1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

De-Age Voldemort During the First Wizarding War?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dirty Puzzle, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, this thought hit me the other day and I can't stop thinking about it.

During the First Wizarding War, when Voldemort was still an actual man with his real body, why didn't someone de-age him? And yes, in potion form it would probably be improbable to slip in his food or drink or something, but turn it into an aerosol or a gas and basically smoke the Death Eaters out of their hiding place. Getting the right intelligence would be hard, but not entirely impossible. And you could turn a large portion of Death Eaters into kids or babies at one time, and then kill them or imprison them or what-have-you.

And I know that Snape wasn't on the Light side by this point, but all I can imagine is him in the Malfoy Manner bathroom pretending to use Febreze and then Naruto running through the compound with a gas mask hitting all the DEs in the face with the aerosol potion.

This:[​IMG]

Turns into this:[​IMG]

This entire post makes me feel really stupid, but I can't be the only one who thinks that it could be a legitimate way to get rid of Voldy or at least a bunch of DEs at once.

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I imagine a Bezoar could just cure that. Besides, they probably don't actually know where Voldemort is and Apparition means there's no real guarantee he'll actually be there.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Your images are broke. You reference fanon concepts. And Naruto? Makes no sense and while chemical warfare would have been interesting, you just killed any interest I had on the subject.

4. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    Meh mistakes happen , he obviously meant Harry

But on the chemical warfare thing i think beozars/bubble-head charms would be easy counters , on the other hand we don't know how easily the latter can break

And i don't get why Op is thinking about a deaging potion instead of poison/venom or even the sleeping draught

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Weaponized aerosol potions is a fun concept, but if some sort of non-lethal offensive magic exists, you should expect Voldemort to easily be able to counter it. Why? Because although JKR only ever really showed him casting Unforgivables in battle, he's Voldemort and he knows a fuckton of magic.

6. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

You either have to assume everyone in the magical world is a fucking idiot - including noted geniuses like Dumbledore - or you have to accept that most "simple" solutions to the Dark Lord problem wouldn't work because they've presumably thought about it. What do you think seems more likely?

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How exactly does turning Voldemort into a baby make him less dangerous? I would presume a deaging potion just changes you physically. So now you have a smaller target to hit while retaining all of his magic and knowledge.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Now I'm for sure going to have a horrific nightmare about murderous psychopath wizard babies.

Thanks for that.

9. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

The answer is the same as to why didn't Gandalf ask the eagles to fly Frodo to Mount Doom: the story is not about how to defeat Voldemort in the most efficient way, but about how the characters interact with each other. Voldemort is just a plot device to force the characters in different situations.

The canon "magic system" of HP is broken beyond repair; it's best to use it simply as a background, and not to think too much about it. If the story is better off with aerosol-potions, go for it, if not, then it's better to just assume they don't exist in the first place and not even mention the possibility. And definitely don't try to paint the canon characters stupid just because it took them a thousand years to come up with something as obvious as clothing enchanted with the shield charm.

10. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Instead of during the second war, why not have it be a result of the backlash on Halloween?
    Maybe go the route of reincarnation, instead of reducing him to a wraith his horcruxes are more like an offsite backup. His body dies, the main part of his soul is wiped clean as it's reborn to a new body... only the horcruxes are still part of it and preserve his memories and personality. Time goes on, Quirrel isn't possesed, doesn't make a play for the stone, but does get fired after being caught in a compromising position with a seventh year student dressed as Vampirella. The plot continues on more or less unchanged until Pettigrew sets out to find Voldemort only to be in for a disappointing surprise when he finds the teenaged Dark Lord in some kind of muggle youths gathering place, filled with bizarre lights and sounds, at which point Voldeteen explains to him that, really, he only got into the whole "world conquest" thing because if you don't like one nonsensical sport, the magical world is boring. And really, he's had much more fun as a Pinball Wizard than he ever did as a Dark one and could he please go away because, really, hanging out with creepy middle-aged rat men just isn't cool.

11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    This is good. In a funny sense.

It gives me an idea, based in and around the backlash. Canon-compliant right up until Harry gets his scar, then the disembodied Voldemort attaches to a nearby infant, or whatever. Harry's twin, neighbour's baby. Doesn't matter and you could make it work within the text. Attaches in a way that Voldemort's remnant soul takes over the new vessel.

Then we have two 11 year old's hitting Hogwarts. One is the Boy Who Lived, one is Tom Riddle, Voldemort, plagued by visions/memories he doesn't understand, muddled by further remnants of the soul he overwhelmed. It's entirely a new game from Year 1, but with a Harry that is unchanged until the Quirrel encounter at the Leaky Cauldron, and from then on... well, fuckin' anything.

Edit: Ah, fuck, the remnant soul ends up in a girl. Suddenly we're off the reservation. It could work. I know it sounds sordidly bullshit, but I could make it work.

Edit 2: Also, grootslang.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Ideally it's both, yes. And at least as far as I am concerned, you start with what you want, and then invent reasons that make it plausible. We have a rather nice Canon example of that, which is Dumbledore drinking the potion in the cave, where it's made clear Voldemort took care that the only way to get at the locket is to drink the potion.

But I believe it's fair to extrapolate from that, by and large. So if no one is using the magical equivalent of poison gas, there's an in-universe reason for that which is not "everyone is stupid". And I wouldn't call such a system broken either. There's a certain amount of information you can convey before a story becomes unreadable; giving the reason for everything since Celtic druids invented the wand is just infeasible.

So there's two traps for FF writers here: The first is the Methods of Rationality problem, but just as bad is writing a story in order to defend Canon. It doesn't need it, IMO. Obvious problems such as Rowling's maths deficits aside, I think it's consistent enough.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Don't tease us :(