1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Buggy email alerts

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Beonid, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I've noticed over the past two months that I've been receiving email alerts for threads which haven't been updated - and for posts that are weeks (or months) old.

Example post in Santi's comments thread. I've also noticed it with the Almost Recommended thread too.

Also, on a slightly related topic:

Is it possible for text contained in spoiler tags be removed from the text of the email alert? It's a minor issue, but it might have a quick fix. Having them visible in the email kinda defeats the purpose of spoiler tags.

2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Sometimes people post in the wrong thread, or post stupid spam comments, so the mods delete the comments shortly after they are made.

That could be a possible explanation, because it happens to me. I received two email alerts from people posting in Roarian's story thread, but the mods moved them pretty fast. I am not aware of other causes, though other people might know.

Are you actually receiving emails about posts that were months old? Is it possible that they were actually newer posts that quoted old content and were deleted? Minion is pretty fast about cleaning up the TBWL thread.

3. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

My current predicament is very much related, although opposite.

I have not been receiving mails for the thread alerts. The last one was a couple of days ago, on 22nd.

Example threads:
    Anthology 2
    Second Contact

I have found one mail from Anthology thread in my gmail spam folder (from the 22nd), but after that there has been a couple of new posts (and yes, I have visited and read the thread) and there are no more. Second Contact never appeared, even in spam.

The threads do show up in profile page, and in the subscription settings all have the instant reminder chosen.

Any suggestions on solving this? Or, what might be causing it? Maybe someone else has the same issue?

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've had the same issue. I'm also using Gmail.

May 20 - 12 email alerts
    May 21 - 11 email alerts
    May 22 - 1 email alert
    May 23 - 1 email alert
    May 24 - nil

I found 3 DLP email alerts in my Gmail spam folder [the first time they've ever appeared there] a couple of days ago. I marked them as 'not spam' and moved them to my inbox. None have appeared in my spam folder since.

I've got "instant email notification" as my setting for "Default Thread Subscription Mode".

---------- Post automerged 25th May 2013 at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was 24th May 2013 at 17:40 ----------

This might be fixed. I woke up this morning to discover six new alerts, although they were hiding in my spam folder.

To whitelist DLP alerts in Gmail:

1. Go to Settings [it's the gear shaped icon on the right].
    2. Filters. At the bottom "Create a new filter".
    3. From: *@darklordpotter.net - leave the rest of the fields blank.
    4. Create filter with this search
    5. Select two checkboxes: Never send it to Spam; and, Also apply filter to matching conversations.
    6. Create Filter.

That will retrieve any emails already wrongly sent to Spam, as well as stop any future DLP emails from being sent there.

Perhaps it'll also help to counteract the negative effects on Google's spam weighting system which have been caused by miserable faggots who've marked DLP emails as spam instead of simply unsubscribing.

---------- Post automerged at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

I said "It might be fixed," but I haven't received email alerts for a couple of threads I'm subscribed to which have updated in the last hour. Ordinarily, email alerts are near instant.

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

As far as I know, nothing has changed in the last few months.

I haven't been able to find anything to suggest that anything is wrong on DLP's end but I'm still looking at this.

6. yak

Thanks, Ravenclaw. My DLP email tally look like this:

May 20 - 12 email alerts
    May 21 - 11 email alerts
    May 22 - 1 email alert
    May 23 - 1 email alert
    May 24 - 3 email alerts
    May 25 - 4 email alerts
    May 26 - nil
    May 27 - nil

I typically receive around about 10 emails per day from DLP, so whatever changed happened around May 21st.

That was also the first time that I'd ever noticed Gmail move DLP emails to my spam folder. Those emails are back in my inbox and included in the email tallies above.

Whatever is affecting the emails didn't stop all of them completely. A few emails have trickled through.

Here's two email headers. The first is from early this month when everything was working well, and the second is the very last DLP email to reach me. Nothing in them stands out to me.

That was the update note for this post.

That was the update note for this post.

Interesting experiment: Can anyone who reads this please send me a PM. It doesn't matter what you write in it, as I won't be reading them.

I'll check how many appear on my DLP account vs. go through to my Gmail account [as they're supposed to]. It'll help to narrow down where the problem lies.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Aaah, Gmail enabled IPv6-first delivery. DLP is a IPv6-enabled service and I didn't update our SPF record. Usually it isn't a problem, but Google is a very technologically advanced organization. Given that the SPF record no longer matched, that's a pretty strong spam signal (especially going from validated -> invalidated).

I've updated the SPF record -- it'll take a few hours to propagate, let me know how it looks in the next few days.

8. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It's funny how you tell google to trust mails from DLP, and it still looks at all of them with paranoya. These last few days have been mailless from DLP, even if I had a filter set up ages ago.

Hope that it'll get fixed with the change.

---------- Post automerged at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Got a first Alert since the 22nd. Not sure if it's through, or it's just pretending to be.

9. yak

It appears to be fixed on your end, Raven.

All of the emails are coming through. There's some irregularities with delivery times with some emails seemingly arriving hours late; I'll post again if it continues. It's not a big deal.

Gmail still doesn't trust admin@dlp. Each email now has this warning highlighted at the top "This message was not sent to Spam because of a filter you created." Which strongly implies that everyone who isn't filtering admin@dlp is losing all of their emails to the spam folder.

Other than that, it's working well, Raven. Thanks for the fix.

10. yak

Just an update on this situation: Everything is a-okay. Gmail is no longer mistreating emails from DLP.

On the 16th of June, the spam warning messages stopped being added to new emails, and Gmail started marking DLP emails as important again.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

12. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I have a number of threads set to either instant or weekly updates. The only one that actually does update is "Prisoners of Vagkaban"... And it's been like this for months and months. Maybe half a year. And they aren't ending up in my spam folder. So yea. Any ideas?

13. yak

Answering these questions will help to work it out.

1. Who is your email provider? eg. give us everything after the @ in your email address. Is that your ISP?
    2. Are you going to a website to access your emails [aka webmail], or do they come to your local email client [eg. Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.]?
    3. Go back through your email history and find out when they actually did stop. If they stopped on a specific date, then that may give Raven a big clue as to why things changed for you. As much detail as possible is good.
    4. Is Vagkaban the only thread update you receive? No exceptions? Does the Vagkaban update always work for you, or only sometimes?
    5. Do you receive emails when someone sends you a private message on DLP? I sent you a test PM a minute ago.

14. yak

I'm not sure if it's related to the previous IPv6 problem, but I haven't received any emails from DLP for the past 24 hours. There's nothing in my spam folder and my gmail account is receiving emails from plenty of other people today.

The last email header I received:

Code:
    Delivered-To: [redacted]@gmail.com
    Received: by 10.58.248.99 with SMTP id yl3csp61921vec;
            Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:12:54 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.60.41.37 with SMTP id c5mr30277054oel.43.1373519573002;
            Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
    Return-Path: <nobody@prophet.rave5.com>
    Received: from prophet.rave5.com (2607.f0d0.1002.001d.0000.0000.0000.0022-static.v6reverse.softlayer.com. [2607:f0d0:1002:1d::22])
            by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id ko2si17613571oeb.137.2013.07.10.22.12.52
            for <[redacted]@gmail.com>
            (version=TLSv1 cipher=RC4-SHA bits=128/128);
            Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:12:52 -0700 (PDT)
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of nobody@prophet.rave5.com designates 2607:f0d0:1002:1d::22 as permitted sender) client-ip=2607:f0d0:1002:1d::22;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
           spf=pass (google.com: domain of nobody@prophet.rave5.com designates 2607:f0d0:1002:1d::22 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=nobody@prophet.rave5.com
    Received: from nobody by prophet.rave5.com with local (Exim 4.80)
    	(envelope-from <nobody@prophet.rave5.com>)
    	id 1Ux9BU-0006gB-4u
    	for [redacted]@gmail.com; Thu, 11 Jul 2013 00:12:52 -0500
    To: [redacted]@gmail.com
    Subject: Reply to thread 'Worm by Wildbow -T- Original Universe'
    From: "Dark Lord Potter Forums" <admin@darklordpotter.net>
    Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
    Message-ID: <20130711051250.63926247ee88@forums.darklordpotter.net>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
    Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 00:12:52 -0500
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - prophet.rave5.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - prophet.rave5.com
    X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: prophet.rave5.com: uid via acl_c_vhost_owner from authenticated_id: nobody from /only user confirmed/virtual account not confirmed

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

There seems to have been intermittent 500 timeout errors as well in the last few hours. I'll alert Rave on IRC as well so he hopefully sees sooner, in case something about to go wrong.

yak
  16. yak

Seems to be fixed now.

17. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

It's an old hotmail account. If it's an option, I could switch to a gmail account.

They don't show up in outlook or forward to my phone (or at least, Vagkaban does)

I'll try tomorrow after work to see if I can find where I stopped getting regular messages.

Vagkaban is the only one that works without fail.

No email for the PM.

18. yak

So, it's a hotmail account, and the emails are sent to outlook and your phone?

When you said that DLP emails weren't appearing in your spam folder, did you mean your Hotmail spam folder or your Outlook spam folder? If you could login to your Hotmail website and check your spam folder there, that'd be very helpful.

Good.

Do other thread updates work occasionally?

There was a general DLP email fault at the time. No one was getting emails. I sent a second test message a few minutes ago. edit: And it didn't arrive. Nuts.

Vagkaban is in a restricted subforum. Are you already subscribed to the WTF Image thread in the same subforum? If not, then subscribe to it, let me know, and I'll post a suitably WTF pic for testing.

19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Your email knows what you really want and is helping you by filtering out the rest >.>

Also I found that changing the email you use has helped some. I had a similar problem and switched email accounts and now I get PMs and thread subs emailed properly. Maybe that's the easiest/best solution for you right now?

20. yak

It's probably the quickest workaround, but I'd like to know what's broken and why. If it's not fixed, or at least identified, then this problem might be affecting other members who've not spoken up.

Minhoto shouldn't have to change email addresses to get DLP emails unless there's something wrong with Hotmail, or between Hotmail and SoftlayerTech. Anything else should be fixable.

Out of interest, what was the old email domain that didn't work for you, Riley.