1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Knight Trailer and Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Novamute, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

I like it a lot too, but it certainly won't top Wrath of Khan or Usual Suspects in my book.
    Spiderman 3 was absolute crap. I hated the scenes with "Affected Peter"
    It is CERTAINLY the best comic movie ever. And it definately makes my top 10 overall.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I enjoyed the movie, but my inner philosopher particularly enjoyed this exchange:

All you care about is money. This city deserves a better class of criminal, and I intend to give it to them

3. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    QFT.

Anyway, plan to see this soon, see if it lives up to all the hype.

4. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I loved the stories the Joker told about how he got the scars. I think it would have been hilarious if there had been one or two more instances of this. A truly epic movie.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking. Awesome.

But the Batmobile blew up! If they make a sequel, they'd better make a new one...

Oh, and for the next movie:

The Riddler. Batman needs to get in touch with his detective side. The last two movies had him as the 'urban ninja', but Batman has one of the greatest minds in the DCU. Time to bring that out a bit, solving The Riddler's puzzles.

Also, bring on Catwoman. Partly to put Halle Berry in her place, and partly because it touches on the theme of escalation some more. Catwoman, in the comics, was inspired by Batman's appearance...well, in Batman: Year One, at least.

6. Warhorse

Warhorse Squib

Saw it Saturday, going to see it one more time next week. Very good movie. I found myself liking Aaron Eckhart's performance the best. He was great.

Not too sure where you all get off saying the Joker was scary. He was actually funny to me. Very funny. And the audience I was with seemed to agree. I found nothing he did disturbing. The only fucks that have ever disturbed me were the real whack jobs of Jeffery Dahmer and Ed Gein.

I thought the movie was a little long. Like Bruce having to go to China and the stupid side story about the idiot that wanted to black mail, all of that shit was pointless and took away from the plot. Could've used the screen time for more Harvey or Joker.

Oh, I sure hope Bale does something about his Batman voice, he was worse in this movie than he was in BB, and it was probably the reason I hated that movie. This movie had outstanding performances from Eckhart, Ledger, Oldman, Freeman, heck, even the William Fichtner in the beginning was good in the short time he was on screen, but Bale's Batman voice almost ruined the damn movie. He needs to just use his regular voice or get someone else to voice for him in the bat suit, because he sounds like he's constipated, and the whole theater was cracking up at it. I doubt that was the effect Nolan was shooting for.

But good movie, and I will say it here like I've said it on other boards. Don't let Joker die with Heath. If he was meant to come back, then bring him back, this is what Heath would want. Got to let the show go on no matter what!

7. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Batman's voice is supposed to sound weird. He purposely changes it so that it sound weird and so that when he is living his other life no one can trace it to him.

So yeah saw it the other night and well it blew my mind. Honestly I think this was one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life, and I am glad that I saw it on opening weekend. All that actors in the movie were top notch and I found the music to be amazing. I have no idea what it was called but there was that one song that would play and you just knew that there would be sweet action.

For me I found the movie to be just the right length because I was so into it. My friends who I went to see it with said that it was to long, but for me it could have just kept going forever.

For the next villain if Nolan decides to continue I would like to see the Riddler and probably the penguin. If the movie keeps with the maffia feel it would be nice to see them.

Also did any one notice that the mention of the Narrows was never even mentioned. In the 1st movie they are lost and they have no idea what is going to happen to them, and in this one no mention at all.

Oh and "Want to see a magic trick?", was full of epic lulz.

8. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

http://movies.ign.com/articles/892/892656p1.html

IGN just posted a nice article on the topic of villains in the next Batman movie. They want Talia al Ghul and Riddler as the villains, and I happen to agree with them. They make a nice case for both of them, including stories on how they would fit in Nolan's world.

Be warned major SPOILERS in the article.

9. Warhorse

Warhorse Squib

To dark lord squash:

It's alright to change your voice, that is if you dont sound like a complete retard, and I'm sorry, but only hard core fan boys who are little sheep and dont dare say anything bad about the biggest thing to ever happen to them won't see, or should I say, hear anything wrong with Bale's voice. But the rest of us that can look at this flick with unbiased opinion, can say, that his voice was horrible in this movie. I saw a lot of people in the theater were laughing everytime he spoke as Batman because he did sound ridiculous. And I was one of them. You can have a deep sounding voice without it having sound like your constipated.

I think Nolan should put a voice box on Bale as Batman and let Peter Cullen, who has one of the best voices in the business, do all of Batman's talking. Bale can resume when he goes back to Bruce Wayne. And it wont be much of a stretch, after all, I'm pretty sure 90% of the time when we saw Batman, it was a stunt double.

10. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

People like you shouldn't be allowed to be in theaters.

11. Durden's Wrath

Well first of all, if you're wanting a different voice for Batman, you should probably check with Kevin Conroy first. Since he's logged more time as Batman's voice than Adam West, Clooney, Kilmer, Bale, and Keaton COMBINED.

Second of all, while Peter Cullen has one of the best voices, it's more of a White Knight, "good guy" voice. Perfect for Optimus Prime, but shit for someone who skirts the edge of the law. It's kind of like using a Lawful Good alignment for someone who's really Neutral Good.

12. Ancalion

Ancalion First Year

Bale's batman voice just had too much growl...if he took that out and just made it deeper it would have been fine, I think.

13. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

There was a scene in BB where he reveals his identity to Rachel before taking off after the train. His voice in that scene was deeper than Bruce's, but had less growl than his usual Batman voice. If he could use that voice as his overall Batman voice it would be perfect.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

When I heard all the reviews, and in particular saw it was still topping IMDb with a 9.5 after 91K votes, I gave in and decided I had to catch this in the theater. Saw it last night.

And I'm spent.

Just about everything people have said is true. Ledger's joker is ridiculously good, and as twisted as it is to say, the fact that he's dead just adds an even further eerie feel to the character. Imagining how embracing the role consumed him and infected his psyche. It's July so Oscar talk is utterly ridiculous, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Yes, Batman's voice is a little too angry rasping every time he talks. But he's freaking Batman. He should have very little to say. Seeing him under bright lights, interrogating the Joker at the police station is just a strange visual to begin with. Batman's all about the shadows, and simply staring in silence until the criminals give things up. If anything, I think he had too many lines in the mask and that's why the voice had problems.

Truthfully though, this film is practically flawless. The ending had just enough smarts to make you think it through and realize how brilliant it really is. The pacing, the characters, the action. I cannot see any movie doing those bits better.

But the film isn't perfect. It may be the perfect Batman movie, and it may be flawless, but Batman's such a dark moody character. In comparison to say, Iron Man (the movie), the difference is that Iron Man is more fun. You're smiling more and laughing more. Dark Knight has you enraptured and engrossed, but the humor, the laughs, and the fun is where repeat watching comes in for me.

This movie really does succeed at everything it tries in a way few movies can even compare to. But technical execution, masterful moments, captivating scenes and sequences don't have to add up to your most favorite movie ever. Or the best movie ever. That's where personal taste comes in.

Best movie ever? Naw. Not in my book. But nearly flawless and amazing? Without a doubt.

15. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

The joker is a true nihilist.
    The Batman is a super-man.

That's the way I've always thought of it.

On Batman's Voice: It is a tradition that was started by Kevin Conroy (who is still the real batman to me). Switching between the bat-voice and Bruce's voice exemplifies Bruce Waynes mild case of MPD. As he gets older, he begins to think about Batman being his true identity, and Bruce Wayne being the alter-ego.

You may have noticed that when he grabbed Harvey Dent at his fund raiser, he talked to Rachel in the harsher, Bat-voice. I believe this was done on purpose to show that Bruce Wayne is Batman, whether he's in the suit or not.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  16. Torak

Torak Death Eater

God bless you Heath Ledger Best Damn acting I ever saw

17. Durden's Wrath

That's a small bit of hyperbole. I mean, he wasn't Keyser Soze.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

But The Joker isn't a mere nihilist, he represents something a bit better than that: he represents what happens if someone or thing close to Nietzsche's ubermensch is -- by our standards at least -- evil. No morality at all. But better than that, just as Batman inspires some people to be good, The Joker inspires many to be evil. Batman is supposed to stop him, but is clearly an inferior to The Joker when it comes to planning and execution of plans (even though Joker professes to never have them).

In other words, the best part about Jokers character is that the only thing standing between him and Gotham is the dumb luck of everyone in the city.

In a way, it makes him the perfect villain: he's evil. And as long as he's on top of his game, you can't stop him.

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dumb luck and a noble criminal. I swear if someone had pressed one of the buttons all hell would have been unleashed.

20. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

That was such an awesome scene.