1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Classics & Pre 00's

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BsuperB, Apr 18, 2013.

1. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

So I was playing through Dungeon Keeper for the 5th time today and it kinda hit me that I've not really seen a thread on here regarding classic games people love or pre 2000ish, for the sake of older games, though maybe you guys have some exceptions.

I did search the forum & went back as far as December 2011 and didn't really find anything similar, so, apologies if there is but it's further back.

So, what are some of your favourite games you love to play today, or go back to for another play through from over a decade ago?

For me I'd have to go with Baldurs Gate; Tales of the Sword Coast, Dungeon Keeper (and Deeper Dungeons, waiting on GoG to get it off EA...), Dark Colony and Heroes of Might and Magic.

Edit; Any console/system, not just PC.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Is this just PC games? I'll assume so.

I'll second Dungeon Keeper (and Deeper Dungeons) and Baldur's Gate. Others from back then that I really loved: WarCraft I & II, Z, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, StarCraft, Diablo, Age of Empires, and Age of Kings. I mostly played RPGs and RTSs back then, as now, and although I played plenty of shooters in the 90s, they weren't really all that great.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Edited to say it's not just PC games, for example I loved SW;Battlefront though it's safe to say that was post 2000. Soul Reaver was always fun, and I've got memories of Mario Kart or something similiar on the N64 but it was at a family event when I was maybe 4 & I can't think of the name of it for the life of me.

Also just noticed how many I kind of forgot and didn't mention, nods to Starcraft and AoE as well as the original X-Com.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ocarina of Time :D

It's not a PC game, but I didn't play a ton of PC games pre-2000. Warcraft II I guess.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Man, I can talk retro games all day.

Thirded Baldur's Gate.

Aoe2 is still probably the best RTS ever, and I'll pick that bitch up any day of the week. Warcraft 2 is pretty high up there as well (I played the original warcraft + expansion when it first came out, but it's no longer enjoyable to play in the modern day. Graphics are too bad). Command and Conquer Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, and original all give me good memories, although Tiberian Sun is the only one of the lot to really be playable by todays standards.

Diablo 1 will probably always hold a special place in my heart as well. I remember playing it on battle.net over a 56k connection back in the day, fun stuff. I recently picked it up on Playstation 1 (never even knew it existed until a year ago maybe. Warcraft is on it as well!) and it has built in multiplayer, which is great.

Deadlock. Came with my old gateway 2000 machine. Still a great game, though I lost a disk awhile ago. I have an .iso though, so it's all good

Civilization: Call to Power. I consider it the best Civ game, and I'll still play it maybe once a year. I've played every Civ game since, and I don't think they compare. I think they're missing a bit of the charm, or are a bit too refined.

Onto the non PC stuff

Obligatory blah blah mario stuff.

Castlevania. I've got most of them, though I don't really like the 8bit ones. Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night are sweeeeeeeeeeet. I just finished recording a Let's Play of Symphony, though I've got about a dozen games on the backlog yet to edit and I'm lazy.

Blazin Lazers & UN Squadron. My go to side-scrollers for the TurboGrafx 16 and Snes respectively. I'll pick up Gradius and RType as well.

Early Shooters. I played wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1 & Doom 2 when they were new. I have my dad to thank for that. Also played Duke Nukem 3d (atomic edition). I was like 8 at the time, and I'd have the strippers shake it for me all day long, then blast them with a shotgun. Also played a bit of the early Quake and Unreal.

TMNT and Simpsons arcade games. And turtles in time.

toooooo many games.

6. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Championship Pool (Windows 95). Streets of Sim City. Lemmings Paintball.
    Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. Chessmaster 4000 Turbo. Chess Mates.
    Age of Empires and Starcraft for RTS.
    Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, though 2000.

Hardcore nostalgia thread :(

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

King of Dragon Pass.

8. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Primal Rage. Still my favorite fighting game. I found an arcade machine that worked in a bowling alley and blew about 15 bucks.

Super Mario RPG. Enought said.

E.V.O. The Search For Eden. I just recently (2 years ago) beat this for the first fucking time. Goddamn phallic amoeba boss...

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I still play AOE2 and Starcraft, and I used to play WC2 but past Windows 2000 it is almost impossible to run, even with DosBox.

10. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Age of Wonders (series), which I played a demo of, then found at a local game buy/sell/trade store. Loved it ever since, and I was so ridiculously excited when, while looking at another forum about something a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon the fact that they finally announced a third game in the series.
    Random note, I've lately been playing the last version of the game(and a modded version as well), with a few of the regular gaming crew. If anybody wants to give it a try, and maybe raise our human player count, I could direct you to where to get the stuff. The mod is a nice twist on the base game as well.

Several games in the Warlord's series.

Age of Empires 1/2/Kings

Space Empires #'s

Homeworld was wonderful, although I never really was able to upgrade my computer to play the sequels when they were more relevant(played some Cataclysm, but not 2).

Baldur's Gate 2

Machines, for some reason. Randomly played a demo of it, then found it at the game buy/sell/trade store mentioned earlier and found its particular play-style entertaining.

Blyarglefloop~ So many games to remember, I'll just mention two three four (no, I'll make myself stop here) more that really stood out for me, but were not PC games.

Secret of Mana. First game I ever personally owned and beat, being the youngest in the household with several older brothers.

Seiken Densetsu 3("Legend of the Holy Sword 3", a.k.a. "Secret of Mana 2"). Played on an emulator co-op with a friend, since it was never localized. I'll admit that we only completed two of the three different endings, for whatever reason, but it was a worthy successor.

Evo, as mentioned above by Agnostics Puppet. The second game I ever owned... even if one of my brothers apparently traded it to a friend of theirs for some other game at some point. Finished it years later via emulator.

Quest 64. 'Nuff said.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

There are only a few games pre 2000 that I can remember playing for a very long time. I was only 12 at the time.

Diablo 1 - Hard to grow up in the 90's without playing Diablo and becoming addicted. This continued with D2.

Mario Kart - SNES and N64. I played the games non-stop. I continued with Gamecube(only reason I bought the system) though I didn't get a wii for it.

Ultima Online- I was probably way to young to play the game, but my older brother had an account and I played it when he wasn't. It was my first taste of an MMORPG and the way I was constantly tested in that game is what has ruined all newer MMORPG's for me. I played up until they released Trammal(non-pvp) facet. I lost interest in the game afterwards, and continue to do so with all new MMORPG's that come out.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - It was the first and only turn based game that I really got into. I never got into final fantasy. I loved this game, but I played it so much that I did end up taking a long break from games like it.

Pokemon - Enough said.

That's the main list. I have of course played a lot of other games, but those are the few that I will always remember as being my favorite games pre 2000.

12. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I blame Worms 2 for getting me interested in computer games. I didn't own it, but I remember keeping an instance of it running on our computer for several weeks after my cousins brought it over and being irrationally angry at the person who finally shut the computer down.

Besides that, Age of Empires II was the very first game I ever bought myself (and the only game I owned for many years), so it will always hold a special place in my heart. It doesn't hurt that it's still one of the best RTS games ever made.

Edit: how could I forget Pokemon? I had to twist my parents' arms really really hard to get Red Version - when they bought me my Gameboy, they also got me Pinocchio (based on the Disney movie) to go with it and refused to buy me any other games until I beat it. Turns out, Pinocchio is very nearly unbeatable and a terrible game in general, so 9-year-old me begged and begged, and finally forced my dad to try to beat the game (he couldn't get past the part I was stuck on either). After that, they relented and I got Pokemon for my birthday. I'm pretty sure Pinocchio is still stuck on that same level nearly 15 years later.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I got my first PC around 1997. Got a game called Captain Claw free with it. It was a plaformer which was fucking fun as hell and almost impossible to beat without cheat codes. Used to spend hours playing this and I play it even now sometimes.

GTA, AoE, Mario and Quake were the other games which I used to play regularly.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Oh, also:

GTA2 [PC version I love to death]
    and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. Similar to the Pharoah and Cleopatra games, if anyone has played them. I still love that game.

15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

YES. I can play Pharaoh+Cleopatra, Emperor, Zeus/Poseidon, and Caesar III any day.

Also, dunno how many played these space RTS games but I lvoed them:

Imperium Galactica & Imperium Galactica II: Alliances
    Homeworld

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Worms Revolution is free to play on steam this weekend, and 50% off for that matter. It's a remake of the older worms games.

Oz
  17. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Already listed PC games, so here's my old favourites on consoles: The Ninja (Sega Master System), A Link to the Past (SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Super Metroid (SNES), Pokemon Red (GB), Goldeneye (N64), Ocarina of Time (N64), Majora's Mask (N64), Star Wars Episode I: Racer (N64), Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64). These were probably the games I played most back in the 90s and early 00s.

The first one, The Ninja, was released in the late 80s and was awesome. I can clearly remember playing the shit out of it when I was five years old.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I played Space Empires III when I was in my early teens and then couldn't remember the name of it for ten bloody years.

19. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Pokemon - Duh

Tibia - My first online game which incorporates many different aspects which I miss in MMOs today.

Age of Empires - Currently playing it on multiplayer with a few friends

Mario Kart - Best SNES game ever.

I just realised I'm currently semi regularly playing 3/4 of my old all time favourite games again. Although on a new console of the Mario Kart part. Yay me.

20. Argosh

Argosh Groundskeeper

Doom - every now and then, when I feel the need to vent or something.