1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Carry Me Home by signalbeam - M - Persona 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by mdatot, Jul 26, 2017.

1. mdatot

mdatot First Year

High Score:
    Title: Carry Me Home
    Author: signalbeam (fasterassembly on FF.net)
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance / Drama
    Fandom: Persona 4
    Pairings: Chie/Yukiko

Summary: AU: Yukiko runs away from Inaba after catching the murderer. Eight years later, Chie meets a familiar woman in the city. Three variations on a departure and a return.

Written for the prompt "Anon would like to see a post-game Yukiko/Chie fic in which Yukiko's S-Link never reached its turning-point and she never dared elaborate on her feelings for Chie. Yukiko has quietly left Inaba in pursuit of herself, leaving Chie behind."

Link: AO3 | FF.net
    The structure is slightly different between the two; I think AO3 is easier to follow because it's split into chapters there, but YMMV.

This is a ~7k words long lesbian drama/romance oneshot or perhaps a three-in-one oneshot - it's got a prologue and an epilogue, and then three variations of the in-between. If that sounds repetitive, don't worry, it's not, and it's also far too short for that to even be an issue. It's not a happy story, really. It's about missed chances, a relationship that perhaps should have happened but didn't, about friends who don't understand each other was well as they think they do, about emotional scarring.

So why is this worth your time? Simply put, it's a punch to the gut. It's sad without being melodramatic, emotional without being overbearing, bitter without being "dark". The characters are human, grown-up but insecure. The prose is some of the best I've seen in fanfic - it's the opposite of flowery, there's weight in every sentence, and the text feels much longer than it actually is. Read it slowly. I guess some people could consider the structure a gimmick, but I think it works.

I could go on, but really, the fic is so short. If you aren't completely put off, just go check it out.

5/5.

Addendum: the author has written a lot of other oneshots as well, and everything I've read has been worth my time.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Anyone else read this? Its been sitting for review for 268 days.

I mean... I didn't read this because it had lesbian drama/romance in it. I'm not Zeelthor.

I did give it a read because I've read other Persona fics in the past. I haven't played the games in ages so my foundation for them is a bit shaky. I do remember liking them.

I think my biggest issue with most fanfic in general is personified by this fic. I don't like overly dramatic stories, there's certain point where the angst, the trepidation becomes too much and you're just staring at the screen telling them to hurry up already, or don't do that, because you only know its going to end badly.

There was a touch of this in this fic. The structure left... a little to be desired. I guess I don't adapt too well to experimental formats. This wasn't that bad, but at the same time I don't really know what it added to the over all story.

It is worth the read, if only because its something different and its well written. There's a tone that starts with the first couple paragraphs and is carried throughout. Its consistent.

4/5

Well, its sat here long enough. I'm moving it, if someone else feels like chipping in and giving it a review, feel free to do so.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018