1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Changes, by Prongs

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Zlaker1001, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Zlaker1001

Zlaker1001 Second Year

Title: Changes
    Author: Prongs
    Rating: 4.5
    Genre: A.U/A.R, Action, and Adventure
    DLP Category: Alternate
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur (Maybe more later in the story)
    Summary: After witnessing the return of Lord Voldemort, and the murder of Cedric Diggory, Harry begins trying to withdraw from his friends, only to find help in the one place he would never have looked on his own.
    Link Story: http://fanfic.potterheadsanonymous.com/viewstory.php?sid=43
    Link Author's page: http://fanfic.potterheadsanonymous.com/viewuser.php?uid=1
    (you must register for the site to view NC-17 rated stories)

It was adopted from Jeconais...

I personally give this a 4/5. The first 8 chapters belong to Jeconais, but I thought the ninth was a worthy effort...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Ah, the writer's pulling a ShaintTaru. Wonder how long he'll take to post all the chapters Jeconais wrote.

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

As far as I can tell, it's still all Jaconais's work. As such, 4/5.

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

If you click on the link to the author's name you'd see that on his own fanfic hosting website the first 9 chapters are available (with Jeconais' abandoned start only taking eight chapters).

That said, I'm not willing to register for his site to read this. And trying to follow up Jeco may be an exercise in futility.

I find it more telling that Jeco said this:

5. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Holy shit, a reasonable fanfiction author! O.O

Yeah, 1-8 were good before, 9 is meh.

Rating purely on the originally written stuff, 2/5.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yeah, that was about what I thought. If you have to register on his site now, I think that it must be new; in any case, I read Ch. 9 there, some time ago. What's funny is, that Jeco gave a very detailed reason as to why he abandoned it - mostly because of some cliché-ness, because the plot went nowhere, and because it lacked Harry/Fleur.

Now, Prongs' chapter brings in two new clichés (Dumbledore stealing money for no apparent reason, and that uber-will from James and Lily that, wouldn't you know, explicitly forbade him a) taking money and b) putting Harry in the care of the Dursley's, as if they knew that this is what he would do.)

Other then that, the chapter does indeed go nowhere, and Fleur is still far away in France. So basically, he just proved Jeco right.

I may try and follow it into his next chapter, but that money stealing bit really dragged it down. Especially, as it appears completely random - there's no reason given as to why Dumbledore would to that or for what purpose he needed the money, at least as far as I can remember. It's just there.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  7. Zlaker1001

Zlaker1001 Second Year

I know its kinda cliche but there are maybe 100 or less fics that aren't cliche...

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Jeconais' work is brilliant, well written and worth reading. Chapter nine, was not brilliant, well written or worth reading. Reasons have already been mentioned above. Stealing money, random uber will.

2/5.

9. DoubleE

DoubleE Third Year

So...anything worth stealing is worth stealing well? Begging permission for a plot and then...kind of sad, because there is a small probability that someone with more talent could have taken up that mantle.

10. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Giving Molly Weasley one of the three oldest family lines? *snorts* Under-written and extremely disappointing. Jeconais's work should not have been defiled with this filth. 1/5

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think it's fair to say that very few would have both the talent to follow Jeconais (a tiny subset there, as he's a much better writer than most and he's got an unique style that wouldn't be easy to clone) and the desire to pick up a half-story that Jeconais himself abandoned for good reason.

The story was "disappointing" before it started. The question being, whether it would be "fail."

12. Zlaker1001

Zlaker1001 Second Year

Did you ever wonder who was the first person to implement the ideas that we now call cliche???

13. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

The ones who have been reading and writing fanfiction within each genre for enough years usually have a general idea of who came up with an idea before it became "cliche"

14. AnnF

AnnF First Year

I wonder what the new author's first c 9 was like. And I really want to know if anyone ever has seen Discover Card accepted outside the US? I think that in the best case - it would be good to wait until there are an equal amount of new words, before the story is suggested... In the future, cause it seems that some people really get off on starting a completion of another story, and abandoning it themselves....

15. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    I very rarely leave bad reviews but I totally lambasted the story as continued by Prongs. Awful, horrible drek - he should've kept his mitts off the story completely...

0/5 from me. (4.5/5 for Jeconais parts tho...)