1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Can you apparate onto/into a moving vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reiku, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    He apparates in at the very beginning of PS though. It's possible she haven't thought of details yet, but the idea of teleportation was there already.

2. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I can't see why not. Three D's remember? You just need to know where you want to go and have the will power to get there. 'The Prime Minister's limousine' sounds a reasonable enough Destination.

3. Polkiuj

Polkiuj First Year

High Score:
    For clarity: a space meaning the real volume measured in the XYZ dimensions, but a 'space' meaning the conceptual idea of the word that would be a valid destination of Apparititon.

Granted, the exact why is mostly based on my own interpretation and is, admittedly, completely arbitrary when you get down to it.

To my mind, no. The minute motions of the boat is still irrelevant. Physics is irrelevant when it comes to the limitations on magic. I did not mean to argue for the relevance of inertial reference frames to Apparition, but rather the conceptual nature of a 'place'.

A conceptual 'place', to my mind, has a number of intrinsic properties not related to its real world analogue. One of which is that it is conceptually 'static'. In reality nothing is truly static, but to magic things can be. A 'room' is 'static' because a 'building' is 'static', otherwise it would be a 'mobile building' which is a completely different thing, conceptually speaking. Like for example, a mobile home rv is like a home but it moves. which makes it distinctly different.

If a 'car cabin' justifies as a 'place', then how about 'underneath that pink umbrella', or 'the area around this particular Knut coin I'm holding right now but will dropp inside that pocket in a moment so I can Apparate to it later'. That last one sounds like a ridiculous stretch but one that still comes to my mind as an exploit that clashes horribly with the feeling of canon.

In the end it is still just comes down to me thinking that one thing is and another isn't. I do not mean to insult you or your opinion, and I hope no one takes offence.

This would probably be an exception due to the nature of the Taboo which is 'say this name and the Ministry approved Snatchers will find you no matter where you are or how you try to hide'. A really nasty powerful spell with a wide ranging conceptual effect. That's how I would interpret it at least.

Thank you for your questions. I hope I made some sense and didn't offend you.