1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Common Elements in Naruto

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Halt, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Didn't know where else to post this so...

For those of you who don't know, I started an Archive for Other Fandoms, RWBY and Worm

So I'm planning on going through the "Quality" (lol) Naruto thread to expand the archive next.

Long story short, I assign stories Tags (like A03, except limited to avoid retardation) to stories. These are common elements in a fandom that will help the reader quickly find out what type of story it is without the need for a summary.

In RWBY, there was a Jaune-centric tag, AU, Romance, Minor Character centric and Dark, because those were prevalent in that fandom. In Worm, it was Alternate Power, AU, Minor Character centric, Light, Quests and OC/SI - because OC/SI and Quests were somewhat common.

So what would be the Naruto equivalent? AU could probably apply, as well as Minor Character-centric. Humor? Romance? (I don't read enough Naruto for this). What common trends in the Naruto fandom do you look for/avoid in a story?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
  2. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Pre / post timeskip story start.

Time travel (single / multiple characters).

Non-naruto centric (a deal breaker for many).

Strong team 7 (Not sure how to put it - stories where the premise is basically 'Kakashi does a proper job training team 7').

AU & humor are good. Not sure that romance would pop up that often given DLP's tastes.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    SI needs to be a tag, considering the slew of (shitty) SI stories people have been throwing around lately. I for one want to be able to dodge those at a glance.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You don't like SI stories?

I for one would be interested in reading a story where You wake up one day as Naruto ;)

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

In my experience, especially in Naruto, SIs are simply an excuse for someone to masturbate furiously to the sound of their own voice.

I'm sure there's a couple that are done well and make coherent, meaningful stories, but it's by far the exception.

6. Andrela

I think there is a difference between a self-insert story and a story about a person from the real world being sent to a fictional one.

After all, the author can come up with an OC instead of sending himself.

7. Halt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't SI, by definition, "person from the real world being sent to a fictional one"?

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    SI stands for Self Insert.

But most OC stories, and literally every single (modern guy/girl reincarnates into Narutoverse) are SIs, even if the author claim they aren't.

9. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know what I'd like to see? An SI written entirely in First person from the SI's POV and the SI isn't referred to by name. A bit tricky to pull off but possible. Alternatively, an SI written in Second person which is probably even harder. The ideal story would be similar to the "You Decide" type of books (i.e Go to Chapter 31 if you wish to kill Haku or Chpater 39 if you wish to spare him.).

But back to the thread at hand:

• Obviously you would put in the genre which should be 2 most of thetime (i.e Action and Comedy). Though you may have to occasionally add a third in case someone does a 'wird' combination (Such as Angst, Tragedy and Comedy).
    • The next would be the pairing and ONLY the dominant two pairings. A third may be needed sometimes but only if the pairing shows up more often than not. This does NOT mean that youlist pairigns such as Minato/Kushina or Fugaku/Mikoto.
    • If it is Minor Character Centric then you can either use both that tag and the name of the minor character or (My personal preference) just list the minor character as the first tag.
    • If there any MAJOR changes to the unverse (Such as Mianto and Kushina alive) then list those as well though most of the time a good writer would have incorporated that intot eh summary.
    • Time travel, if not mentioned in the summary, should also be included.
    • Basically anything that is prevalent should be included. For example, you wouldn't list Harry Potter as a Time Travel tag just because time turners were in it.

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Beyond what has been already said Alternate Teams is a pretty common trope. Pre-Naruto stories are also somewhat common, if to a lesser extent.

Good job on the archives! It's really helpful.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The only good SIs as SIs are the ones that purposefully play with the concept. Otherwise just about every good SI I've ever read could have just been an OC and been far more interesting as a result

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

As others have said, "Team 7" in Naruto is a tag in the sense that there are a lot of stories that focus on the team as much or more than it focuses on Naruto himself, even if the story is from Naruto's POV. In HP fic, the equivalent would be stories that focus on the trio as a group moreso than on Harry doing things solo, even if Harry is still the only POV character.

It's a thing, as someone else noted.

Obvious ones include pre-timeskip or post-timeskip.

Time Travel turns up rather often in Naruto. As does... how to put it, "Alternate Teams" maybe? Any story where the teams aren't set up as in canon. This often materializes as either (1) Sakura being replaced by the author's favorite character, or (2) Naruto being placed on a different team altogether.

I think you can make OC/SI centric one tag. SIs are essentially OCs, so just combine those tags imo. The main difference, regardless of technical terms, tends to be that an SI is from 'our world' and therefore has extra knowledge regarding the manga/anime.

AU is another solid one. Often something will change a fundamental aspect of Naruto's character. Maybe he was raised by the Sandaime instead of left to fend for himself (Shezza), maybe he can only use Wind Chakra (Menace), maybe the villages don't exist because the era of warring clans never ended (Kenchi618), or maybe someone just gave Naruto more of Minato's brilliance and less of Kushina's hyperactiveness.

That's what immediately comes to mind. Naruto centric, Team7 centric, OCSI centric, Time Travel, and AU. Differentiate by pre-timeskip or post-timeskip.

There's loads more potential tags of course, but those are the ones that most immediately come to mind for me.

13. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

It also might be worth adding a category for the publication year. With a series as long-running as Naruto (15 years), as opposed to a series that wrapped itself up quickly (Worm, 2 years) or doesn't have a lot of material (RWBY), the date a fic was started plays a big role on the story. Some plot elements hadn't been introduced, and the series itself shifted in tone drastically at several points.

14. Halt

So Tags for Naruto are:

AU: Alternate Universe
    Min: Minor Character Centric
    7: Strong Team 7
    AltTeam: Alternate Teams
    TT: Time Travel
    OC/SI: Original Character/Self-Insert Centric

With columns for:
    Pre or Post Timeskip (Timeskip referring to the gap between Naruto and Shippuden?)
    Humor/Crack/Parody
    Oneshot/Short/Snippet
    Pairing (which incorporates Romance into it)

15. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Would that include every character that's not Naruto? I could see people getting confused about the 'minor' part.

I feel like these conflict a little. Is there a good way to denote a strong central team without specifically referring to it being team 7? You may have Naruto on an alternate team not named 7, for instance, but the story still focuses on their strength.

16. Halt

Essentially yes, Minor-character centric refers to any non-Main Character getting central focus in a story. It's a bit confusing, but then again, I do post a copy of the Legend/FAQ/How-to-use Guide on the excel (in the form of notes) as well as on DLP whenever I update in the relevant threads.

You mean merge the two tags into one? It's easy enough to do. We'll just call it something like Team-Centric tag (Team, for short) and explain that these stories have a strong focus on the team and not just Naruto. These would encompass both the canon and non-canon teams.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd leave Team7 and AltTeam separate. If I was browsing for fics to read I'd be very interested in the first and not interested in the second. They are different things. One of them follows canon (Team7) to a point, and the other does not.

18. Voyager1

Voyager1 Squib

High Score:
    "Bloodline" has become significantly less popular recently, but even so I still see it pop up every so often. A lot of people are writing Mokuton Naruto stories which are actually pretty dope so I don't mind.

19. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Earth, fire, wind, water and heart.

20. Andrela

Naruto / Captain Planet crossover, please?