1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by IAmJustAnotherGuy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wooh! I'm psychic!

The pilot was bad. Just bad. Most of it required people to have watched both Flash AND Arrow and while I habeve watched both, others may not have. It needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet, not be propped up by its predecessors.

There was very little action in this, especially for a pilot. When I saw the bar scene in the trailers, I loved it. But looking at it here just feels like a slap to the face. There seems to be some sort of friendly relationship between Snart and Sara except it came from nowhere.

Jefferson is goign to be unlikeable. I hoped he would have gotten better from when he was in Flash but it seems that hope was in vain. Still don;t see why Robbie Amell left.

Stein was your typical scientist. Ray as well. All the characters except Rip seem extremely one dimensional. A for Rip himself, I'm getting serious Doctor Who flashbacks and am not quite sure how I feel about him.

Overall, it was a stupid idea for this to be a two part pilot. Only Arrow nd Flash fans are goign to watch Part 2 and considering the amount of special effects in this series, they're going to need more peopel watching if they want to balance that cost.

I would give this a 2.5/5, rounded up to 3/5. I'm probably being generous since this is the closest I'm going to get to a DC Superhero team for a few years.

2. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Stein was pretty stupid in the pilot... he was confused on why he was dead in the future... when Rip said 150 years from now. Ha.

But I thought it was pretty solid at 4/5, that bar fight was awesome.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

The first episode wasn't great. It was saved only by Captain Cold, Heatwave and Sara. I loved their interactions. Ray wasn't as annoying as he was on Arrow, but both Hawks were terrible and Stein and Jefferson were pretty boring.

On the other hand, I really liked the second episode. Ray being a screw-up the whole episode was hilarious, as well as Sara and Jefferson's reaction to Stein's younger self. Those scenes were just so much fun.

Stein and Jefferson were much better, but the Hawks are easily the worst part of the show.

Cold and Heatwave are my favorites. They are just so over-the-top. I love it. You can tell the actors are having a blast.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    My take so far:

• I agree, Hawk characters are pretty horrible (actors).
    • I dislike time-travel.
    • Caity Lot (Sara) must have taken both acting lessons and martial art lessons, because she's a ton better since her resurrection.
    • Young professor flirting with Sara. Priceless.
    • I really dislike time-travel, especially when it can affect three different storylines of shows I'm following, rather than just one
    • Jax's character is pretty annoying. He doesn't seem to fulfill any role in the show except one half of Firestorm.
    • The show struggles with suspension of disbelief. The kind of tech they showed in last night's show simply did not exist in the 1970s Soviet Union. And, unless I missed it completely, that's where they were. Hell, they were still using vacuum tubes in fighterjets in the 70s (MiG 25, for instance).
    • Time Travel sucks.
    • They need to bring about cohesion in the group quickly, or I think the show's going to go off the rails real fast.
    • Whoever's choreographing their fight scenes has a good eye for portraying chaos. They seem random and more believable (within the setting of the show) than Arrow fight scenes.
    • And last, but not least, if it wasn't part of the Arrow/Flash universe, I'd give up on the show in an instant because of time-travel.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, the show has basically two settings so far, 1. dumb and fun and 2. just dumb.

When it's the former, it's enjoyable. Snarf, Heatwave and Sara are carrying this. All so hammy and cheesy, I love it. Snarf especially is just a joy to follow. He's evil and selfish and he loves every second of it. Stein has his occasional moments. The rest could and actually should be dumped. The painfully obvious Doctor Who knockoff needs to die, fast, the Hawks are terrible all around and the other half is of Firestorm is just, why. Why is he here?

Roy is meh, so far, not good but also not particularly offensive.

When it's the latter though, it really sucks. So many lame and cheesy and just outdated tropes and lines, there are just no real surprises. It doesn't help that I don't really know or care for most of these people. That said, I stopped following Arrow mid season 2.

Am I missing out? Does it have White Canary getting wasted, getting into barfights and picking up girls or was that just something for the trailer/pilot?

And as Joe's Nemesis said, time travel is notoriously difficult to pull off and this show certainly doesn't have the chops to pull it of on a scale as they are planning. Just a lot of stupid involved there.

Question to the DC experts: the Hawks and Roy Palmer are A-Listers, right? Think they were in the justice league cartoons but honestly don't know much about them.

6. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Hawkgirl was in the DCAU as a Founder, Hawkman was never portrayed as more than just a side character who was convinced Shayera had a thing with him so many millennia ago. The storyline they're pursuing here was a little dicier there because of the altered backstory for Shayera and the Shayera/Jon pairing. The Atom shows up a few times in JLU but otherwise I don't remember him playing a major part. Can't speak to their importance in the comics, though.

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Is no one going to congratulate them on a successful crossover with Thundercats?

8. Nemrut

High Score:
    For some stupid reason, my brain hardwires itself to read and perceive certain names wrongly. Have been reading and writing Filch as Flich for over seven years before I noticed.

And until yesterday, after this post, wrote and heard him as Snarf, apparently.

9. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Looks like the newest ep got leaked early.

10. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Not leaked, they aired it in Canada after the superbowl.

11. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

This show has gotten a lot better recently. Maybe its because Ray and Kendra are a lot better than the were earlier in the series. I'm really liking Ray, and Kendra is actually tolerable now.

I'm also liking Rip Hunter more than I expected to. Rory sure has come a long way.

I still love Cold, but he is sometimes too over the top. They should tone it down a notch.

I really like the latest twist with Heatwave. Purcell is a good actor so its cool that he finally has something to do.

Sara is my absolute favorite. Her acting is a lot better here than it ever was on Arrow.

I could do without Firestorm. Jax is just so bland he might as well not be there. Stein is ok, but when he is forced to be Mr. Exposition its intolerable.

The guy who plays Vandal Savage is a terrible actor so I hope they kill him off this season.

12. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Season 2 premieres tomorrow. Reverse Flash is supposed to be a regular this season so that should be fun.

I'm less excited about Merlyn and Darkhe.

13. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

I'm actually looking forward to more of Damien Darhk; he was pretty fun. Definitely the highlight of Arrow last year. Here's hoping that the Legion of Doom is all the hammy fun we'd expect from its cast.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed this more than I expected to. There was just something fun about the various settings that brought me back into the show again, and that ending... oh, that ending.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    Am somewhere like episode 5 on season 1. Is the show worth watching or should I try my luck with season 2?

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A lot of the Savage plotline is just dumb, though if I remember correctly that is sort-of answered in the last couple of episodes. The characters do get better at working together and make some progress.

17. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

"My name is Oliver Queen and my preference is to not break your arm." Lol. Slightly regained his badassness.

Sara Lance womanising through history. Haha.

"I'd rather die than speak German." "I love roasting nazis." Top priorities.

Einstein lol.

Darhk beating Sara was actually a good thing. Kinda means however bad the fights were with Oliver that he still beat him.

No mention of Oliver to the team?

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Tonight's was definitely one of the weakest episodes of the series.

I hate Amaya. Not only is she a Mary Sue that can defeat the whole team single-handedly, she also ends up being apologized to for being locked up after trying to kill one of them. She acts all high and mighty because "I'm a member of the JSA" (That line is gonna end up being as annoying as "I was a barista", I just know it). Her inviting herself along and constantly judging the team is annoying and just makes me hate her more.

We wasted a lot of time on Steel, who is a bit less useless than the previous episodes. At least him having powers is a valid reason to keep him on the team. Sure beats the other reason of "I'm a time detective". Who needs a time detective/historian when you have Gideon? His story was ok this episode mainly because the Japanese girl and her father were interesting, but he still had too much screentime.

In fact, the whole Shogun story with the Atom suit bored the heck out of me. I was more interested in whatever message Barry Allen had for Rip.

Mick, Sara, and Ray were as great as usual. I hope Mick sticks to his guns and doesn't suddenly start respecting Amaya (as she deserves none). I love ninjas too, Mick. Sara is just pure energy for this show. I thought they made her look weak in her first fight tonight (to have Amaya save the day to endear her to the audience), but her second fight was amazing. Ray was also good tonight. BR is very good at portraying anger. The show should explore that more.

All in all, a weak episode saved by the usual series MVP's. Can we ditch Amaya and Steel and bring back Rip and Snart? Please?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  19. Nemrut

High Score:
    Pretty much agree with all of this. Steel is a bore, the new girl is annoying and I wish Snart came back. I am really missing his cheesy drawl. Mick alone cannot quite chew the scenery as well without his friend.