1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Blanket Warning Now In Effect

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=10075

And yet, this still hasn't deterred members. Members have had their grace period. We're cracking down on people being twats in intro threads. As many people found out, we're beginning to ban for it. We need to let people give it a try, rather than running them off in their first few posts. We're serious about this. Shape up, or be banned.

All of you start from a clean slate for now. For your first infraction it's a one-day ban. From there...you'll just have to see won't you? Needless to say, you do not want to push the limits of our resolve in this matter. You will not enjoy the subsequent punishments.

"For the lulz" is not a good enough reason. Welcome newbies. And newbies: feel free to welcome each other. It's high time we get rid of that unwritten rule. Introduction is to allow people to become integrated into our community, not shoved through a gauntlet where they must conform to survive. Enough trolling, enough idiocy. If they deserve a ban, they'll get one eventually. Give them a chance to thrive here. We need the new blood, and not just trolling fucktards.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Wow. That reads like a major change in direction (or I misread something):

Wasn't the standard new guys had to conform until now, trolling aside, nothing more and nothing less than the standard of DLP? So if they fell through, they simply weren't good enough, for one reason or another. Is that now completely abolished? No more informative Intros required? No more banning on sight because it propagates Harry/Draco luv, writes in gibberish or acts like a moron?

Basically, regardless of what it says, I say welcome?

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Well, some people posting in intro section are making it imposable to get by without being flamed.

I can understand the act of keeping DLP clean of idiots and the like, but people are just too rude. Added to that fact, Lord Ravenclaw said that these idiots that do join will get what is coming anyways.

So yes, I think Lord Ravenclaw just wants us to welcome people. If the people are an issue, the moderators can handle it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

We simply want to abolish the trolling that goes on in the forum. Just because someone likes Harry/Ginny doesn't mean they should be raped until they say "Okay dudes, I was just joking. Hahaha, how about that /b/?". We still ask for informative intros. If someone acts like a moron, they're not going to make it long. Read Midknight's post. We all started somewhere. People will naturally want to fit in, but why run out people who don't conform instantly? Like SmileOfTheKill said, no matter what people say they're being flamed to hell.

I wonder how many more authors we could've had writing our DLP style debauchery if we'd only given them a chance.

If someone is a moron, you're free to point it out. Just don't troll and bandwagon. Instead of beating on someone, attempt to be helpful and go "You're an idiot, but if you want to do it better, try this:"

It's either Introduction shapes up, or we're removing the forum.

5. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If you really want to change this, you need to follow this up sincerely.

Mid's original warning changed things for three days. I think a mediocre intro then started the steady decrease of welcoming. No one was banned though.

So, wait 'till the flood of bandwagoning warm welcomes ebbs and see what's what. And act.

6. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

That's exactly the attitude that Raven's talking about. When the fuck did that become the norm? Since when did DLP want all uniform posters, who think exactly the same and have the exact same likes and dislikes? So a new poster messes up on an intro. Who gives a shit? I don't see any cause for banning unless he's a troll who's just looking to stir up trouble, or can't seem to post with at least decently understandable English.

And who are you to say that the new member isn't good enough? Were you absolutely the perfect member when you first joined up? I know I wasn't. Every single member on these boards went through some growing pains, and it is just wrong to deny new members the same rights. If they don't learn to deal with DLP's view of wrong and right, then the mods and Admins can show the door, banstick-style. But if they're trying to fit in, then I say give them a chance. There's nothing wrong with that.

TL;DR - You were all n00bs once. You all went through some growing pains. Just because you've done some time on the forum gives you no right to choose who stays and who goes. That's why the Admins have banning powers and you don't.

7. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Sweet, I've been waiting for a better climate in the intro forum. :)

8. Brian64

Brian64 First Year

Sounds like a great idea to me. I know I had no interest in adding an intro post after a reply I made in an old thread. Apart from the fact I had no idea what 'necro posting' was (yeah, I get it now), I still don't get what "Interbutts winrar rite thar" means". Doesn't sound good though.

Decided I'd just read the forum for the fic recs after that, since I have no interest in getting into a p*ssing contest with people I don't even know.

Just a thought, but any chance that rule could be extended a little to other threads? I'm not suggesting change everything, but a quick look to see if the poster you're replying to has at least double digits in their post count would be good.

Cheers,

Brian

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  9. Twisted

Twisted Guest

Is this new rule why Justblaise and a crapload of other people were banned? And I agree with this, the intro forums are getting a bit ridiculous. Its hard to know whether you're mocking a geniune troll or someone who a poster took a disliking to, flamed and it snowballed from there.

10. The Deadman

The Deadman Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

Actually, they were the cause of the new rule. I agree with the rule. A lot of people who could have been productive members of DLP keep on getting run of because they made some mistakes.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It got to the point where I was afraid to welcome people, for fear of being attacked. >.>
    Well, afraid of being dragged in to a long discussion of if the newbie should be welcomed or not.

Still, I'm in agreement with this rule.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Lines are being drawn people.

Lines are being drawn.

Are you going to cross the line?

Are you?

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

And that, Fue, was the reason I asked. Raven helpfully explained it to me, and everything's peachy. Also, if you with 'you' ment me personally, you got the wrong person for your rant. I was usually quite reserved in Intro-threads (I'm still here, after all)

Now, what I wrote above was not me "deciding" anything. It was the key facts I had for Intros, for example: You make an effort, you write as good as you possibly can, you are either respectful, or better be able to back up your attitude, you take the odd comment in stride etc. pp.

That was how I perceived DLP to be, in general, and that's why I spoke of 'standard'; and it was that mindset with which I wrote my own Intro.

And I didn't say anything about a norm, I said standard. Not everyone's the same something, but everyone is at least something; whatever this something is. And apparently you agree with me:
    So what's it with your rant? You told her just there she wasn't good enough ... only you did it politely ;)

Also; since that came up @Brian, I (and as opposed to the rest, this is my personal opinion) like the Forum just the way it is. If the Intro-section will be a bit more polite and tame from now on, I don't really care since that was how I usually posted there, but the rest of the Forum is perfectly fine as it is. If people usually think twice before they post something, that works as a gigantic crap-filter, and keeps the Forum neat and clean.

I know that from myself :p

14. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Eh... This is good, I guess. I stay out of the introduction section mostly, so it doesn't affect me all that much.

So the people who were banned... Did they get the one-day ban or is it permanent?

15. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember when there was a series of responses from mods/admins along the lines of "Stop just posting Welcome in Intro threads unless you have something interesting to say". I guess that started to mutate into "Only the most lulzy posts are allowed". So my question is: Where's the line?

16. GemmaBlack

GemmaBlack First Year

Guess it's time for me to do my thing.

GemmaBlack is a Mugglenetter. She's English, from the Midlands, likes sketching and H/Luna and usually quotes from PoA in her sig. I am not her, however, I did borrow her details from her DeviantArt account to do an experiment.

The premise was simple - would everyone treat me differently, noticably, under a different name? Would I be flamed to hell for being a 'netgirl' or anything else, even if I posted my actual opinions on stuff - just under a different name and details?

Truthfully, not really. The two times I got sniped at (outside of my intro) were Tehan for my post in the alien thread - which is true, though I'd elaborate more on it - and by The Heir for welcoming another H/Luna fan in intro who was getting gangflamed by a bunch of retards.

Other then that, I was treated normally, which is reassuring in a way. I expected a lot different, and thought it'd be hilarious, which is was in my intro (lol at getting trolled for being new by a fucking 2008 registration, good job Mirk) but by and large... nope.

With regards to my intro, had I joined DLP today I would've acted the same damn way. You guys need to cool your shit by a lot - even I don't troll them anymore. There's a little button at the bottom of each post that alerts the mods/admins to it, use it. I know I use it a lot these days.

I'm done for now, I miss my old nick, but in the future? Don't be surprised if the next "newbie" you troll turns out not to be who they said. ;)

- Xiph0

17. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Damn you Xiph0 and the PMs I send.

18. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

You are the most epic motherfucker ever, Xiph.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Oh, and Tehan? I like that avatar.

20. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

From what I understand its:

First offence: One-day ban.

2nd offence: ?

But I doubt you will get a fourth chance.