1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Building Faith by elfangor8 - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Puzzled, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Title: Building Faith
    Author: elfangor8
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action
    Fandom: Dresden Files
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: None posted.
    Link: Here

So the author has just finished the first adventure with approximately 80K words and I felt that was long enough for a story I've enjoyed.

First things first, this is a self insert into an original character, Faith a created twin to Molly Carpenter. I'll admit when I started I was apprehensive due solely to those points but I postponed my judgement and I was rewarded.

Faith, the SI, is a person who has read the books but has forgotten most of them which nicely avoids many of the common pitfalls of SIs. She has vague memories of the series which leads her to try to avert what she as a real person in the world views as the worst events. Through her well intentioned interventions she and Molly are swept into an adventure that takes place entirely in the background of Death Masks.

It's a nice story that captures the feel of the Dresden Files and the author plans to continue.

4/5 for now, and it's only gotten stronger so hopefully the continuation drags it up.

2. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

I was watching this but stopped recently. Maybe this is personal preference but there is just too much fluff. Too many irrelevant conversations, school days and just a lot of stuff I did not find at all interesting. I also cringe everytime the author brings up Magic the Gathering. I play magic and I have nothing against it but it feels very much just shoved in there.

It has its moments where I enjoy it but then it gets right back to nothing happening. The writing and grammer however are good.

I may come back to it once the plot moves forward and the SI actually starts using magic and being part of the story instead of spending their time at school and being on the sidelines.

3/5

3. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I like self-inserts and also like what the Buffy/V:tM fic that the author wrote, but this was just eh. I mean, I enjoyed some of it.... struggling to think of anything actually... the scene with Harry in the treehouse! But I also think they took a lot of that from canon.

I didn't like all the Magic the Gathering stuff, I've never played so it sort of just confused me. Also they are hurting my soul with how they write Thomas. Not in character at all.

So. Not reallly library worthy. But still kind of scratches my self-insert itch. It's a 2.5/5, but a 3/5 for the thread rating thing.