1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crossover idea?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jenkins, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Ok, so I had a vaguely thought up plot for a HP/Dresden crossover.The basic premise is that both Harry and Voldemort receive help from the Dresdenverse (so as to balance each other out).

My idea was, that Voldemort was a White Court vampire from birth. Now before you go all 'Vampire!Succubus!Voldemort = buttsecks!', just wait. You should all recall that White Courts feed off the essence of life and emotion, not specifically sex. I figure Voldemort would take the route of a Malvora vampire. He'd feed off of fear. The sheer amount of it surrounding him would make him incredibly powerful. People are even too scared to say his name, his followers are terrified of him, and wherever he goes he scares people shitless. Perfect for a White Court.

Back story could be that the Slytherins, more specifically the Gaunts are a long line of White Court vampires. At the very least, either Merope or Tom Riddle were. Merope used her sexual powers to draw in Tom Riddle, originally for feeding perhaps, but lost control when she fell in love and he left her. Wizards of the HP verse, being as ignorant as they are, pinned it as a love potion.

There are many mentions in the HP series about how charming, respected and well-liked Riddle was in school. Could be attributed to White Court tendencies. They don't come into their Hunger until mid-late teens anyway I think. Which was when Riddle started to kill and seek immortality.

Anyway, with Voldemort as an intensely powerful fear-feeder of the White Court, Harry realizes he needs to get some extra strength to defeat him. Enter Queen Mab. Supposing this is set after the events of Summer Knight, there's a free space. Now you can set it to either Mab finds Harry, or Harry summons Mab, but either way he can take up the mantle.

From here it could go a fair few ways. If you want to fully include the Dresdenverse, perhaps have Harry convince Mab that it is worth fighting the vampires. White Court sides with the Reds, while Winer joins the White Council. Voldemort vs Harry. Mab can call in Dresden's favours, maybe to protect Harry or something.

It's just a small idea, that I probably won't write but put up as somewhat of a challenge. What do you think? Flesh out some details, we can...

EDIT: Here's a quote from Wiki about White Courts vamps.

People could always go with Dumbledore's theory about the power he knows not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not so much a challenge as an idea, since there isn't much in the way of plot mentioned. Otherwise I would be forced to point out that White Court vampires always have that 'unearthly beauty' thing going on, and Merope Gaunt was anything but beautiful. You could go with Tom Riddle being a White Court vamp but then you lose a major aspect of Voldemort's personality.

He hates muggles because his father abandoned him and his mother, and if you make his father just another vampire you've removed the source of that hatred. Without that it would be unlikely that he would start his attacks against muggles, which is how he recruited so many purebloods to his cause. You'd be effectively de-fanging him as he wouldn't have the rabid hatred to start his reign of terror.

On a separate note, the idea of anyone convincing Mab to do anything just strikes me as unbelievable. She's a Faerie Queen. More specifically the Winter Queen that Is. Mortals do not come off for the better when they make deals with her. It would just end up as a fic where Harry ends up becoming Mab's bitch because he was too stupid to think about her offer before accepting.

As well as that, the opportunity for overpowering one 'verse over the other would be there all the time. Dresdenverse magic is severely limited in power compared to Potterverse magic. The reason I enjoy so many of the HP/Dresden crossovers is because HP magic is either made more difficult, the enemies are more powerful or because Harry has a major weakness that makes him vulnerable (being an Outsider).

On the other hand, the white court thing would mix well with the blood protection that Lily placed on Harry as a child. White Court vamps are physically burned by those who have been in love, and isn't it said that Harry has his mother's love protecting him?

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I think the idea has some merits, but as Aelkiel you need to give Voldemort a reason for his hatred of muggles.

4. phalanx

phalanx Squib

Actually i wouldn't consider potter magic to be stronger(at least in combat against) against dresden magic. Sure they have some cool abilities like teleporting, but in a actual fight i think Dresdenverse magic has a bigger punch.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I generally don't like this 'type' of an idea. This is a pretty typical crossover format. That being where one verse is co-opted in another by aligning the two opposing sides of verse A with that of verse B.

I agree that your idea is slightly different in that it is perhaps two factions of "bad guys" from Dresden Verse taking sides in Potter Verse conflict, but it doesn't change the fact that the ultimate good (Harry Potter) and ultimate evil (Voldemort) of Potter verse become pawns in Dresden Verse.

Sort of a fall from their stature. It takes away their uniqueness.

I would add just that little thing that ensures that Voldemort is a force to be reckoned with, either because of a prophecy or some other reason in the Dresden verse.

Also that would mean that Dresden verse powers would have a vested interest in the Potter verse conflict.

Them just being pawns of their respective factions makes me wonder why would anyone care.

I see Mab going, let 'em duke it out, if Voldemort wins I'll make him my new knight. I can't see them being pushed about how evil Voldemort is...they live in the effing Nevernever.

6. RJL333

RJL333 Third Year

With the idea of how Harry gets connected to Mab you could have him being part fey or maybe he has 'True Wizard' potential. Another idea is that if there is a horocux(spelling) hunt they go to Dresden because of his skill at finding things (this idea better for Nightside books). For the 'True Wizard' idea if you want him in there universe but not liked then maybe he could be related to Kemmler? I have lots of ideas, with many being semi-cliched, but I have no ideas for a plot.

7. Nuhuh

Someday I am going to kill Shezza for starting this "true" wizard nonsense.

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Ha. Aha. Ahahahahahaha......hah...

I'd like to rape you for the stupidity of this comment, but I'll wait for the Canon-Nazi's to come along, as they'll do it better then I could ever hope to.

9. Nuhuh

In before:

Summoning satellite from mother effing space to destroy a vampire fortress > Collective Potterverse offense/defensive magic.

10. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Note: We're talking about who would win a fight, so apparate behind DV wizard AK him (which goes through magical shields), and apparate to Hawaii before satellite drop.

When it comes to raw firepower, lots of people are stronger then a HP wizard. But so what?

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Oh look, here is a thread of hair from Potter, lets go make his heart explode with a ritual!"

Dresdenverse magic is stronger, in that it can effect you directly, without the caster having to be anywhere near you.

Potterverse magic is stronger when you are standing in front of them with a wand, in combat with them.

That is at least, my oppinion.

12. Nuhuh

Dunno if you read Demon's Feign, but I use that tack in that. The apparation and avoidance of powerful elemental magic being shot at you.

And for some reason, I thought we were talking about power.

At any rate, there was a big thread about this, somewhere around here.

Edit. The satellite is heat magic signature seeking. lolwtfpwn.

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Just start writing fanfics in the Denarianverse and be done with it.

14. phalanx

phalanx Squib

Ryuugi Shi what I tried to said is that Dresdenverse magic is a hell of a lot more powerful, but Potter magic has an Apparition, and in a fight, that's a good advantage.
    Still that doesn't mean Potter verse wizard would always win aginst Dresden wizard's.
    Dresden shields are shown to be more powerful than an protego, and was we can see protego in potter block almost anything (except ak, ...?).
    You can actually dogde potter spells, where is a lot harder to so against the majority of dresden spells, and not forget that one of dresden verse wizard's can cast spells without even blink, and reduce the other to ash (altough Ivy is a special case).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  15. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

You'd kill me, N? I'm hurt, I truly am.

I'm with Tehan. Why go to all the trouble of creating a crossover when there's a decent lack of quality DF fics? It wouldn't even need to be that good and we'd all still flock to it. Plus, since there's so little of it, the amount of concpets you can play around with that haven't become cliche's is pretty awesome.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Er, what? Protego is pretty much the ultimate shield. It blocks everything. Add in that it will never break, never run out of power, never weaken depending on the caster and you've got a night unbeatable way to protect yourself from evocation magic.

I don't recall many moments in HP where spells were dodged, blocked yes, dodged no. Also, Dresden spells still follow a couple of the laws of physics, so they are easier to dodge (and even the entropy curse could be evaded to a degree) while Potter magic seems to be almost instantaneous.

While Dresdenverse magic is very impressive, what good can it do against a wizard who can block every spell you cast, apparate across the world, never run out of energy for spells and completely bypass any shield you set up.

Admittedly Potter magic is a bit lacking in the long range department, and if you get hold of his Name he's pretty much fucked, but that branch of magic takes time to get right and all the major spells (like heart exploding and the entropy curse) need a lot of magic to power them.

And even with that, the Taboo would render all that moot if it was placed on the name Harry James Potter (or whoever the unfortunate wizard is that gave his Name away).

Still, I like Dresden magic more than HP. The HP magic system was based around the plot, which means there's a spell for pretty much everything, if the author wants it.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not trying to fuel a debate, but how would you block thamaturgy?

18. phalanx

phalanx Squib

Aekiel i think you're wrong about Protego. In canon, we never see the shield stay on like you say. We see someone cast the shield spell to block, we never see the shield on after blocking. I always thought that you would need to use the shield charm again to block some new attack, I may be wrong if so i would like for you to tell me in wich chapter we see that.

In what refers to block or dogde a spell you'll see that's faster and easier to move a litle to the side that to mutter a counter-curse or a shield.

You also said that a Potter verse wizard can block everything a Dresdenverse Wizard can evocate, i would like you to elaborate on that, and also on the fact that in your opinion Potterverse magic will simply "completely bypass" any shield Dresdenverse has.

19. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

First, I remember the Protego spell taking multiple hits, but don't remember the exact location.

Second, you must mutter really slowly.

Third, AK goes through magical shields.

Fourth, you gotz to grammar.

20. phalanx

phalanx Squib

First: English isn't my language, so I apologise to anyone who has to read my post.

Second: Ryuugi Shi, you must move very slowly.

Third: I was talking about all other Potterverse spells, the ones that are not "anti-shield", like the Ak is.

Let's not compare what Voldemort or Dumbledore does, to what Dresden does. Voldemort is the most powerful wizard in Harry Potter. We have never seen any of the most powerful Wizards in Dresden cut loose.

Edit: About protego what I meant is that if you use your wand for any other spell, the shield will collapse, not stay "on", for lack of a better term, contrary to what I think Aekiel was trying to say.