1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Blood Red by SongOfTheSky (me) - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by BloodLust, Aug 3, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

Independant!Harry

Title: Blood Red
    Author: SongOfTheSky
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: Harry/OtherCanon (probably Daphne Greengrass or Tracey Davis)
    Summary: Post GoF. Harry Potter had seen one too many people die in his lifetime. He decided that if Voldemort was going to keep coming after him, Harry was going to give him a reason to. An Independant!Harry Story
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3065789/1/

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.
    EDIT by Minion, January 2, 2016
    The first chapter seems to be on fictionhunt: http://fictionhunt.com/read/11388404/1

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Cthulu

Cthulu Unintelligent Bigot

The chapters are a bit short,

Ah for the love of!
    He started reposting/editing when i was just about to read the 4th chapter!
    Now he's doubled the length of the first chapter to 1,3k words, being about 0,6 or 0,8 before that...
    Thats just infuriating! Now i have to re-read it!
    Damnit!

Anyway, chapters are (still) a bit short, but a better lenght than before, not many typos and the like and the plot is half original, no overused Goblin or shopping spree plot in sight (thank god).

A recommended read.

Ah good, the editing wasnt all that extensious, just making the chapters longer (such as combining the first 3 into 1) and fixing a few typos and the like....

Anyway, a recommended read, not all that original but far better than most, I give it an 4/5

Edit 1:

Mulo raised an eyebrow sardonically and said, “Oh really. Look Harry I let the Death Eater in because I wanted to see if you were worthy of my attentions.” Harry stopped pacing angrily and instead stared at his Landlord in confusion. “Yes Mr. Potter, I am going to train you. And no…you don’t have a choice.”
    Okay, NOW im getting REALLY interested... :D

[Edit by Vash: Added spoiler tag. Use spoiler in place of quote and you get this fancy box. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's good, quite original and avoids almost all of the clishes listed in the clishe thread. Quite short, but has potential, as long as the author actually has some plot in mind for when Harry actually gets to Hogwarts.

4. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Just finished the seven chapters published and very much enjoyed it. The characterisation was quite good (although i though hermione's boddiness was slightly exagerated, but not too much). The chapters are a bit short but i'm not annoyed by it because of the frequent updates. When i first started reading, i was wondering if it was going to be slightly clichéd but apart from the one example that worried me (below) it was quite original.

Later that night, when the other inhabitants of the house had gone to bed Harry sat at the kitchen table surveying the dirty dishes and the wine glasses smeared with greasy finger-prints and something inside him snapped. - This has been used too much in independent harry stories IMO, but it wasn't overly annoying.

I particularly like the twist with Molly being convinced by Percy, instead of him being excluded from the family, and it added a good twist to the OOTP plot, along with harry's obvious dislike of certain order members.

Overall: 4-5/5, recommended.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Haven't read it, yet, but the summary has a problem; if this is post gof than harry has only really seen one person die that he can remember. He was too young to remember his parents deaths..

6. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

he can remember them when he gets close to Dementors though.

7. Cthulu

Cthulu Unintelligent Bigot

yeah, he remembers the murder of his parents becouse of the Dementors in third year...

8. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Like I've said before, this is a very well done story, and I really look forward to its updates. The latest chapter is very good, with Harry's descent into the Dark Arts beginning. I hope that there are some consequences that come from him learning them, though.

Great work, keep it up.

4.5/5

9. sirius009

Not bad, has some spelling errors but not too many, a couple questions: where's hedwig? why isn't the ministry stopping harry from using underage magic? and why aren't we getting any insight on Voldy, ron, hermoine, or any other character?

10. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

I explain why the ministry isn't stopping Harry from using underage magic in the fic, it's because he's in a place surrounded by of age magic users and the ministry picks up on the magic used, not who does the magic-hence why Harry gets blamed for Dobbys magic in COS.

Hedwig is around, she's not playing a particularly intergral part at the moment, I didn't really feel the need to say Hedwig was out hunting, or Hedwig was on her perch in the corner of the room. Although I do realise that at the start I don't mention bringing her out of Privet Drive but she is there.

As for insight, the next chapter is in fact going to be different peoples reactions, I'm going to have a death eater meeting, with snape immediately going to number 12 for an order meeting. Ron Hermione and Ginny are probably not going to really enter into it until they see him at Diagon Alley at the end of summer.

I hope that answers your questions

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably got left at the Dursleys.

This is actually explained - because Harry is in a magical dwelling that is not his, the Ministry can't detect him doing magic - only the fact that magic is being done there, which they will simply pass off as adults magic. It's also explained in HBP.

I should imagine because, like canon, it is told from Harry's point of view for the most part.

EDIT: I've taken the liberty to insert capital letters into your quotes. The shift key is never far away!

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I like this Fic. I havent read one where Harry is taught by a vampire so thats new. And any well written fic where he dumps the red heads is good. And once again I can go by my rule of when he tells off Mrs. Weasley and makes her stfu is good.

13. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

This is a good fic. The plot is very original and its pre-OoTP which is a good place to a AU to start. The only thing is the chapters are a litte short (thought that can be overlooked). The twist with Molly Weasley was definetly original as were some of the spells.

If you don't mind some recommendations I have a few:

1. Don't take 26 chapters for Harry to get to Hogwarts.
    2. Please don't have a redeemed Draco. Its more fun when he's an annoying git.

Look forward to more.

4/5

14. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

So far I've done nine chapters, I'm going to have one more chapter with the last few bits, perhaps a bit more training, Diagon Alley etc. and then chapter 11 will be September 1st. Oh and I've said that Snape and Draco are going to stay gits, perhaps not Death Eaters, but definately wankers. And I went for pre-OoTP because most indy Harry fics are post OoTP and I wanted to be different!

15. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

i'm liking it, harry is learning stuff, and i like the idea of a vampire mentor.

just a thought though wouldn't you think sirius or remus would of quit the order or just left to go in search of harry to maybe stay with him or something.

i'm getting the feeling i'm going to be really sick of ron and hermoine while they are at school.

4/5 good story hardly cliche.

just a hope you think there is a possibilty of some use of parsletongue

16. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I liked this, the chapters, whilst short, seem to get to the point. 4/5

17. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

As I said before, I like your story so far and believe that it has the potential to be good. The Dumbledore sceans were alright, I would have like Dumbledore to have a more fail safe plan to get Harry, but it wasn't to bad. Your Voldemort seems in character so far. Your description of Harry learning the dark arts is good so far, maybe you could go into more detail in the future. The idea that you have to experiance a curse before being able to cast it is fairly original. If you do plan on killing Sirius, which I don't think you should, please give the character the credit he is due and kill hnim in a better way then JKR.

Good Overall
    4/5

18. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

I enjoyed the story, original ideas.

I just hope that Harry continues his training, looking forward to see what you are planning on doing with Umbridge along with Ron, Hermoine and Dumbledore, should be interesting.

Also, is the Atrum Vir person that learned the dark arts in 1864 and has never regretted it, even though it caused interesting side effects, is that Dumbledore?

I know Atrum means dark in latin, and while I cannot remember what Vir means, Atrum is the opposite of Albus.
    Am I reading too much into it or am I onto something here?

Anyway good story and please update soon

19. sirius009

this story already has a post..

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Meh, this one's already in the review thread...I say leave it.

Not open for further replies.