1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

cover songs you just can't get enough of

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Anarchy, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Sorry if this is a repeat or unworthy thread, but I did not see anything similar in previous 10 pages.

There are a lot of cover songs out there, some good, some bad, some terrible, and some that are better than the originals.

I suppose before I list my top 5 ( or maybe 10) i shall impose a few rules. Firstly) No Bob Dylan covers, as his songs have been covered 5 billions times by 10 billion different artists. Secondly) The cover must remain faithful to the song. Thirdly) a youtube or similar link to the song would be most welcome so we can hear it for ourselves. Fourthly) no songs that are simply 'inspired' by a previous work (dark moor - swan lake)

Feel free to list more than five, or even the ones you hate. Brief explanations as to why you like the song are also nice.

Before I started, I guess I should say I listen mostly to metal, so that is what most of my covers are. And I listen to a lot of covers, I probably got over 100 songs.

My list

1) Hallowed be Thy Name - Machine Head (original - Iron Maiden) amazing cover, the heavier vocals really add a lot to the song. Better that the original. They also have a good cover of Metallica's Battery, but I'll refrain from posting the band twice on the list. There is also another good cover of this song done by Iced Earth. There are a tone of Iron Maiden covers out there of all their songs (and over a dozen tribute albums) but this is my favorite of them all.

2) Separate ways - Warmen (Original - Journey) The original by Journey is very good as is, but I think the cover singer just makes it even more epic and better than the original.

3) Cat Scratch Fever - Pantera (Original - Ted Nugent) Very good.

4) Rasputin - Turisas (Original- Boney M) The lyrics are just so catchy.

5) Turn the Page - Metallica (Original - Bob Seger)

Honorable mentions

Ghost Riders in the Sky - the outlaws (Original - Stan Jones?)

Ides of March - Arch Enemy (Original - Iron Maiden)

Symphony of Destruction - Arch Enemy (Original - Megadeth)

Paint it Black - dark seed (Original - Rolling Stones) The only good metal cover of the song out there.

My Friend of Misery - Dark Tranquility (Original - Metallica) I think the heavier vocals make the song better, plus the livelier solo.

live and let die - Guns and Roses (Original - wings) everyone has probably heard this one.

Believe in nothing - All That Remains (Original - Nevermor) I have not actually listened to the orginal, as i like this cover so much I don't want to ruin it.

There are many more I could add, as there are tons of good Iron Maiden and Metallica covers, mostly by bands such as Ensiferum, Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica and Machine Head. Not to mention Apocalpytica
    Hate;
    Paint it Black - Black Dahlia Murder. Terrible and mostly incoherrant, despite the fact i like the band.
    Hallowed Be Thy name - Cradle of Filth. a terrible cover by a terrible band, and unfaithful to the song

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only one I ever really remember when it comes to covers is Sonata Arctica's cover of Die With Your Boots On (by Iron Maiden). I've got all their albums too and they're god damn fucking awesome. Side note: Full Moon is my favourite of their songs.

On a much less heavy metal related note, Rufus Wainwright's version of Hallelujah still hits me to the core (a lot because Peter Shoulder's was played at my father's funeral, but still one of the best and most emotional songs I've ever heard).

Not sure if it's skirting the line for 'inspired by' covers, but Gary Jule's Mad World is awesome. Tainted Love by Marilyn Manson also skirts the line in this regard.

3. Anarchy

Die with your boots on is very good. I would have listed it but I allready had a a few IM covers on my list. This page has a lot of IM cover songs. I was mainly focusing the 'inspired by' towards the vast majority of 'neo-classical power metal' songs that make use of various classical music tunes.

4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. Anarchy

6. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

7. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

8. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Ra - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (The Police)

Evans Blue - Possession (Sarah McLachlan)

Yeah, I know. a McLachlan song. Evans Blue takes her beautiful song and turns it into an awesome hard rock song.

I'd also like to add that Memory King's suggestion of Disturbed's version of Land of Confusion is awesome.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

BSuperB: Have to disagree about Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar. They made it very generic and dull imo. Has nothing on Lizzy's version.

Stairway to Heaven - Frank Zappa. Nothing on the original but quirky and funny. The solo's pretty awesome too.

Dream Theater - The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/Song Remains The Same Another Zeppelin cover, and fucking amazing.

Electric Light Orchestra - Roll Over Beethoven. Really funky Chuck Berry cover.

Metallica - Astronomy. A Blue Oyster Cult cover, and one of my favourite songs. Almost as good as BOC. BOC have two version of this song though, and both rock.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Billy Jean. Probably the greatest live band I have ever seen and definitely the best Billi Jean performance. This video doesn't begin to do the justice.

The Foo Fighters and Brian May - Have A Cigar. Pink Floyd cover and I think it's a lot better. The heavier riffs are awesome. :3

The Answer - Sweet Emotion. Not really much of an Aerosmith fan, but The Answer kick ass.

The Answer - Preachin'. Cover of an old church song. Mahon's slide guitar work is amazing. I spent weeks listening to this song.

And the last for the end.

John Mayer - Little Wing. A jimi Hendrix cover. One I've been looking for the name of the artists who did the cover for months now and just happened to find out who it was when looking for a Stevie Ray Vaughan vid to put up. :awesome Anyway, the guitar work is fantastic, and he has a good voice.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Surprised to not see these...

Shiny Toy Gun's cover of Peter Shilling's Major Tom (Coming Home is <3... And no. Its not a Bowie song. Shilling only used Major Tom.

My American Heart's cover of California Luv is actually surprisingly awesome...

And surprisingly the best song on the album (Punk Goes Crunk) is Scary Kids Scaring Kids' cover of Bone/Biggie's Notorious Thugs

Sia's cover of The Church's Under the Milky Way

Other notable covers I like are Goodnight Nurse's Milkshake, Vanilla Sky's Umbrella, and The Secret Handshake's I Wish(Original by Skeelo)

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

These.

Also:

- Alien Ant Farm "Smooth Criminal" (Michael Jackson)

- Eva Cassidy "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper)

- Diana Krall "The Look of Love" (Burt Bacharach) and "Walk On By" (Dionne Warwick)

- Josh Hoge "So Sick" (Ne-Yo)

- Mike Viola "Be My Baby" (The Ronettes)

- Kevin McHale (from Glee) "Dream A Little Dream" (Louis Armstrong)

- The Used "Burning Down the House" (Talking Heads)

- Norah Jones "Are You Lonesome Tonight" (Elvis)

- Joe Anderson "Hey Jude" (The Beatles)

- Orgy "Blue Monday" (New Order)

- Eric Benet "Georgey Porgy" (Toto)

- Billy Crawford "Human Nature" (Michael Jackson)

- Alanis Morisette "Crazy" (Seal)

- Jamie Cullum "Frontin" (The Neptunes) and "Singing In the Rain" (Gene Kelly)

- Jason Mraz "Summer Breeze" (The Isley Brothers)

- Brian Setzer "Route 66" (Nat King Cole)

- Joe "Can't Get Over You" (Frankie Beverly and Maze)

- Red Hot Chili Peppers "Higher Ground" (Stevie Wonder)

- Paramore "Hero" (Foo Fighters)

- Michael McDonald "I Want You" (Marvin Gaye)

- The Black Crowes "Hard to Handle" (Otis Redding)

12. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The only one I can think of that I like would be a Beat it (Micheal Jackson) cover By Fall out Boy.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Holy crap, how the hell did I miss those... D:

Eh She didn't do bad.. However, I think Quietdrive and Matchbox 20 did a bit better... Novaspace an honorable mention...

Chris Cornell covering Billie Jean was awesome too...

And I haven't looked on Youtube but I've got a live bootleg CD from Breaking Benjamin with these covers;

[Depeche Mode] Enjoy the Silence
    [Deftones] Bored
    [A Perfect Circle] Judith
    [Rage against the Machine] Bulls on Parade
    [Godsmack] Awake
    [Godsmack] Whatever
    [Tool] Sober
    [Tool] Ænema
    [Tool] Stinkfist
    [Cold] No One

Breaking Benjamin Covers <3

15. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

NO. You can't beat Bruce Dickinson. :mad:

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hm, ok, so the term "Cover Song" is not one I'm familiar with. Wikipedia informs me that cover songs are songs that have been re-done by someone other than the original recorder/artist/whatever, so I'll go with that.

Assuming that's accurate, this version of 99 Red Balloons is the only Cover I've encountered (to my knowledge anyway, I'm sure there are others I didn't realize were covers). I thought it was neat to hear the song re-done, but I wouldn't say that I "couldn't get enough of it."

Gonna go listen to some of these now. ;)

17. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Sea of Treachery "Misery Business" (Paramore)

Vitamin String Quartet "Follow" (Breaking Benjamin)

A Day To Remember "Over My Head" (The Fray)

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head at the moment.

18. J22

J22 Seventh Year

This.
    And This.

I'll also add Hound Dog by Elvis (Originally by Big Mama Thornton, if anyone cares)

19. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

On A Night Like This by Lord.

Truly, you have to listen to this to experience the sheer awesomeness and mindfuckery it is. NSFW

Battery (Metallica) and Wishmaster (Nightwish) covers by Van Canto, an A capella band from Germany.

20. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm stunned not to see Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt originally by Nine Inch Nails. It is absolutely the best cover of a song I've ever heard - far surpassing the original.