1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Trailer.

Grim and gritty as it should be with this character.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That.... actually does not look terrible.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Huh. It actually looked pretty terrible to me.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd watch it. (If I had Netflix.)

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    What you have to do is get a family mooching network going and share account info. I have HBO, my sister has netflix, my bro has starz, and my parents have comcast xfinity, and we all just share info so we can watch everything we don't have online.

6. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

It looked pretty good. I just hope they don't go full on dark and gritty. This is a world where Rocket Racoon and Howard The Duck are running around, after all. A little bit of dark themes is okay though.

7. Celestin

Another trailer.

If there is one superhero that Marvel can go full dark and gritty with, it's Daredevil. But as presented in the trailer we can expect some moments of humor too since unlike DC they aren't afraid of laughing from time to time. ;)

8. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Im hopeful about this, its going to be like S1 Arrow without the CW romance drama.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watched the first two eps. On a drink break while marathoning the rest, lol.

I'm loving it. Not sure where it's going yet though. I really like Matt, and Claire (prob has something to do with my long standing love for Rosario Dawson...).

Some pretty cool Avengers references too.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The way the fights are filmed. So good.
    It's pretty amazing so far, though I'm only halfway through watching the first episode now.

EDIT: starting episode 3. Holy shit, this is fucking fantastic. That long, long take at the end of episode 2. Damn.
    Not like the plot is bad, either, though it's a little bare-bones so far. Expecting to see that ramped up when the Kingpin makes his appearance.

EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Goddamn that ending to episode 3. Did not see that coming. Fuuuuuck.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I'm four episodes in and fucking loving it. Basically if Guardians Of The Galaxy was the space opera superhero film, and Captain America 2 was the political thriller superhero film, this is basically the ugly noir superhero film that happens to run for ten hours or so and is split into multiple parts. And it's beautiful man, dark and violent (like, even by normal standards, let alone Marvel Cinematic Universe ones. Some crazy shit already) and coasts along coherently and smoothly. If you're okay with a bit of a slow burn in between the fun, you'll love it.

And, like, the fights and shit just have this weight and sluggishness to them that makes you feel as exhausted as Murdock is just by watching, which is neat. Really adds to the atmosphere. Performances great all 'round, especially Cox, Dawson and Woll and especially when they're all beat to shit. And of course, Vincent D'onofrio Kingpin'ing it up? Is just... wow. Dude's scary in a very different way than most, let's just say that much.

So yeah. If you weren't sure before, I'd say give it a look. If you were already sure, I'd say clear your weekend!

12. Celestin

Three episodes in and it appears that Marvel finally made a TV series as good as their best movies. Which means that superheroes just got on a whole new level when it comes to live action productions.

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Saw the first episode and wasn't exactly overwhelmed. It wasn't bad or anything but it didn't make me want to watch episode two either.

His blindness doesn't really seem to affect him at doing anything and no matter how much he fought and got beaten, the next morning he looks like all he did the previous evening was read a book. Not a Dare Devil fan, nor do I know much about him but does he have a healing factor? Thought he "just" had his super-hearing.

Going to check out episode two tomorrow but episode one was just okay. Then again, it really could just be me not being interesting at all in this particular superhero.

The lawyer buddy was fun, though.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Watching the second episode now, and it's so good. Charlie Cox is way better than I was expecting, and I'm really liking Foggy. The fight scenes are brutal - they remind me of watching the Bourne films for the first time. Hell, they're even doing flashbacks pretty well.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm seven in and everything is just ramping up in quality and in scope.

16. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Watching the second one too atm, liking it better than the first - at least the kid's doing a better job at it. The secretary too. Glad to hear it'll get even better.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Jealous how well Matt pulls off those glasses, lol. Looks proper badass. I also love how soft spoken, yet intelligent and powerful he sounds.

Nothing OTT about him.

18. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Honestly man Karen's actor is not pulling in any weight in regards to acting skill. She's the only part that really bothers me, though it has gotten better over the first three episodes.

19. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I just started watching this tonight. Four episodes in so far.

I was a bit disappointed in the fights scene portrayal. I'm not a fan of Daredevil (never read the comics or anything) so I don't know if the big flashy moves were just to keep true to the originals, but some of those moves were just plain stupid. Doing a sacrifice kick while have broken ribs and puncture wounds from a knife fight from like..what 2 hours earlier? I felt like the fight were badly done not only because of that, but also because you can actually see the actors not getting hit. I get it, it's acting, but still, when that knee to the face doesn't even connect to the face and the guy goes down, it just feels cheap. Fighting scenes are a big pet peeve of mine since I've done martial arts for a long time, it's like physics engineer watching sci-fi movies, can't stop seeing everything that's impossible :p

But yeah, it felt like the guys (Daredevil and the villains) should be a lot more beaten up than they are. I wish we could get a fight where he actually uses his skills to incapacitate his enemies (broken bone - knee or arm) and just leave them there instead of punching them in the face and the stomach repeatably and hope it knocks them out. In that sense, the fight in the bowling alley was more "realistic" than any of the other I've seen in this series so far.

Otherwise the actual story is cool so far. I like the other characters, from KID!Matt to his father, Karen and Foggy. Nothing that particularly stands out, but really nothing bad either.

All in all, a good series if you like superheroes I think. It's enjoyable and I've appreciate what I've watched so far.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Dat bowling ball kill.

This is really damn good so far. If they put the same effort into Shield as they did with this and Agent Carter, Marvel would be cleaning up across all the demos.

I noticed the knee gaff too. That's the problem with filming fight scenes with no cuts. More gritty and realistic, but the stage fighting is more visible.