1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kurufinwe, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I wanted to write this topic for a long time now, as a very active player of current CS and previous version (1.6 to be precise), with ESL One Colonge coming up I though what better time. ESL One is one of the major tournament(there are four in a year - something like a mini-international) for every one who is interested what cs is about this is very good event to check it out. I will leave the link to a reddedit thread with all the info for anyone interested.

I myself played 1.6 for about 3 years from 2005-2008, and come back after hearing about Global Offenisve and giving it a try. I love the competitive aspect of the game, I try to compete with some of the best in my country but I have still much to learn. I love the tactical side of game, all the nades and combination you can do (I was in game leader for all my teams, so yeah I know its important). I know that most people are casual players and that's fine, some like skins and betting other hates it and so on. Tell me what you like/dislike in game, what you think will be it future and lets just discuss this title which is the most popular FPS in the world right now.

Link:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3hb2gt/esl_one_cologne_2015_schedule_discussion/

P.S. For anyone interested my rank is Global Elite, and i'm trying to break the barrier of top5 teams in my country - Poland. Sorry for any mistakes :)

2. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Well, I really like the competetive aspect of the game that exists through all skill levels and what that entails (Great teamplay etc which is fun.) It seems as if you never really get tired of playing the game.

(Rank SMFC)

3. Alpharius

Alpharius First Year

Love this game. I've gotten trashed so many times, but the times you crush whatever ranking you're on and move on make it worth it. There are few games in any genre with more depth, and certainly not in the FPS genre.

On the training_aim_csgo2 workshop map, I'm averaging low to mid-30s out of 50 dots.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213240871 A few times I've hit 40 out of 50, but not consistently. There is definitely a ceiling to this game. I've seen videos of the Swedish players nailing 100 out of 100 shots (friberg) and it's ridiculous. Also seen them track the moving zigzagging bulls-eye on the other practice map and not miss one shot.

And that's just one component of what makes a good CS:GO player. Not only the crosshair control and reflexes, but paying attention to sound, mastery of grenades, skill with the pistols, being able to predict what the other team is going to do. The mental side of things as well.

I'm Master Guardian I. Even in the midranks the AWPers from the last Gold Nova level can already flick-kill you on sight. I'm a little slow on the game sense side of things, I still find myself getting insta-gibbed by an AWPer, run into prenades, die because I forgot I still had a flash on me. The guys I party with are just a ragtag group, one day I'll nudge everyone to start practicing our strats more.

It's an immensely fun game. Every time you get a headshot kill through the smoke on A doors on dust, or stay calm, and burst fire to get the kill while being flashed, or outgunning an AK47/M4A1 with a cheap Ump or the Tech 9 on an eco round is amazing. You can't get that feeling from playing something like Starcraft or Call of Duty.

I have a hard time mastering the full spray-down on moving targets. Not when they're just A-D strafing, but actually omving. Usually, the first 5-bullets of the spray pattern with the AK47 or M4A1 is enough, but very so often you're in a 2v1 situation and the recoil can't reset in time for you to get the second guy.

Good luck in your quest to break into the top 5. Could you maybe describe some of the process you underwent on your road to Global Elite?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I only recently started playing about a month or so ago, but I used to play the original back in 2000-2003 before Steam come out. Used to go down the local internet cafe and it was pretty much the only game anyone played. Got pretty good at the game, then I moved country and stopped playing.

I haven't played ranked yet. Correction -- my first game was a ranked game because Jon accidentally queued us for it. I was horrible. I just play casual.

Favourite parts of the game? The fast pace. The fact that I can join and leave at any time I want, so I'm not forced to complete a game if I don't have the time -- casual only, of course. Learning the various maps and how to exploit them with positioning and throwing grenades off surfaces. The hilarious people you get on voice chat -- this might be an Australian/NZ thing, because I've been told hardly anyone speaks in a lot of the other regions unless in competitive. Down here, you get all the bogans and it is glorious.

Worst things about the game? Probably the hackers. They are everywhere. Even in casual. But since it is casual, you don't really care all that much, but it does ruin the fun.

I've never watched the pros play. I tend to stick to League of Legends for that. Might catch ESL One Colonge if I remember, just to have a look.

Congrats on being GE, as well. Well done.

5. Ankan

Ankan Professor

In my experience casual games is filled with people who speaks their own languages to eachother, so everytime I play a casual game I get ready to mute people)

6. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

About aim training in general - yes the map you play is good, but it's not the best solution to play all the time, I would advice to play aim_botz with bots stationary and aim fast reflexes with bots moving. You can also train sprays on both, probably if you saw friberg videos you saw him teaching about spay patterns. I agree with all he says but can add one more advice - train your spay pattern on maps like aim_botz in specific way: turn off infinity ammo, close all space but one and start with crosshair placed on one bot, then after firing don't let go of mouse1 and transfer your crosshair to other bot, and learn to transfer your spray it really helps with in game aspect of spraying. Alone with only aim skills you can rank about Legendary Eagle, to rank more you have to think or use brain as I call it :D (try to outsmart your enemies, learn some tricks, nades and tactics and so on) in aim I also include things like movement and crosshair placement. You can check all this on youtube, there are many tutorials online.
    Links to maps I mentioned:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243702660&searchtext=
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368026786&searchtext=

About road to global elite - I am GE for a long time now, I was before big VAC ban wave, and I don't really play matchmaking - the last 30 games I played, I won like 24, and lost 3 times lost and tied each. I prefer faceits if I pug and don't play with my team. There are popular leagues faceits more in eu and esea in na - the quality of servers and players is much better than on valve :) Remeber to always have fun, I myself am person who have with seeing of improvement so yeah I grinned that game ( I have over 4k hours only in csgo) with improving aim, learning and discovering new nades and tactics.

Yeah the pros play in another level and I recommend you to catch it. Last major event at Katowice, grand final had over 1 mln users watching live on twitch it was fantastic :) You can also try to catch groups, only because there are 2 Australians teams on this major, they are not predicate to advance but who knows maybe they can surprise all :) Here you have some au times:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3hfhi5/esl_one_cologne_australian_schedule/

About cheaters its like this in almost all fps unfortunately. There will be always people with some kind of wallhack and aimbots. Valve is fighting with them they are analyzing all cheats and are upgrading vac, you hear about vac waves all the time - but with csgo so cheap - cheaters just buy new accounts - They are trying to fight it with levels now so only people with level 3 can joining competitive - but some other people do business and sell accounts already with level 3. About communication I think that its better in regions like au and us, but in europe yeah you have all this nation and sometimes its hard when you have some russian who don't speak english in your match :)

7. Ankan

Ankan Professor

So first day of Cologne was really interesting with Fnatic, TSM, VP and Envyus ahead of their groups.

What prediction do you guys have on how the rest of the tournament will play out?

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I bought GO when it first came out but then took a break from any kind of competitive gaming and am only just now really beginning to get into it. I'm ranked DMC, but I've got fewer than 50 competitive games under my belt.

Watching Cologne has been a lot of fun. I was rooting for CLG but they just got dropped out by NaVi in one of the closest games I've ever seen.

FTR, if any Euros from DLP are up for some queuing/teaching a little nooblet, I'd be happy for some chilled people to play with.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  9. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

It's really fun in lower part of the bracket with fnatic vs nip/virtus.pro. I think final will be like fnatic vs tsm and fnatic wining whole thing, envyus didn't show anything special and nip got destroyed by TSM, so I say semi-final virtus vs fnatic, and I'm mad that so not the final fnatic because virtus wins versus TSM all the time, but what can you do :) We had some surprises today - like Kinguin wining with c9 and clg over titan and just now flipside beat mouz. So maybe on Sunday virtus can surprise versus fnatic :)

10. Alpharius

Alpharius First Year

I think fnatic is going to remain dominant for the near-to-mid future. NiP did come close in 2015 Katowice, but usually they get trashed by fnatic in the finals. They have beaten fnatic once though. fnatic is too flexible - they have two of the top 0.01% of AWPers in olofmeister and JW, and the whole team is great at rifling. I thought flusha got caught cheating though, but he's still playing.

I've really only watched NiP and Titan, I've seen the other teams like fnatic, Navi, and VirtusPro incidentally as the teams NiP and Titan have faced. They consistently bring the most flair, particularly Titan with KennyS and their random ultra-aggressive and ambitious strategies like swarming catwalk with pistols, and pulling it off against full-buy opponents, and in NiP's case, it's pretty entertaining to watch them try to overcome the fnatic juggernaut.

11. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    CSGO y do u break my heart?

After Renegade's performance against Titan I was hoping they'd progress, but no. Apparently I should stop favouring teams because it just means they get beat :c

12. Ankan

Ankan Professor

To be fair that is only within the last year (counting in end of 2014).

---------- Post automerged at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

I agree with you mostly there.

Although NiP have a slight chanse of upsetting VP in the quarters (small but possible), I believe that VP will win over them even though the fanboy in me wants NiP to win.

13. Torric

Torric Third Year

Never favour an Oceanic team. The best of our region is just so far ahead of their local competitors that they never get any meaningful training, when they go up against real teams they're more likely to fall apart than win. Titan was a fluke.

Beyond that, I've played against some of the Renegades players before. They're so tilty, I've seen AzR and SpunJ completely crush entire teams on their own one day and then be absolutely useless multiple games in a row the next day.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've now got enough XP to start playing competitive. Had my first competitive game this evening, was all kinds of fun. Much better than casual... I actually played far better than I usually play. I guess the sense that there were some kind of stakes made me play more cautiously rather than my usual "charge through the smoke" devil-may-care attitude. It also helped that I had the good luck of landing with an awesome team. We absolutely steamrolled lol.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Looks like there's a first time for everything.

[​IMG]

(Click through to imgur then click again to embiggen)

If only we'd won lol.

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Am playing competitive matches to try to get a rank (you need to win 5 competitive matches to display a rank).

Unfortunately I just keep losing lol.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haven't played CS since 1.6, but my brother has been playing 1.6 and GO for 12 years, now playing at Div 1 national level (in fact, currently playing the qualifies for the $55k ESL Invitational being held in Melbourne). It really seems competitive CS:GO is really taking off. Might not have the insane prizes that appear in LoL or DotA2, but seems to be catching up to SC2, with a lot of players actually managing to be on salary.

Locally it's suddenly doing great too, since an Australian team (Vox Eminor, now Renegades) actually did really well at ESL, bringing a wave of local sponsorship and competitions ($55k for a local comp is unheard of here). Probably only gonna get bigger from here.

I think the format of CS works really well as a competitive esport and I'm surprised more games don't go with it. No respawns until the round ends adds a layer of team strategy and high tension that you just don't get in any FPS that has instant respawns. At a high level it's all about that tactical awareness, everyone in the team knowing what they need to do with minimal communication and strategy - not just aim.

It's also great that GO seems to have a system in place for actually setting up wars, which is the real game - not just pubbing on 32 player servers. Back in 1.6, you were limited to hanging out in IRC channels to form random 5v5 matchups (pugging) or actually be in a comp with a team.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  18. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Isn't it 10?

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Don't know why I typed 5 lol. You need 9 wins.

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10 wins I thought. Your placement is calculated by your performance in each individual round btw, it's basically an elo system.