1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  2. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

The beginning of the trailer felt a bit off for me but the second half, as soon as Frank starts talking, gave the comic book fan inside of me chills.

"You hit them and they get back up, I hit them and they stay down."

Also, isn't the following line a line from The Killing Joke? It totally suits Punisher's arc though.

"You know you're one bad day away from being me?"

3. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

It certainly sounds like lines from the Killing Joke and I remember a similar line from an episode of Batman Beyond as well.

Trailer looks good. I'm excited though I could do with some more Elektra.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think I read somewhere that this was a Punisher centric trailer, and we'll be getting an Elektra trailer too. Can't remember where though, but I hope that's true.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know if it's featured elsewhere in the comic world, but it's absolutely in The Killing Joke.

It feels so strange that this trailer also hypes up the fact that the second trailer will be released on the 25th. A trailer hyping a trailer.

I'm assuming the next one will have more Elektra.

6. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Great trailer. Thinking back on season 1, it really stands out to me how fucking amazing D'Onofrio's performance was. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

7. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

No ones been able to get the scan in a timely manner but I've seen a large amount of people claiming that daredevil comics had that line before killing joke made it popular. Plus Daredevil and Batman have a lot of similarities.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know the Joker said it but I don't think he invented it. Alan Moore probably heard it somewhere else too.

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Okay. That looks awesome.

10. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Trailer part 2. Looks really good - and as luck would have it, the series is starting the one weekend in March that I'll be working. Unimpressed!

11. TheProphet1.1

TheProphet1.1 Squib

Dark, violent, grim, and gritty.

12. mrkain

mrkain Second Year

13. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

On episode 8 so far, so good.

That fight scene on the stairs was fantastically filmed

Paige seems very annoying this season so far

Elektra seems pretty awesome so far.

Frank is fantastic - and its less Daredevil vs Punisher than I thought it would be tbh

14. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Two episodes down, taking a break to get things done. Very good so far.

Watched episode three. Great stuff, and a oner (mostly) fight scene to rival the previous series.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Punisher arc was really good. Can't say I'm a fan of the amorous sycophantic thing they're doing with Elektra though.

16. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Eight episodes down. Despite my above enthusiasm, I feel like it took a little longer to really grip me than series 1 - plenty of individually fantastic moments, but the first few episodes didn't have quite the same wow factor as a whole, although they were still very good. Around episode four though, it really started to grip me, and by the end of episode eight I was on the edge of my seat.

Other than that, I just want to take a moment to highlight something that I hope doesn't get lost in the midst of commentary about the Punisher and Elektra; Foggy is absolutely awesome this series. Half the best moments so far have revolved around him stepping up and being an awesome lawyer and all-round decent human being. It's a real improvement from series one.

17. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

One more episode left, hopefully gonna learn some more about the Hand and Frank's circumstances. All I gotta say is Frank's fight scene in episode 9 tops anything I've seen all season.

18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Just finished the season. Not a bad weekend for procrastination v. writing, all things said and done. Though I've neutered my sleep pattern for it.

All in all, I enjoyed the season. The Punisher delivered an absurd amount of punishment, of which I approve. Needs a spinoff.

However, I was bothered by a lot of lazy writing. And also how, as always, the writers' think arrogance = Strong Independent Woman. It does not, for any character. Elektra was the weak link for me, along with Matt's seemingly coming and going super senses. The Hand ninjas he couldn't hear when they didn't draw their swords? Bullshit it took him 12 episodes to figure out to listen to their breath, let alone their footfalls and/or clothing rustle.

But those are minor concerns, however much they distracted me.

Fisk's involvement was brilliant. He's the best villain in the MCU.

19. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I might have to argue this point. Because David Tenant. But other than that, yeah, there were a lot of moments of writing laziness. The not listening to their breaths is probably the most egregious, but
    Murdock's rapid change from, "Nooo, you shouldn't kill anyone, it's up to god!" to smiling as Elektra killed multiple agents of the Hand, was more than a little jarring.
    Although, in response to several of your comments, you can kinda hand-wave the footsteps and their clothing not rustling, because ninjas. But it really doesn't excuse the breath thing, because at that point I'd kinda just assumed (since they can stop/slow their fucking hearts for multiple minutes at a time) that they were just exceptional at holding their breath as well. Not addressing that in a more coherent fashion was probably my biggest pet peeve of the season. And to echo whoever stated it, Foggy was probably the most well done character this season, IMO. The Punisher being a close second.

So was it as good as the first season? No, fuck no, not in anyway shape or form. But it was still an excellent season for a comic book adaptation, especially if you ignore the precedent that the first season set.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Joe
  20. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Unless every one of those ninjas was as neutered as my sleep pattern then Daredevil should have heard their balls rustling against that fabric! I won't budge on this!

I do agree that the season was excellent watching, despite the ball chafing.