1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Caveat Inimici by S.Rebeiro - K

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Sauce Bauss, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Caveat Inimici
    Author: S.Rebeiro
    Rating: K
    Genre: Drama/Horror
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: None/Canon
    Summary: Hermione is a sister to Harry, a mother to Rose and Hugo, a wife to Ron...and a Legilimens and Unspeakable. She is also very, very angry. A look at a Hermione who developed the instincts she evidenced with Marietta and Umbridge. AU, but canon-compliant.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5508237/1/Caveat-Inimici

There are stories that serve to build an ideal of a character, that define them for me and are how I judge every interpretation of the character in every work after. For Dumbledore, for example, Joe's, Shezza's, and SwimDraconian's portrayals have left an indelible idea of what it means for a character to truly portray Albus Dumbledore. This story does as much for Hermione. For all her faults, she is still the woman who once trapped a reporter in a jar to feed flies to for months because the reporter had been mean to her friend. She is vicious in her loyalty, which is the chiefest of virtues. It's a oneshot, and the premise suffers a bit in that it is very much a product of its time(2009). Even so, it is well written and has interesting magical concepts though nothing truly groundbreaking on the latter front.

All in all, a solid 4/5. It shows its age, but is well worth the read.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Really chilling stuff. Although the revenge-fantasy ness of it kind of detracted a little somewhere in the middle, which is why I can't give it a 5. Nonetheless, it's a fascinating take on Hermione's character that is canon compliant.

Crookshanks also shows up and has an even better characterization. 4/5.

3. Lord Murtaza

Lord Murtaza First Year

An interesting take on a Dark!Hermione fic. As OP has mentioned, this fic is canon compliant and showcases some canon events from a more twisted Hermione's perspective, which I personally found to be enjoyable.

Unfortunately, this only comprises perhaps one fifth (or even a sixth) of the total word count. The rest of the fic is a rambling discourse on
    how Hermione is going to absolutely destroy Ginny for having the audacity to leave Harry. I am no fan of the Harry/Ginny pairing,
    but even I found this to be unpalatable. Questionable morals aside (the author says that the war has left mental scars upon Hermione) the problem does not lie so much in the idea as much as it's execution.

The prose is a convoluted rambling mess. It reads like one of those fics that portray a Dark!Harry's descent into madness, only this time, it's Hermione (I can't remember that Fics name). It starts off relatively decently, but by the fic's half point mark I was fighting the urge to skim over bits that were not important to the story. The number of tangential thoughts that occupy this Hermione's head detract from the overall story - which in this case is Hermione's unsettling obsession with revenge. Quite the contradiction.

Overall I rate this 3/5. Could have been a 4/5 if this fic had a beta tester, like the
    "Kol Shigaon"
    did.

mst
  4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Well, this is certainly unlike anything I've read before.

Hermione the master manipulator makes sense, I suppose, especially when she's been working in the DoM, which is a rather loosely defined entity in canon. One thing that bugged me, and what nearly made me give up halfway through the story, was Hermione's plan of
    bringing Harry and Luna together. That was one step too far on the manipulation scale and reeked of wish-fulfilment regarding the pairing more than anything else.
    Crookshanks's perspective was a plus and hands-down the best part of this fic, though.

The writing is solid, with not too many mistakes thrown in along the way. That being said, the perspective was weird to read at times. I think it would have been better served with a more conventional approach, and a larger focus on Ginny's perspective as she gradually realises what has been done to her, and why. That probably would have taken away from the original, Hermione-centric idea of the story, though.

All in all, a solid 3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5, because of the originality (for me, at least), writing, and Crookshanks. Siriusly, who doesn't love Crookshanks?

I'll go away now.

[EDIT for missing spoiler tags]

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'll rate this fic. 4/5. I generally don't read anything less than teen rated or less than 40k words but this was given to me by @Sauce Bauss and it was a good fic.

Just like he said strong characterization, and pretty much a concentration of the things that make Hermione, Hermione.