1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bringin' It back

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by LittleChicago, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I dont remember much from the earlier books, so I'll most likely read them again once I finish A Song of Ice and Fire. Still, I'll be happy to see Dresden's pet dinosaur come back. Been a while since I've seen such an awesome scene in a book.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sue's probably a one-time thing.

And she'll probably be under heavier security now, since they think her bones were stolen from the museum for some prank.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Or she can return as a mount for Harry in the post-Apocalypse world. How cool would be that? :)

4. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Well, I wouldn't discount the possibility...

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, you honestly never know with Jim Butcher. I mean, who the hell would of thought he'd of animated a in the first place.

Honestly though, he'd need some way to make it more epic, or its just kinda reusing the same idea.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm not sure it's actually possible for anything to be more epic than a zombie dinosaur.

That said, I look forward to the possibility of someone trying to top it.

7. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Well, It's always possible that Mab will order him to kill the new summer lady, use his knowledge to reanimate the one he killed and enslave her mind and powers to his will, to tip the scale into Winter's favour...

8. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Seems to me that the most logical 'apocalypse' is the outsiders, primarily because everyone is scared of them. None of the major powers of the Dresden Universe seem too cozy with the beings that lurk beyond the outer gates. In fact, that's one of Harry's selling points as a powerful wizard: he can kick the crap out of these things.

I also think it's fairly well displayed that Harry's mom had him for a purpose. This is probably the strongest implication for a future Outsider incursion, at least in my eyes. Butcher has spent a fair amount of time building up how dangerous Outsiders are, he's set up Harry to have magic that's 'super-effective' against them, it seems like poor writing not to use this in the culmination of all of his plots.

As we learn more about the circumstances behind Harry's conception and birth, we're going to figure out what's really been happening. I think it's heavily implied that his mother had some awareness of what is to come, so why she set up Harry the way she did will play a key role in interpreting what kind of apocalypse we'll be dealing with.

Pure shot in the dark here, but is anyone sure of the Gatekeeper's loyalties? A lot of his choices seem to undermine the Merlin's (which coincidentally often helps Dresden). He's also in the opportune place to do the most damage as the ring leader of the Black Council. Jim did say that he's 'the most dangerous senior council member', but to whom? It would make an interesting twist to build the Black Council conspiracy around the Gatekeeper, and then when it all falls to pieces, with his death curse he forces the Gates open, and the hordes creatures with more mouths than limbs pour in from beyond the walls of reality...

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh yeah, I meant to post this a couple of weeks back but forgot to do it so... The Harry Dresden Warden Casefile. It's a fan made compilation of all of Harry's recorded deeds written from the perspective of an outside agency (in this case the Wardens), and it really hits home why the team of Wardens during Turn Coat were so wary of taking him on head to head. Needless to say there are spoilers for the whole series in there.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Suprised they didnt mention his meeting Odin in the report. I wouldnt be suprised if the Council knew he met with Odin, not Odin participating in the fight against the Red court.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    I don't see why. The entirety of that meeting was basically between one member of the Grey Council to another, so the chances of it being public knowledge are slim.

12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is perhaps one of the best things I've read all week, and IIRC reaffirms Harry's belief that he's in the time 35(20?) most powerful Wizards alive.

13. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I lol'd.

Wait, is that really true? Did I miss something somewhere that said that, or is that just something the author of this made up?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  14. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'm thinking he made that part up, though I can't be 100% certain. The rest I can guarantee to be true, at least from the perspective of the Wardens.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Or the author could be using the "council disinformation thing to discredit business" as somehow related to the Paranet. Especially since the origins of Paranet involved hiding from the scary guy in a Grey Cloak. It's not clear though. That's just all I can think of. Unless it's implying the existence of the Grey Council, but it shouldn't be. Maybe the Author just tossed it in there to show the paranoia of the Wardens -- they are making assumptions and putting it down as fact.

Interesting -- "Since being named his godmother she has amassed a considerable amount of power which in most estimates has made her the third most powerful member of the Winter court..." Emphasis mine. Has it been implied somewhere that most of her power has come since she was named his Godmother? Because that could imply any number of things about her bargain with Harry's mom or even Harry himself. I had always had the impression that because of his mom's extensive contacts and associations with the Fae that she was able to barter with a powerful one -- which is a different ballgame.

What's this about the White God purging Dresden of all manipulation? Is it referring to when Michael helped Harry regain his memories of... what was it, his blasting rod? I think that was in Turn Coat or Small Favor, but I'm not sure why (1) the Council would know about that or (2) why they would assume it was "all" manipulation otherwise.

Either I'm missing something or the author of this really awesome piece is going a bit overboard either intentionally or not. I could see the fun in doing it on purpose, if only to show that the Warden's file wouldn't be completely accurate.

Does the Council know that Harry can use Soul Fire? It comments on how they think Uriel gave it to him, but why do they know? IIRC Injun showed up to Harry's fight with Shagnasty too late to see it (but might not have) so... ?

Began training with DuMorne at age 10 -- is that accurate? I always had an impression of around 14, but I'm not sure why. Because of his story about winning the Long Jump maybe? It's been a while since I read it, but I thought he had his magical moment in Junior High, then DuMorne showed up to adopt him.

He was only 25 in Storm Front? I know there is a list of ages for the various characters in the books somewhere on the JB forums, but I'm too tired to go and have a look for it now. That'd be interesting though, if he was that young.

Awesome link, thank you.

16. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

In Summer Knight, Harry said he and Elaine got adopted by Justin when they were ten, and he said the long jump incident happened two weeks before Justin adopted him.

Sounds about right. He left Eb's place at nineteen or so, went to Chicago and joined up with Nick Angel's practice, apprenticing to become a PI (Which would take a few years in itself). I would've said closer to 23 or 24 in Storm Front, but 25 works just as well.

17. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Cheatsheet. Word of God pegs him at ~25 in Stormfront, and he did indeed start training with DuMorne at 10.

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'm leaning toward the latter, since the events of White Night don't happen for a good 10 years after its stated the smear campaign started. Besides, the Council wouldn't need to; because who believes in magic of all things? :p

All of it is technically true though, which is the important part to consider when dealing with the Fae. It's not as though they think like us, so we have to work out their intentions and plans and goals from their past actions, and as far as the record shows, Lea has gained a tremendous amount of power since being named Harry's Godmother.

Anastacia was there and I'd bet anything that she had to spill pretty much everything to Injun Joe in order to get her mind back in working order.

I honestly have no idea on this one.

Remember that this is written after Changes too, so chances are they at least suspect something. The Gatekeeper would likely know as well, since he knows Dresden well enough to expect he wouldn't try a Sanctum Invocation without a majorly powerful trump card on hand.

Yep, 10 years old is when he started with Justin, 16 when he killed him and went to Ebenezar. 19-ish when he left to go do his own thing.

Yep.

You're welcome. :)

19. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

On the question of whether the White Council knows Harry had access to soul fire -- yes, they did. We have WoJ saying that individuals in the WC know ALL of Harry's secrets. Meaning different members know individual secrets, not that any one member knows them all.

I'm too lazy to go back and look for it right now, but it should be in our own WoG thread if someone wants to see it for themselves.