1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Cage and Key by Herudus - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sesc, May 22, 2017.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Title: Cage and Key
    Author: Herudus
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Hurt/Comfort
    Words: 216,210
    Library Category: General (Dark Arts?)
    Pairings: Harry/Daphne
    Summary: It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways. Harry is prepared to do anything to protect those he still has left, even use the Dark Arts extensively if he has to. The question is; will he be the same person in the end as events, and a shadowy figure risk to change him? And how does the eccentric Daphne Greengrass fit in? Sixth year. HP/DG

Link.

So with all the failtastic HP/DG stories in the Review Boards recently, I'm surprised that the only one that's actually readable (and by DLP member Herudus) got a pass. I kept this in my to-read list for ages, because I knew it was actually decent, and started over the weekend.

There is no need to bend standards here -- this one's an actual 3/5 in the best sense, with occasional grammar problems, but nothing on the scale of unreadable gibberish because the author doesn't know how to use quotation marks, with no brilliant plot (yet), but something that's moderately entertaining, with no spectacular characterisations, but adequate ones, with no real brand new idea (yet), but solidly done common stuff.

It's a post-OotP thing, with the first two or so chapters being a struggle to read, because it's basically all old stuff, but as you continue to read, you eventually realise you have been reading original plot for quite a while and didn't notice, because the transition was seamless. The quality in writing also improves, so it gets better the longer you read (I'm currently halfway through what's posted).

Plotwise, it's a sixth-year with the most general elements from HBP, and apart from that, the (stereo)typical, say, Anakin/Star Wars thing about the dangers of Dark Magic on one side, and everyday stuff/romance on the other.

Characterisation of Harry isn't too far from Canon (in ways both good and bad, his general willingness to forgive Daphne's latest scheme is a little irritating, and the romantic cluelessness and self-undervaluation is exaggerated -- it's BLATANTLY OBVIOUS Daphne likes him, a dead piece of rock would notice it --, but I can just about stomach it), Daphne at her core is nice and helpful, but also manipulative, bossy and terribly conceited. She's this type that likes someone, but is far too proud to ask, so she puts all sorts of absurd schemes in motion to get him to ask her, so that she can graciously accept. It's actually somewhat funny. (Especially when she simply annihilates competition, e.g. Romilda. Poor girl has no chance at all.)

But yes, in other words, a healthy 3D-character. The support cast occasionally gets the shorter end of the stick as the story really does focus on Harry and Daphne, but there's no bashing. Also, matchmaker!Slughorn is awkwardly hilarious :D

So if you don't mind another sixth-year story, give it a try. Almost recommended as I said, maybe a four with a Daphne bonus :p

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

Uh, you misspelled the author's name in the actual title.

But, for the more serious topic of the story, I wound up reading this when it first came out, and thinking that it was alright and that there were parts of it that I really liked and parts of it that I really really disliked.

I don't recall a lot of the story anymore, but I do remember that he had dream visions or something, and the entire plot was centered around this evil vs. good idea within his own mind. And, uh, I wasn't a huge fan. The persona never really... made me seriously view it as a villain. And I get that there's supposed to be a whole lot of foreshadowing going on with the mind-villain potentially turning Harry away to the Dark Arts, but it just never came across as a serious threat to Harry, especially with Daphne there continuously pushing him towards the right path.

I agree with Sesc in that the characterization of Daphne is one that I very much enjoyed and wished I could see more in other fics rather than the 1D tropes that have been the norm for her.

It's something that I read while it was still updating, but it wasn't something that had any of that "wow" factor that I look for in fics that really grab my attention.

Meh. Sesc probably is right that it's 3/5.

3. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Obviously I tried this story. In fact, I tried it multiple times. Couldn't get into it at all. I can't give specifics because it's one of about a dozen regular updating, >20k HPDG fics I keep trying to read, and the fact it doesn't stand out among that lot says something.

Not library worthy. At best, almost recommended. But I'm saying 2.5 rounded down.

Edit: a cursory review to jot my memory and I will concede I was overly harsh. My gut instinct is still "almost recommended" as I begin to recall the specifics, but I should have at least rounded up to an honest three. I will move my vote to 3 for now until I've reread.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. Sesc

Huh, funny how that works sometimes. How far did you read, vlad? The opening is a bit dry, but around the time where he partners with Daphne in Herbology I found it quite readable, and it's all uphill from there.

Right now, I'm more inclined to give a 4/5, actually. And that has nothing to do with Daphne -- for whatever I said about the supporting cast, I love character growth the author allows Ron to have, it's one of the best I have read in recent times. That right there is enough to nudge it from 3.5 to 4. (And just as I write this, Nott becomes a pretty terrible caricature, so eh. You get the drift.)

Edit: And obviously it beats the other stories in here for me by miles, which I would rate 1/5 and 2/5, if I would actually read them (and not skip them, because I know I'll hate them).

Miner: Thanks, fixed it.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well I'll give it another shot tonight, because our tastes tend to be very similar (read: quality). Give me a ballpark chapter if you don't mind where if I am not pleased then we can chalk it up to an irreconcilable difference of opinion.

6. Sesc

If you need to, you can probably skip or skim the first two chapters. Chapter 3 is the first Herbology lesson. Chapter 5 is from Daphne's POV, by the end of chapter 10, they have something of a bond and will continue to spend more and more time with each other. That's probably your cut-off point. In chapter 19, they get together. The plot in-between is mostly interaction and centred around the Slug Club, which is semi-original (even if planning a Christmas Party isn't a page-turner -- like I said, it's mostly everyday stuff, but I enjoyed that, YMMV).

Edit:
    Final verdict is a 4/5. It's got it's fair share of flaws, but I'm enjoying it too much, and the amount of thought put into it is too much not to. Not least because it currently ends during the Christmas Holidays, and along the majority of the 200k words, I did not have the feeling of reading the umpteenth HBP-rehash. It's original stuff, with chapters clearly dedicated to character development, which I always appreciate, or backstory (there's an entire one on Daphne's grandparents) without feeling wordy or fillerish. That's an accomplishment.

I'm looking forward to further updates (hopefully soon).

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I'm trying to read this now, and finding it hard to like. I can't stand the fact that Harry doesn't know the name of one of 40ish students in his class. Just how stupid is he?

8. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is a huge peeve of mine. Probably the biggest. Even worse though, it's canon (year five Hermione tells Harry who Theodore Nott is).

9. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'll echo this. While reading this I find myself skimming too often. Something about it fails to engross me.

/shrug

10. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I agree. I'll also give it a 4/5. I like the character development and judt the story in general so far. I'm about 18 chapters in and the 'going dark' or getting 'addicted' to dark magic is an interesting premise to me so far it's falling a bit flat or more like Daphne is keeping him level headed so far and away from it.

It will be interesting maybe later if the author pulls it off right on how Daphne will help him when he gets pulled to deep, as that's how I see it building up too.

11. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So... can I assume it's a slowburn Flamata?

I realized specifically what annoyed me. Chapter 1 is very roundabout prose for what amounts to an abridged version of canon summary. The differences are for the most part minor (Harry telling off Luna and Neville) and some of it is very jumbled (Harry talking about Slughorn). Romilda felt like the author had her cameo because he had to because that's what happened next on the train.

Probably best bet would be to start at chapter 6 or so and just assume premise is: Canon thus far, except Harry is aware Daphne Greengrass exists.

12. Sesc

Lol, the thing is, you can't assume that, because we haven't gotten that far XD

At the end of what's currently there,
    Daphne has, so far, mostly successfully prevented him from learning too much Dark Arts, and it's in the very last chapter that Harry gets his wish to have as much access to the Dark Greengrass Dark Arts Tome Of Dark Arts as he wants. His reason to learn Dark Arts is to protectz Daphne from teh Evilz, while Daphne tries to protect himself from ... himself. She might continue to keep him grounded or she might not, it could go either way. Also, keep in mind that his sudden affinity for the Dark Arts is because he turned into a vacuum cleaner for all things Horcrux made by Voldemort (TM). He has a mini-Voldemort inside of him that sometimes comes out to play. If they somehow got rid of that, everything changes.

But until then, what would be really interesting would be if Daphne was killed. However, that also would be shitty.
    Hence was why I referenced the Star Wars thing (which in itself is trope older than Jesus (literally), of course).

13. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay chapter 4 was definitely solid. Not great, but I didn't feel the need to skim, and have no issue hitting "next". An honest 3/5 chapter, without rounding. If it maintains this level of quality + doesn't fuck up Daphne, I would read no probs.

First three chapters could be axed, and probably drag the rest of the chapter down around it because you're still searching for the hook. But props for improvement.

Edit: [MENTION]Sesc[/MENTION] As promised, a proper review now that I am at Chapter 14.

I still say it's 'almost recommended'... but it's at the top end of that spectrum, not just creeping into it for Daphne's sake.

There's improvement but the pacing is still too slow, even for the 'slice of life' flow of the piece. I think its the amount of dialogue that's the culprit here. It's not even necessarily bad but occasionally there are blocks of speech that I glaze over on, usually when it's reiterating something for the nth time.

But it' no longer game breaking. I stongly suggest new readers go ahead and skip to chapter four or five; that will get rid of the worst offenders without missing anything meaningful to the plot: just know that Harry has returned to school, bumped into Daphne so knows she exists, and she appears to be your typical neutral Slytherin girl, the worse excesses of ice queen trope thankfully absent.

Things I like :
    - The dialogue does succeed in giving both Harry and Daphne a distinct voice. Props for that.
    - That it's the Slytherin who is wary of the dark arts and is trying to keep Harry from going too far into it. Nice twist.
    - Daphne rolls with opportunities when they present themselves, but isn't a master manipulator. Nice take, I like it alot.
    - Slughorn
    - Ron and Hermione are shunted to the side, but author doesn't go to town on them or anything; it's still clear they are Harry's friends and the forming distance is in a large way recognized as Harry's fault. Ron is a bit of a caricature but there's at least some effort being made to temper this.

So yeah: dialogue/pacing issues and some cheesiness of repetitive flirt-not-a-flirt but once you get over the summary chapters it's a nice HPDG fic when all's said and done. I like and can empathize with both main characters. Harry has an actual goal that isn't just being handed to him, and Daphne compliments this Harry well, even if at times the execution feels slightly off.

3/5, creeping upward. 4/5 if you are actively looking for HPDG, or have a high tolerance to pacing issues.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  14. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

"Shall we go eat?" Harry asked, wondering if they wanted to go to lunch. The author has this really annoying habit of explaining his dialogue. Apart from that it's fair enough. 3/5.