1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bullshit Magic Ninja Quest - Narutoverse poll

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Roarian, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When it gets down to it, Orochimaru was just not that interesting of a character. Amusing, perhaps, but never really interested in him personally. He was definitely one of the better villains, even more so when compared to the batch we have gone through since the good members of Akatsuki died, but as a person, is he really all that interesting?

I would rather forge the legend of Kakashi, with or without the Sharingan eye.

[X]Hatake Kakashi

Would be interesting to see where that goes.

2. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Fuck! I can already tell how an Orochimaru campaign would go on these forums. Please god no.

[X] Hatake Kakashi

3. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

...Kushina doesn't count as part of Minato's generation?

---------- Post automerged at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Yes, he definitely is. The dude went from nameless orphan to one of the Legendary Three, to one of the most hated traitors of all time.

What was his relationship with the Sandaime, someone who loves and breathes the Will of Fire, like? How did he relate to Tsunsde and Jiraiya? This is someone we know fought in the grittiest parts of the second and third wars, saw both the Sandaime and Danzo at the height of their power. Saw Hanzo, Root, Akatsuki...embraced his own madness and pushed the boundaries of ninja science beyond anything before, perhaps farther than they should have been.

What great and terrible things did he do, and what drove him? How can his mad quest for immortality and understanding be exploited/how did it evolve? What else could he have become?

His story is at least as compelling as Jiraiya's. Kakashi is an awesome character with tons of potential - but Orochimaru has all that potential, in a time period that hasn't been explored, with the chance to interact with people we otherwise wouldn't (young Tsunade - a totally different person than the old one, Sakumo, ect), and cause far bigger changes to the status quo earlier than Kakashi ever could.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  4. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I will always stal faithful to the MC.

My vote is on Naruto.

5. Hal

Hal Professor

You have such original humor!

6. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, we all know she's not going to win.

Jiraiya would be a better option if this is the goal. He doesn't come with the DLP temptation to become a vicious, creepy, evil asshole. Something I don't want to engage in or have to fight against constantly.

Nothing humorous about it. I don't like Oro. I'm not cracking jokes.

7. Hal

Hal Professor

Is there a reason why? If it's just because he's evil you know we don't need to pick that path.

8. MrSam

MrSam Third Year

Anothe vote for Orochimaru, i want creepy scientific ninja.

9. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Because he's creepy. Because I'm not interested in him as a person, and yes, because he's evil.

And no, we don't have to. But it'd be a constant fight against people who want to go the creepy evil path, which would be annoying as hell and not something I want to deal with.

10. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Balancing the desire to be a vicious, creepy, amoral asshole is half the point. The ninja world is not a nice place, and Orochimaru embodies that quite well. The man was a hero at the end of the Second War - it's an interesting dichotomy. He didn't start "evil".

There are plenty of quests and even more fics where we see the ultra-moral protagonist who is the ninja without sin in a land where power is held by the most effective murderers. I think it would interesting to see the other story - not be evil for the lulz, but see what the gritty underside of the ninja world that Hiruzen hated and Minato wanted to abolish actually was, and decide how we are going to handle it.

Like I said...great, and terrible.

11. Telrath

Telrath Second Year

Eh, might as well.
    [X]Uzumaki Kushina

12. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Orochimaru has always been cold, calculating, and amoral. He may not have started evil, but he was still an assface to start with. He was a Hero because he was a powerful Shinobi who accomplished much in a time of war, not because he has or ever had a Heroic Personality.

False Dichotomy. I've noticed you do this a lot. Quit it.

We don't have to go Evil Assface to see the gritty underside of the Ninja World. We don't have to play Super Ninja Jesus just because some of us don't want to play Evil MUAHAHAHAH.

There are these things called shades of gray, learn to perceive them and quit trying to categorize things as either A or B, Light or Dark, Yes or No.

13. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Exactly what made him so utterly irredeemable as a child? By all accounts, he was less of a little bitch than pre-Kannabi Kakashi. He obviously served Konoha without incident for years. I never claimed he had a Heroic Personality, but he obviously changed over time.

Uhh, fuck you?

I am well aware that there are shades of grey, thanks.

Could we explore then with another character? Of course. Jiraiya no doubt killed just as many people as Orochimaru did through the Second and Third Wars. How many Iwa shinobi did Minato butcher - what did he have to do as Hokage to keep the peace? How long was Kakashi (who even dabbled in Root) in ANBU? To use your own terms, part of the appeal is seeing them through the eyes of someone without the usual Heroic Personality, but who could have had an unconventional one given different choices.

If anything, you are the one trying to categorize things as A or B, Light or Dark, Yes or No. Hell, right there in that post you say playing Orochimaru is absolutely, unequivocally going to be "Evil MUAHAHAHA", despite that not being the case. At all.

By necessity we often see these characters portrayed as caricatures of themselves, but in the hands of a decent writer they are all interesting. Kushina has the potential to be more than an accessory to Minato, Kakashi can be more than a walking memorial, and I am sure you don't see Naruto as nothing more than a lucky, stubborn moron or Jiraiya as a lecherous fool - they can all be three-dimensional, complex individuals. Why extend that courtesy to some and not others?

You are over-simplifying the character, quit it.

14. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

After thinking about it a little, I changed my vote from Orochimaru to Kakashi. Mainly, because taking the place of Orochimaru as a child would remove tension from the team and quest with us making him play nice and being in sync with his team.

Kakashi faces a similar problem but at least the possible change in personality is not that great so it would be easier to keep his personality consistent for the duration of the quest.

As for the others, not really interested in Tenzo and as for Kushina, even if she is not in the same team as Minato we always know he is there. He probably would barely appear in the quest but we would end up spending time with him to train and I don't really see us surpassing the yellow flash unless we steal his schtick. Naruto is always interesting for a ride but it has been done already.

15. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

I vote for Kakashi.

In the manga, I felt that he never really lived up to his reputation, kinda disapointing as the son of a legendary ninja and student of the 4th Hokage.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  16. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

In order of priority:

1) Kushina - tons of potential there as long as you keep romance out of it. Someone said she can't be awesome in presence of minato in that generation. That's plain ridiculous if you've read up to current manga releases. Many examples of people who can stand shoulder to shoulder or beat his ass down. Kushina had the full kyuubi in her, hated him, had chains that could own biju, had power to survive an extraction, was said to be fearless and is in a strange land away from home. She has guidance from mito uzumaki who was able to seal the entire nine tails within her, then presumably had some part in doing the same for Kushina, something minato couldn't do for naruto. With mito's guidance Kushina could be a seal master, along with her chains she could be complete bad ass.

2) Naruto - because we are DLP, we can rebuild him, bigger, stronger, faster as several have done already but not take the story too ridiculous conclusions like canon. A point of departure might be naruto refusing to use the kyuubi and standing on his own feet.

3) kakashi - because so much potential there if he wasn't just another sharingan user.

17. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Yeah, Changing my vote to a priority system as well.

1) Naruto. Menace and Nuhuh both have great ideas. I like Nuhuh's philosophy, building a Better Naruto, but I like Menace's idea for divergence more. I think, however, with both of them as part of the quest we could make him truly, truly awesome.

2) Kakashi. Dude should have been Hokage long before the Third was killed.

3) Shisui. I've always wanted to see him explored, and it'd be awesome to play a GOOD Uchiha who doesn't fuck things up left and right.

18. hmmbot

hmmbot First Year

[x] Naruto

Because I feel that DLP can make him truly great. Instead of shouty and weird.

19. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Yeah I'm going to vote for Naruto too.

20. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

[X]Tenzo/Yamato