1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Catharsis & Apotheosis by AlSmash - T - Code Geass

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Tutorial Boss, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

Title: Catharsis & Apotheosis
    Author: AlSmash
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    Fandom: Code Geass
    Pairings: Lelouch/Kallen
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 118,232
    Updated: Mar 22, 2013
    Published: Nov 10, 2012

Summary: What if the events of Kamine Island had ended differently with Suzaku executing his best friend and worst enemy? And what if the Gods would not stand idly by? What would change? What would continue? But most importantly of all: How can Lelouch continue the rebellion when he no longer has his Geass?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8689101/1/Catharsis-Apotheosis

To be honest, this isn't really a fic of great quality, per se.

The grammar is acceptable. It's mostly correct, and gradually improves through the story. Fight scenes are reasonably well-written, and all that. The author appears to have not written another chapter in a while, but looking at his rather quick update rate while he was here, along with the fact that he's still posting stories, I'd like to think that it's not dead yet.

The author's track record don't have any other stories that really stand out. But here's a summary of the pros that might make this story quite interesting:

Pros:

It shows a very interesting perspective of conflict inside the Empire, which has been done before. What hasn't been done before is the very interesting procedure of Suzaku slowly integrating(if you can even call it that) to the empire.

Characterization is mostly good. There are a number of decent to interesting OCs, and characters are mostly kept in-character.

This one might not be a pro to some, but it shows the interesting portion in that C.C. 'dies' prematurely, giving the Code to L.L.

Cons:

Grammar isn't perfect, though it fixes itself gradually.

Probably the worst part about this story is the interactions between Lelouch and Kallen. Every other character is interesting to see and to see interact with each other, but Lelouch and Kallen when interacting with each other seems awkward and poorly done. The individual characters themselves interact quite decently with other characters, though.

All in all, I see potential. It hasn't developed that much yet, but this could become something fairly interesting. 4/5.

Checked by Minion, February 09, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Read this last night.

To start with, I hate plot devices in which Lelouch achieves a Code. It just seems so lame and almost as bad as Kallen getting a Geass (featured as well).

The following scenes revolving around Lelouch felt like another cheesy 'fix it' Geass fic - with Lelouch revealing his history and powers to (some) Black Knights. And yet, in 100,000 words Lelouch has done nothing except talk/troll to Kallen a lot.

Luckily, Lelouch seems to be relegated to almost being a side character in this. More of the action seems to be happening with Suzaku, and those around him. His story actually reminds me a bit of Dauntless in a good way.

I thought Knight and his group seemed way too cheesy (group of Britannian elites who happen to be reformists, with one of them enjoying manga and pocky, and generally act laid back), but even that has become an intriguing plot (with Knight being a lot more than he seems - it looks like he may actually turn into an antagonist at one point). Though I am a bit unsure of all that scheming - seems like it's unnecessarily complicating things.

I also liked the fact Cornelia played a more important role than usual, and we're even going to see a bit more of Kallen's father (dunno why but I've always wanted to see a bit more about how he thought of everything that had occurred in Geass).

As you said, it's not really great quality. But it's unique and pretty enjoyable nonetheless.

I'd say it's really borderline Almost Recommendable and I'm struggling to give it a 3 or a 4. I'll hold off until I see more of the plot. It is 100,000 words, but it still feels like we're just building up for something.