1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's been confirmed that it'll be high school Peter.

Bullseye's actually been hinted at, with

The guy who shoots the cops outside the warehouse having a card in his bag.

To be fair, the similarities between Fisk and Murdock are actually a running theme in the show, and are touched on by Foggy, Vladimir, the Padriesta and Matt himself. A lot of parallels between their childhoods, too. It's one of the big moral dilemmas for him.

2. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

So, is there a category for this on FFnet yet, or somewhere else?

3. Prancatius

Prancatius Squib

Am I the only one that cringes whenever they speak a foreign language, especially the main characters.

4. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

the Kingpin sounds awkward when speaking chinese, but that may be intentional.

5. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Am I the only one who wants to hear Foggy speak Punjabi.

On a more serious note, watched the whole series over the weekend and this show is awesome. Charlie Cox really pulls off Matt Murdoch, you can hear his accent slip through now and then but that doesn't distract from his performance. Someone else mentioned it earlier I think and I agree with it, he's very soft spoken yet at the same time he has a power to his voice. You can see his struggles with his faith as well, which is a big part of the Daredevil mythology, that Matt is a catholic.

Critiques to the character of Matt specifically, he sometimes changes his voice when in the mask but a lot of times he doesn't and I'm surprised no one in-series has recognised that yet. His strength as well seems to have been toned down a hell of a lot compared to the comics, he really has to punch even street level thugs a number of times to KO them and it's quite jarring, especially when you compare it to Oliver Queen in Arrow.

On to Wilson Fisk, it was definitely a very different Wilson Fisk than the one we're used to. He looks sad, like all the time. It's a bit hard to believe that he is so feared, sure he's a big lad with temper issues but I wouldn't say he's intimidating in the way he acts. Tbh he looks like he's gonna break down and cry, plus he's always apologising. I kept thinking that he'd man up and take control of things but it just never happened. Saying that though, no disprespect to Vincent D'Onofrio - the character was written that way so kudos to him for bringing complexity and humanity to the Kingpin.

The fights, man, the fights. Matt sure is acrobatic, And brutal. Jesus, is he brutal. The fights all round are just pure kick ass and for all my gripes about Fisk, the man is a monster when pushed to his limit. I won't say too much as I don't want to spoil anything but some of the fights, especially the long takes, are spectacular.

Side characters. Foggy, he really grew on me. I wasn't quite sure on him to begin with, but he would be an awesome best friend and business partner. Also, how the hell did he get with who he gets with. Respect to Foggy, he is the man. Karen's not as annoying as I thought she'd be, Ben Urich is a tenacious but weary veteran journalist - it was a shame the Bugle had to be written out but on the other hand at least that means the focus is on Matt and not Peter Parker - and Wesley really seemed to care for Fisk, which is something different to the usual henchman types you get in these shows.

I'll finish off on these two notes:-
    1. Matt must have a lot of spare walking sticks.
    2. Easter eggs ahoy, the show is chock-full of them.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, crybaby Kingpin is a funny thought, but I got t kind of the opposite impression. It looks like he's constantly one nanostep away from losing his shit.

It seemed like, especially before Vanessa, he was a walking time bomb, ready to explode at any moment. He's obviously damaged, but that concealed/ persistent rage makes him terrifying.

I also didn't cringe with the foreign languages. It's not their first language, they shouldn't sound natural.

Though Matt's Spanish did - should be noted that I don't speak it, lol.

7. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

To me his Chinese sounded like it was coming through a mouth full of mashed potatoes after running up ten flights of stairs. Still better than in Firefly, though. Madame Gao also enunciated more clearly than just about every Chinese person I've ever met, which I appreciated greatly. Apparently the actress is from Hong Kong, so Mandarin's not her first language, but if she's supposed to be vaguely Triad that would make sense.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Wesley and Fisk's bromance was one of my favorite things in the series. A refreshing change from usual relationships between a boss and his underling.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was legit upset when Wesley got aced. Sly, capable, left-hand of God types make for the absolute best sycophantic henchman.

10. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I really liked how it happened though, like, thank god she called his bluff. They way he acted though, I nearly believed him.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I cheered when it happened. Nothing against him, it was just an awesome scene.

12. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Sad to see Wesley go. Reminded me of Aizen after he slicked back the hair but if he kept the glasses. A bad motherfucker.

13. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is there a way to get my hands on this outside of Netflix?

15. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

There are a couple of Turkish sites where you can easily watch them from and since we have no laws regarding streaming. But I'm not sure whether you can enter the site from your region. I can PM you the link if you still want to try it.

16. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Should be able to find it just fine on vid hosting sites like watch-series. That's where I watched all my netflix stuff before I realized my mother randomly had an account.

17. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I just finished this. It took a while since I was watching it with my dad and hockey's on every other night. :/

I liked it, but I think I liked the first half of the series more than the second half. The season ended pretty predictably, I was expecting a twist of some sort.

When Wesley comforted Fisk after Vanessa got poisoned, I thought for sure Wesley was behind it. Then he got off'd and I was heartbroken. Kinda held out hope he secretly had regenerative superpowers, but nooooo.

RIP Wesley, you were boss.
    I was surprised at how developed all the side characters were. Everyone had their own subplot that came together at the end. It wasn't just Murdoch taking down Fisk's gang by himself.

Probably the biggest disappointment for me was Fisk. I didn't find him intimidating or interesting. He was just a guy. I hope my opinion will change in future seasons.

18. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

You didn't find him interesting? I thought that was an amazing performance. It was one of my favorite parts of the series. I mean he isn't what you would expect, but this is just as much about his origin as it is Daredevil's.

19. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've never read the comics. The actor did well, I agree, and his origin was very good, but Fisk just isn't the sort of character I find threatening.

20. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Don't find him threatening in this series or in the general mythos you'd think him a less dangerous character?

This is probably my favorite rendition of Fisk. Depth and motovation. Plus other than the awkward running, D'Onofrio nails the size and tedious nature of Fisk with an underlying current of boiling rage.