1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Castle

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Illution, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Man... I really enjoyed last week, with Adam Baldwin. He and Fillion together are just fucking gold. Of course, the complete lack of Beckett might have helped elevate the episode.

Also, I think I don't hate Alexis this year, which is a step forward. She's been horribly under-written for like 5 seasons in a row.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's just the way she and Martha treat Castle like a petulant child about his relationship that really gets my goat.

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^This
    Alexis has been much better about it but his mom basically all season has been treating Castle like hes a giant asshole for being confused and upset about Becketts nonsense.

4. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay guys, I've missed the las 4-5 episodes, has Beckett stopped acting like an idiot and told Castle what's up?

Was it really so hard to say "Castle, there's people after me, if I tell you the details they'll be gunning for you too"? I hate it when movies/shows do this. THe same shit is actually going on in Arrow right now!

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Don't bother. It's very much an abusive relationship for those of us still watching.

You're free! Run, you fool!

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Anyone still watching this? Season has started bad but got a bit better once Beckett told Castle (or he found out, can't remember). Had some fun episodes like the one in the police academy.

My favourite was the new one though, with that immortal guy. That one was seriously entertaining.

Also, apparently the actress of Beckett is leaving/being forced to leave the show and next season, if it happens, might go on without her.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    Erm. Huh? How?

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I haven't seen any of series 8 yet, but I wouldn't watch a series that didn't have Beckett in. What's the point? The primary plot of the series has been 'Will they get together?/How does their life change when they are together?' Even before you get into the questionable reasons for getting rid of her, it's just utterly stupid.

9. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Castle didn't get renewed for another season. This is for the best since Castle with no Beckett would have failed spectacularly.

10. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Yeah the writing has been on the wall for a while. I don't even know if it's a shame as I haven't really been enjoying s8 and its terrible story lines!

11. Gengar

High Score:
    Fell off that in a big way. Hope Filion does something else other than staring in bungie games...

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Now that Fillion is free this is the perfect opportunity for Joss Whedon to create a sequel series to Firefly set 15 years later. Make it happen, Joss :colbert:

13. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As much as I fucking loved this show in its early seasons I honestly hate to admit that I'm happy it got canceled. This last season for what I managed to force myself to watch has been almost physically painful. They stripped out every single thing that made this show so fun and entertaining and replaced the first half with Saint Beckett thinks she's Jason Bourne and always right. To top it off though what killed me was the fact that when she finally got busted not only did she not suffer any consequences from anyone but somehow she managed to convince Castle to keep playing along with her dipshit charade.

14. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

I wonder how long ago they filmed that very last scene.

15. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Mm. I've read more than a few gossip rags claiming the two leads hated each other (claims they attended joint counseling, Fillion making Beckett's actress cry and only being contractually obligated to share two days of filming per episode), which generally sounds like bullshit and I'd dismiss it as such... if it wasn't very noticeable the decreasing amount of shared onscreen time the two seem to have in the last season or two.

Add in that it was Beckett seen off first before the show got cancelled, I've kind of got the impression it was a her or him situation due to the bad blood that saw her get sacrificed in favour of Fillion, only for ABC to just axe the show entirely.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

You know I remember being so damn excited for this show when I saw the promo, and it was great for a couple of seasons. Its sad when you get to the point that you are just grateful they put it out of its misery.

17. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

The Smallville Experience. Also Green Arrow. :sherlock:

18. Shinysavage

High Score:
    I'm not sure I buy the whole offscreen drama claim - largely because while they're both good, I don't think they're good enough to keep up the level of onscreen chemistry that Castle and Beckett have* if they can't stand the sight of each other when the cameras aren't rolling. On the other hand, letting your lead actress go 'for budget reasons' when the entire show has been about them getting together only makes a lick of sense to me as a cover for drama or just outright sexism.

* I'm saying this as someone who hasn't seen any of series 8 yet, but the clips I've seen seem to keep the chemistry, even if the screen time is reduced.

As far as the seven years later but goes, I believe they shot it ages ago, knowing there was a chance they wouldn't be renewed and wanting to leave closure for the fans.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right, so I stopped watching around season 4- when they finally got together. From all the discussion in this thread I doubt I'll ever watch the rest of it, but I'd love to know what actually happened. Anyone care to give me a brief summary of where it went from there?

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Innomine:
    Series 5:
    They get together. Early on, they find out that the man behind Beckett's mum's murder is former DA turned Senator William Bracken, but don't have enough evidence to do anything about it. Various episodes dealing with their relationship - is it going to work, can they keep it secret so Castle doesn't get kicked out of the precinct, etc etc, culminating in Castle proposing after Beckett is offered a job working for the Attorney General's office.

Series 6.
    She says yes, to the surprise of literally nobody. Her new job lasts all of two episodes before she's back at the precinct. They finally get enough evidence to take Bracken down, but only after he's framed her for murder (she gets cleared, obviously). They're all set to get married, but Castle is run off the road as he drives to the wedding, and kidnapped.

Series 7.
    Two/three months later, Castle reappears, with no memory of his missing time. Evidence shows up to suggest he disappeared willingly, or at least that he was convinced it was for a good cause afterwards, and near the end of the series they find out that he was kidnapped to help an old school friend defect from a terrorist organisation and he helped stop a bombing (yes, really). In the meantime, they finally get married, and the series ends with Beckett being considered for a run at...governor? Some political position, anyway. Also, we finally find out why Castle writes about crime and murder - he met a genuine masked serial killer in the woods when he was a kid, who naturally resurfaces for the final episode. It's actually a really good point to end the show on - they didn't know they were going to be renewed, so gave them all a nice, quiet final scene with the entire cast, and I'd be willing to bet that someone somewhere has edited the seven years later ending onto this episode.

As said, I've not seen series 8.