far but only because it's still a WIP. It's been getting regular updates, every few days and I have high hopes on this one.

2. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I have to disagree with the romance - I did find it annoyingly cheesy, though I'm sure part of that is my vague dislike of the pairing.

But even with that, the story is at least a solid 4/5. The primary purpose of the story isn't the romance, but seeing how the returning members of Overwatch (mostly Angela and Ana) fit together and its handling that wonderfully.

3. Omicron

Omicron Squib

High Score:
    Definitely better than anything else I've read in the Overwatch fandom, but I couldn't stay interested. Perhaps because the lead characters aren't the ones that draw my attention.

Are there any other decent Overwatch stories around?

Edit: 3.5/5 rounded down to 3/5 for now, but I'll probably take another look later.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016