1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Blades of Blood by Vathara - T (Rurouni Kenshin - Fusion)

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Paravon, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Title: Blades of Blood
    Author: Vathara
    Rating: T
    Genre: Supernatural/Adventure
    Summary: In a world where monsters roam city streets, a mild-mannered New Yorker has just picked up a blade called Battousai... Modern AU, based off the NightLife RPG.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2434630/1/Blades_of_Blood

One of my favorite pieces of fanfiction - both well thought out and well planned, while managing to combine two universes in an interesting way.

I saw that the only bit of Vathara's fanfiction posted here was Embers, which was justifiably lambasted for the author's irritating habit of injecting realistic elements into a universe without changing anything they would have effected. So I thought I should share a story I thought showed off Vathara's better qualities.

2. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yes, making the fire nation into dragon-human hybrids was much more realistic than canon.

3. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Seriously? I didn't even read Embers because of the shit storm, but Vathara did that?

I was referring to the sort of thing Vathara did in Upon a Fiery Steed (an oft irritating guilty pleasure of mine), injecting a somewhat more realistic outlook on the way that the Tokra, being an alien species, would interact with others. Also using a more serious military and anthropological focus in that universe.

I posted Blades of Blood because it had almost none those irritating habits, being an RPG fusion.

Hybrids? Fucking seriously?

And without making it an AU?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yep, he totally did this, and his fans will still claim it as realistic. (Anyone else remember Capadocian or whatever his/her name was trying to say that it was no different than the Denarian Series?)

5. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Why do so many good authors have major weaknesses that are personality, not writing, based?

Granted that Vathara's had the habit for a while, but I think someone's fallen in too deep. There comes a point when you have to step back, and that point iprobably comes before you have to start writing essay long author's notes to justify yourself.

Protection From Editors Critics, anyone? [TvTropes Warning!]

EDIT:

I will vouch for Blades, though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Wow, what a gem. I was not at all familiar with the Nightlife setting, but that didn't hinder me from enjoying this fantastic fic. Easy 5/5 for me, would love to see another foray into this world by the author.

Say what you want about Vathara's Avatar fanfic "Embers"*, but this one is just excellent.

*I enjoyed the beginning arc, but as Team Avatar started to coming in and the character derailment began, the fic began to go downhill IMO.

BTW, this fic also has a sequel, Witchy Woman.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Read both this and its sequel.

5/5 for both.

I like Kenshin, and while not familiar with Nightlife RPG, I was able to follow along quite well.