1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Blanket Warning Now In Effect

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Not to worry ... Vash Ninja'd me as well. And no, that is not me in my avatar.

So stop :fap 'ing. XD

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

lol ^

In that event it's probably just a good idea to report the post and let some admin banhammer the dude.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Oh shii-- :eek:

4. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Vash trying to be cool again, despite being the one who originally said DLP's sphere of influence does not include actions that take place on other sites.

And being the original person to go to PP3 and post half the shit we said on the forum.

I get the idea. I've been railing against the Intro Forum shenanigans for two years now. It's great the admin decided to be serious about it.

But I don't go somewhere and say I'm from DLP. If someone insults it elsewhere, I'll probably mention something and get carried away but reprisals on this forum for that is bullshit.

I don't get it either. Someone (Vash) who propagates the Schuftzstafel bullshit or whatever that SS thing is called and which has most of the dropkicks who need to be banned running around with Nazi signatures is going to be worried about our image elsewhere? What exactly is someone going to do when they come here and see assholes with the fucking symbol of the people who massacred 10,000,000 on their avatars and sigs? Love you Vash but you're sounding like a moron.

What the fuck kind of logic is that?

Let's just cool it. Raven's got the right idea. So kudos.

5. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Everyone in here bitching about bandwagoning needs to take a step back and look what they're doing now. I agree that these changes needed to be made but that doesn't mean we're turning into fucking mugglenet (I hope).

I think the idea is to encourage new members to post and be active, not to completely change the dynamic of the site to a place Taure can be proud to show his girlfriend.

Then again I am no mod, so I could be completely wrong.

6. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

And I found the thread: Sphere of Influence

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It did strike me as a bit ironic that the changes aren't so far from what I suggested way back when (keeping DLP's honest criticism intact, but being more polite about it).

It's also rather ironic that I'm now not such a fan of this idea. DLP is DLP, trying to change it artificially just doesn't work, in my experience. In essence the idea is a good one - getting more new members to actively contribute by not scaring them away, and stopping the excessive bandwagoning, not just of noobs, but all over the site.

However, in practice the change gets blown out of proportion. Already the intro section is much more friendly, but it's also become rather boring. Everyone's so scared of crossing the line that they're now being excessively nice. Part of DLP's appeal is it's "edginess". I once rather famously thought that making DLP a more friendly place was a good idea. I now feel that this is nothing less than a "normalisation" of DLP. If you take away those things that separate DLP from other sites, such as the fact that flaming is/was permissible, then all you're left with is a more intelligent Mugglenet.

Which I don't think anyone wants.

I'm certainly not saying that all the bandwagoning and hazing of noobs is a good thing. But I feel that they are unfortunate side effects of that which makes DLP great. And so, in actively stopping the hazing of noobs and so forth, the foundations of what DLP is has also been eroded.

I may be over-reacting, it may be that these changes stay confined to the intro section and don't affect the rest of the site much. But it is a potential concern. In trying to be more accessible, we don't want to lose our edge.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The fear and over-niceness should fade away as people realize where the line is. It's just the aftershocks of all the temp bans.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

This. It's really the over-hazing, trolling, and excessive flaming that we're trying to prevent. We will find a balance. If you notice a post go missing, you may have crossed the line, but not enough to warrant a ban. We're reserving those for people who do so deliberately and in excess.

We just need to give people a chance. If it needs to be killed with fire, we'll take care of that.

10. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

So you shall take care of Jon for me? Petrol tends to have a bad smell.

11. Blah-the-Sixth

Blah-the-Sixth First Year

I know this has probably been hammered in by now, but I figured I'd try to summarize everything while adding my own bit for clarification (both myself and others). I may be wrong, so correct me if I am, but based on the previous posts the admins aren't really telling the forum to change, but to grow up. For instance, to take a page from Heather_Sinclair.

Old DLP: Dude, are you fucking retarded? READ THE FUCKING STICKIES!! GTFO.

DLP: Idiot, you need to do "so and so". Make sure to read the stickies next time and enjoy the forums.

Both say the same thing, but the newer version isn't nearly as hateful. Sure they are still called an idiot, but you're respectful enough to tell them what they did wrong while still being inviting.

Sorry if that seems like I'm just copying Heather's earlier post, but as I stated before I'm really just trying to clarify while at the same time try to give an example of what I feel Lord Ravenclaw means by what is acceptable.

12. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

It has been a while since I stepped in the introduction section, but I think that your Old DLP example was just a select few. I think is was that the select few happen to be the most vocal?

Not too sure, haven't been around as much in the past month.

13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

*Cough*Mirkwood&friends*Cough*

14. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Nowt wrong with trolling and pissing off the admins... So nice to know that i'm held in such high regard.

15. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

ORLY?

I'd think pissing off the admins would be bad for your health, myself.

Also, since I forgot before: Congrats to y'all who got temp-banned. Hoping for a repeat performance from a couple of you, hopefully with more...permanent results.

Edit: Or perhaps I won't have to merely hope. Bai Mirkwood.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  16. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    It seems in his case, it has been detrimental to his health...

No big loss really.

17. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

Agreed.

As for the thread topic, I was rather lucky myself. My intro was more-or-less ignored.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

But Aurion, won't you miss me and my zinging wit? No...? Although I'd rather not be lumped in with Mirkwood, as I don't know what the fuck he was on. It was only a temp-ban, then he went and fucked it up. Meh.

On topic: I suppose this is alright, as it draws a line in the sand for people to know when to back off. World basically said it though: the mods need to back this up. On one hand you guys let things slide (i.e. Neo-Nazi bullshit, changing people's nicks, etc), which make it seem like a green light to haze, then turn around and have Ban Races. Some of the people who are mods in the first place also make it hard to take certain rules seriously. I know I haven't been here all that long, so you can say my opinion counts for shit, or that my knowledge of the full breadth of certain mods' contributions to the site is minimal, but I can only go by what I see.

Xiph0 as GemmaBlack was a good way to see if people would bandwagon and 'crack down on the newb', but I'm pretty sure it was mostly done for the lulz - you know, the very thing that's supposed to be what the admins/mods/old heads want to avoid. Hazing is done to make a joke out of someone else, so how is taking on another username to draw someone out into flaming any different ? Just because a group of old members think it's more sophisticated/mature ? Regardless, the goal of keeping Intro threads tame has been garaunteed, as I doubt anyone trusts the new members to be who they say they are.

Fuego brought up the point that DLP shouldn't be full of uniform posters, but before this mass temp-ban sweep that's exactly what was happening - and not really because of any hazing from new members. Only now, the uniformity has done a 180: people still toe the line, but it's out of fear of breaking the rules, as opposed to fear of not being seen as 'worthy'. My point is that if you wanted people (new members in particular) to be more comfortable or genuine, I don't know how successful that will be.

Time will tell, and there have been a few more members posting that I haven't seen before, so again - what do I know?

19. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

What ever happened to 'Toughen the fuck up.'?

I know that I've championed a handful of Idea's here that got shot down. Big deal. Granted a little more fact and a little less insult (On both sides I'm sorry to say) would have been nice, but it's not something I'd have demanded to change. Does this just apply to the intro threads? Or is it the whole forum in general? Cause frankly I'm not going to bite my tounge for fear of the banstick. if someone is acting like a twat, is being a mindless dick for no reason, is violating the rules, or ignoring the stickies I'm not waiting for a mod to show up and gently reprimand. I apologize to Lord Ravenclaw and the other mods if this is the attitude your trying to get rid of, but I don't intend to change the way I operate for some lil wet-behind-the-ears shit that doesn't know what the hell he's doing because he won't read the rules.

/Rant

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harden the fuck up*