1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Better Writing - Oxford Style

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sin Saiori, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Now you can be Warlocke too...or at least as grammatically correct as Warlocke, but lacking in snappy lines.

Oxford's section for Better Writing

While helping an author over on FFN, I stumbled on this wonderful website. It pretty much includes all the wonders of an English textbook without being in boring textbook format. Also, it's better organized.

I'd recommend the grammar and punctuation sections to anyone less than comfortable with their grasp on the subjects. This stuff coupled with 'How to Write Dialogue' should produce higher quality writing (at least structurally if nothing else).

Didn't see this or anything like it around here and figured it couldn't hurt, so don't castrate me if it's a semi-repost.

2. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Webpage is dedicated to helping improve English as a tool. Practical writing consists on letters, complaints, invitations, job application, etc. It's not really narrative, but it does help with grammar, punctuation and spelling.

And agree with the above. This coupled with "How to write Dialogue" and that article someone posted for character development should help writers get their shit together. I also recommend Jim Butcher's Livejournal (Author of The Dresden Files, who runs that site exclusively to help aspiring writers learn about how to structure a story, create conflict, build and resolve tension, formulate the basis of it and the starting point question, why a character works, etc.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter