1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Cain & Abel: Service in His Shadow by Mike Stormm - T

Discussion in 'Games' started by ReverseSide, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Title: Cain & Abel: Service in His Shadow
    Author: Mike Stormm
    Fandom: Warhammer 40K
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-fi/Adventure
    Pairing: None.
    Summary: Commissar Ariel Abel didn't want much in life, just to do her job and be noticed for her hard labour. Too bad her career is about to be overshadowed by the enormous, and fraudulent, reputation of Hero of the Imperium, Commissar Ciaphas Cain.
    Link: FFnet

Review:
    The story follows the adventures of a Commissar Abel, who is attached to the Vallhallan 597th under the supervision of Cain. The character is an OC, but is very well fleshed out.

For those who are familiar with Ciaphas Cain, this story closely follows the writing style of S. Mitchell. For those who are not: do not expect an oppressing grim darkness in this story. The writing is solid, and lightly humorous.This story is easily on par with any of Cain's adventures as penned by Mitchell IMO. The story is full of intrigue, mystery and adventure delivered with the dry humor of someone who looks back on her life with more experienced eyes.

And there's still a surprising twist in the story, similar to that of a Cain novel. The story kept me guessing until the very end.

The only complaint I may have with this story is that Abel feels too soft-hearted for what I generally see commissars as, but it still works within the story.

5/5

2. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

This is probably the best pure Warhammer story in the fandom.

Solid writing, plot and characterization all wrapped up with a style that truly does reflect Mitchell's. Not much more to say that ReverseSide hasn't covered other than this story does have a sequel which I haven't got around to read yet, so no comment on that.

5/5