1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Can't connect to wifi at home with PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Anarchy, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So, just moved, hooked up the router. Got my phone, my xbox one, and my mothers laptop connected to the wifi, but for whatever reason, I can't get internet on my computer (typing this from work). The network shows up, but it either won't connect to it, or it will connect but not give me internet.

I've had this problem before, and I'm pretty sure the solution was hidden in the tcp/ipv4 information - I think the error it gave me last time was either an unidentified network, or conflict network address. For whatever reason, the automatic setting stopped working, so I had to put in manual settings for the ip and dns server address, but now I can't get any of that to work with the new settings for the new router.

Now, I'm not a tech guru by any means, but I spent way too much time trying to figure it out. If all else fails, I'll have to get a 50' ethernet cable.

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Proceeding from some assumptions:

* This is a desktop with an add-on wireless card

* At some point you hard-set the local IP info on the desktop

* It used to work but now it can't

I'm going to suggest you dig in to the network card settings and set it back to automatic/DHCP for the IP, DNS and Gateway.

It is possible, though unlikely, that the router has a reservation set up to hand out a specific address to the desktop wireless card based on its MAC address- this might still be trying to hand out the reservation. Assuming you haven't changed anything for the wireless settings on the router this wouldn't be much of an issue (though over complicated for home network purposes).

If you did change the wireless settings, possibly setting a new IP range [192.168.1.0/24 is the default on so many that it can be helpful to set a different subnet, like 192.168.199.0/24], the reservation might still be handed out but wouldn't be on the right network anymore.

Lots of possible steps to verify what's happening-
    * Check for those IPv4 settings on the PC's wireless card
    * Find out the IP being handed to your phone, and/or the IP for your mom's PC
    * When the desktop gets an IP but can't browse, see what IP it's getting and compare

Best of luck. Let us know what you find out.

3. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Could be a Wifi driver incompatibility. What OS are you using?