1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Blanket Warning Now In Effect

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

DLP is the only place this would have happened!

Potter Tradition of red, then Fuego and now Gemma. lol

I really should start learning the lesson.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The one really funny result of having a new account is the PMs you get, though. Vash got some awesome ones as JbernsLuvr, I got a few cool ones with this account.

I know Lyndon will forgive me for posting this, it's too funny not to. :D

My reply:

Her:

Me:

Her:
    Don't get on her case for the original, it's in good intent I'm sure. :p

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I love women who look out for others.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Lol, I almost did that, to give an actual welcome to "Gemma".

So glad I didn't. :p

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Some others like SmileoftheKill did, but they didn't make me laugh as hard as Lyndon's did so they can stay in the inbox. Like I said, I'm pretty sure she'll forgive me for posting something private, but it's to funny to pass up.

6. Omagic

Omagic Fifth Year

I really don't post here all that much, but I pretty much browse the site daily and have lurked around for few years. This isn't a rant, I'm not trying to argue, I'm simply stating my opinion; for the fuck all it's worth.

Seems like this is another decision that is writing policy to account for worst 5% of the members.

For the most part the intro forums worked fine. More importantly the intro forums set a tone for the site (and I happen to think that the overall tone of the forums is what makes DLP great). For the most part the intros that got flamed horribly earned those responses. Were there instances where it got out of hand? Of course. But it seemed to me like this was more often the exception rather than the norm.

Seems like this was the same situation with the rep system as well. There were assholes that abused it, but for the most part the general masses used it for it's intended purpose.

In both cases I think the site was better for how they were before the Mods made a blanket policy. I think that the way the site evolved, and the personality it developed helped to define the community. Certain types of post were rep worthy. Certain types of intros deserved to be shit-canned on arrival. Do we want a homogenous mixture of over-charged, internet-macho assholes, who hate slash and will kill your first born if you mentioned not hating Harry/Ginny? No. But is that what we have? No. Not even close.

DLP evolved the way it did because for a large part Harry Potter fanfiction is populated by squeeing fan girls (and boys) who want their internets forums to work in a nice, fluffy, everybody gets along, don't flame bro, kind of way. But At some point there was a group of like minded people who wanted to get away from that group which dominated the fandom, and a DLP standard was set.

The site got bigger, and the ability to monitor reasonable behavior and basic maturity became harder to do. Simply by way of larger membership the worst 5% grew in numbers and unfortunately they have caused somewhat of a rep to grow for the site. But it's my experience that basing policy on that minority only makes the overall quality worse.

But that's just my take, and like I said at the beginning it's probably worth fuck all. Ultimately DLP belongs to a certain group of people. It's their site and their place to make these decisions. I like it here, so I'm going to respect them.

Nonetheless, I just wanted to throw this out there (if only because I am the kind of asshole who will state his opinion because I have an over-inflated notion of said opinion's worth).

Cheers,

Omagic

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Intro does set the tone, and some people do deserve to be killed upon arrival in the most Spartan way imaginable, but ultimately it needs to be done by the people with that job - not the mob.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Keep in mind that I don't have an opinion of this post one way or the other... but when I read it, a song popped into my head... "America, America, God shead his grace on thee, And crown thy good in brotherhood, from sea to shining sea ..." you get the idea. :fap

</IMG>

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

3rd offence: Profit!

No but seriously, I think it's obvious what is going to happen; They go Bye-Bye.

10. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    You can call me Sherlock.

11. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Xiph++

I gotta say, while I think this new rule will be good for some people, there are those newbs who make me shiver a little with intense dislike whenever I read their posts. The fact that this rule means they'll probably be allowed to post all over the forum, it bodes ill for my personal health.

Regardless, rules are rules and the admins are the gods. I do remember back when I posted my intro, it was a lot easier to get welcomed. Note how much of a dick and a loser I was and see the good responses I get. It was probably because of the welcome that I ever posted again (even though it took me a year to do so).

So yeah, this rule is a welcome thing in some cases imo, but in others it's not. I'll follow it even though I don't like it because I do want DLP to be a good place. I just hope the forum will change the newbs I still can't stand.

Edit: Though of course, things would be a lot more welcoming if it wasn't for all this fucking neo-nazi shit I've been seeing around.

12. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Allow some of those people softer than me stay for a little while. Reading through my intro still brings me lulz although I was horribly confused about the first few posts because I had no fucking idea what a weeaboo was... Luckily I know better now.

13. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

I like bandwagoning :( and generally pissing people off.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Tell me about it.

You win at failing in that regard then.

15. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Indeed, but winning is winning.

16. Lord Necalan

Lord Necalan Second Year

I'm curious, does this new rule mean people like myself, who have been lurking for a long time and havent posted due to the trolling they got in thier intro, can finally post regularly and without fear of some of the bigger names on DLP comming down on them, which then causes others to jump on the bandwagon and other such things?

17. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

That's the intent of the rule, or so it would seem.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Alright, I know I posted this once before but its vanished. And I'm fucking tired of arguing with Sree over it.

This is how it works.

You mention you're a member of DLP somewhere, dont act like a fucking retard. Try to have the common sense to realize youre representing this site when you do.

While Sree doesnt seem to understand that Not-DLP is not DLP and not our fucking jurisdiction to issue bans, if we find out you cocksmokers are fucking shit up for us somewhere else, don't expect a stern look and a slap on the wrist.

Some of you ignorant niggers dont seem to think we'll find out, but we will. Remember we have all sorts of niggers on this site. Remember that it was a member of Potter's Place 3 who started that shit.

DLP always Knows.

Big Brother out.

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

What I got from this "old rule" is that if you post and make a mistake then you will be steered in the proper direction.

Example:

You: Dude, Harr n Gin r teh best cupple evar cept 4 maybe drac n harr. so hres a kikkin slash stryo tha I liek.

Old DLP: Dude, are you fucking retarded? READ THE FUCKING STICKIES!! GTFO.

DLP: Dude, this is not a slash site. Please don't suggest stories in the future that contain m/m pairings. Further, there is a little button at the bottom of the reply page that reads "Spell Check" it is your friend. No l33t or retarded speak here. Proper grammar and spelling are welcome.

The "Old Rule" is not allowing you to be an idiot on the threads, it's allowing you to make a mistake and not get hammered relentlessly for it.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It says to be nice to new guys in their Intro threads, to give them a chance to settle in, nothing more and nothing less. As per usual, if you have to say something that is worth saying it, no one will come down on you ... or at least that is my experience.

Heather ninja'ed me o_O But btw, is that you in your new avatar?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008