1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent/good Mass Effect fan fiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sechrima, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I just finished an epic marathon playthrough of all three games, with a great deal of DLC included, and now I'm really eager to read some stories set in this fandom.

I played a male/Soldier/Earthborn/Sole Survivor/Paragon Commander Shepard and aimed to have the maximum war score in ME3 from the beginning of the first game (and ultimately succeeded in that). Romanced Ashley in ME, no one in ME2, and Liara in ME3. If, by some miracle, someone knows of a good story featuring a Shepard with the above properties, that would be awesome. I won't hold my breath, though.

Basically, any readable story in this fandom - other than the ones already recced here at DLP - would be very welcome. Crossovers are acceptable, too.

I wouldn't have bothered asking, but my efforts to find decent stories on FF.net haven't been well rewarded so far, and it's a real hassle to search through all the junk when maybe someone here already knows of a good story.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I don't know which ones have been recced here before and I can't be fucked to look it up, but here's my list of good ME fics:

Iron Rebirth
    Killed in action, Shepard is deemed lost to all save those who run Project Lazarus. But when betrayal strikes well before the Project is near completion, only one option is left to save him. An experimental brain to machine transplant. The Iron Rebirth.

Basically, Cerberus doesn't get Shepard's body up and running in time for the opening of ME2 so he ends up a brain in a jar controlling an YMIR mech. This is probably my favorite of the lot, 4.5-5/5

Clash of Civilizations
    In 2157 a Citadel Council exploratory vessel is tasked with opening a dormant Relay into unknown regions of the galaxy. What they find is something they never expected. What happens when two civilizations centered around different technologies clash?

Halo/ME cross, so far it's been mostly worldbuilding with the real meat of the plot starting in the next couple of chapters or so most likely. 3.5/5

The Darkest Night
    Commander Shepard has been killed in a surprise attack on the Normandy. While Cerberus rebuilds him, the members of his crew attempt to move on. A bridge piece between ME1 and ME2 following the SR1 crew. Rated M for language/violence/adult content

This one is focused on Shepard's crew between ME1 and ME2, and it's sequel, For We Are Many is Shepard-centric through ME2. I thoroughly enjoy it, 4/5

Cyclical
    To the Alliance, he is the Ghost of Elysium. To the slavers of the Terminus Systems, he is the Golden Scourge. To himself, John Shepard is human, a Systems Alliance Marine, and now, so much more.

Exalted/ME cross, with Shepard as a Solar. It's a fairly serious approach to the concept and works well IMO. There's a couple more chapters for it posted on SpaceBattles if you want to go look for it. 4/5

Glorious Shotgun Princess
    The Exaltation of the Unconquered Sun is a tricky thing. Especially when it doesn't come with an manual. Jane Shepard, who was able to talk Spectres into suicide before getting a spiritual superweapon grafted to her soul, has a new advantage.

Another Exalted/ME cross. This one is rather over the top, with a great deal of humor and silliness (for example, Shepard names Legion "Wuffles"). It's entertaining and written decently well, but it just doesn't engage me as well as most of the rest of these. 3/5

The Warp is Calm
    On Mindoir, John Shepard saw death for the first time. In the Calixis Sector, Zechariah Khan found that those in power value their own power over the Truth. With one lauded a hero, the other driven into exile a galaxy away, both will attempt to find a cure to the ills that plague all civilizations. And fight a race of genocidal machines and their pawns in the process.

40k/ME cross. Short version is that a radical Inquisitor goes through a warp gate to a "new" galaxy, which ends up being the ME Milky Way. Hijinks ensue. It's a bunch of world- and character-building in the available chapters, but the plot is soon to kick off. 4.5/5

Drift
    He's on a suicide mission, and Shepard needs all the help he can get. One of his potential recruits is a strange young scientist specializing in synthetic lifeforms - a scientist who is not at all what she seems, and knows far more than she lets on...

ME/Terminator TV series; a new member of Shep's crew is Cameron, a Terminator that John Connor instilled a conscience in. Fairly good, but I get the feeling it's not likely to be updated. 4.5/5

Harbinger
    A rampage by an insane psychic on an Alliance colony draws the attention of Commander Shepard, Citadel Spectre and former FEAR point man. Events are set in motion that may mean the death of a galaxy, or salvation from the Reapers. ME/FEAR fusion.

Shepard is Pointman, Alma operates at a level that makes the Reapers shit bricks. Really all that needs to be said as background for it. 4/5

Renegade
    The year: 2183. An attack on the Global Defense Initiative colony of Eden Prime threatens to ignite war between GDI and the Citadel, and only one woman can keep the peace, track down the attackers, and expose the true threat to the galaxy. Alt.Universe

Command & Conquer/ME cross. I haven't read this one yet myself, just found it in the author's profile while looking up the rest of these, but I've heard good things about it in the past.

Edit: I've got a couple more that I can think of, but I'm drawing a blank on names for them. If I remember, I'll throw em up here.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Lemme throw in my hat with some recommendations. Afraid I don't read too much Mass Effect material, and most of my interest in it comes from crossovers. Specifically Halo crossovers.

In the Shadow of Gods
    They stand apart from humans as heroes, saviors, and gods among men. But when we stand in the shadows of gods, we fail to see the cost to them. Sometimes the only one that can understand the weight of the universe is someone else who bears it.

Chief and Cortana wind up in the ME universe. Curb-stomp ensues.

Then:

Make It Count
    He had given himself up for a greater cause, and come to the end fully in acceptance of his fate. But Fate had a different plan for this man. And so it is true: Spartans never die, they just go Missing In Action.

And:

Make It Count 2

A threat 50,000 years in the making lurks in the shadows. A fallen man seeks redemption. Humans are disappearing from their colonies. A resurrection will take place. And in the middle of it all...is a Spartan.

Both of these feature Jorge-052, the Spartan from Halo: Reach. Long, well written and over-all pretty damn enjoyable. Jorge and Zaeed together make for a pretty explosive time.

And finally:

Intertextus
    Shepard had seen that the Reapers were coming, then the Heretics and the mercenary armies now sent to stop her. But she never could have predicted the other-world power and opportunity she'd be given... by Cortana and the Master Chief.

My favorite, simply because it puts a different spin on the crossover. The method of crossing over is a bit of an ass-pull, I'll admit, but all the characters feel so much more human. That, and quite a bit more badass.

5. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

6. Provis

Provis Second Year

I think that these fall more comfortably under decent than good, but I'll throw in my two cents:

Hellhound

End of the Beginning

Don't know how much the pairings matter to you, but the first is with Miranda and the second is with Liara.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  7. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Mass Effect: Human Revolution
    Adam Jensen finds himself in a time only dreamed of in vids, humanity is now part of a great galactic community that fears synthetics, and he struggles to find his place within it.

Crossover fic with a decent writing, that manages to make the beginning of Mass Effect once more interesting. The first two prologue chapters are bland, but it changes quickly in next chapters.
    Shepard dies in the first chapter.

8. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I read this, and it's really quite good so far. The murder-mystery plot mixed up with Garrus and Jensen's detective work to expose Saren is a great way to fit Jensen's character into the Mass Effect universe. Deus Ex and Mass Effect combine fairly well together in the author's AU history established in the prologue.

Having only played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I assume some of the stuff that's been integrated into the Mass Effect world must come from other Deus Ex games, but whatever - the author explains everything well enough and it all fits together nicely.

As for all the Halo crossovers that have been recommended in here, is a good knowledge of the Halo universe and its storyline necessary to enjoy these fics? I played Halo years ago when it came out on the original Xbox. I have also played Halo 3 a few times, but never from start to finish. So basically, I have a very broad understanding of things like Spartans, Master Chief, the Covenant, Cortana, the Flood, etc. but nothing deeply story-specific. Are these fics still worth my time?

9. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I'll throw out what I've read and enjoyed.

The Cassandra's Dilemma: Book One

What if you knew something so terrible, that life itself hinged on you getting your message out? What if the only people who believed you were a handful of misfits and societal cast-offs? Welcome to the world of Uriah Shepard.

--

I found this story to be quite fun to read with great characters and a unique plot that I've not seen in the ME-verse which is mostly filled with "ME2/ME3 Novelizations"

Black Talons

Eight ships slowly surrounded the Normandy, tightening a noose around the frigate. A rough voice filled the cockpit. "Cerberus vessel, surrender your ship controls immediately. Commander Shepard, you are under arrest." Post ME2. Read, Review, and Enjoy.

--

I found this story to be a decent read. It has some issues in the beginning but it gets much better as the story goes on.

Mass Effect 3: Into the Unknown

With the defences around Arcturus breached and the homeworlds of the strongest races under siege, what hope remains? One man faces the oncoming storm. The Reapers will know defeat. They will know fear. They will know Commander Shepard.

--

It's huge. It's one of the largest fanfics in the ME universe and it is actually pretty entertaining to read. I enjoyed it.

10. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Dude predicted several key scenes from the third game in january. This is how I wanted the third game to pan out. Hands down the best ME story to date.

Even beating...

Those two combined with Darje's piece make up for the top three ME fics.

Also, the original that Iron Rebirth was based on is a pretty fun story:

It's more upbeat in humor that Iron Rebirth, though the latter is better.

11. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

other than the ones already recced here at DLP?

I'm writing "Hiring the Right Ones" in WbA, that probably doesn't count in your definition ;D

On other front, well, what wasn't mentioned:

It's turian/human romance, with a good amount of desperation, earth-born Shepard's past coming to haunt her, and all in all, all good things end really fast and badly.
    There's an alternate ending posted, but it's meh.
    ~3.5/5, with a few places that were emotional and scarring for the characters enough to feel like 5/5

The best warhammer and ME crossover to date. There's hamerfall, I think, but that one kills shepard in minutes. Here, the fic is kind of light hearted, and fun to read, as well, as remaining serious when needed.
    The changes brought seem to be growing steadily.
    ~4/5

There's no romance. At all.
    It's a really good take on what Synthesis has brought everyone, but without the extended cut influence - it's brutal, cruel and heartwarming. In a gist, Liara's gift at the end was a child, Garrus survived and hopes that Shepard will return, and it all comes back to make him responsible for people and return him to life.
    I've read it too soon to rate it less than 5/5, but that's because it's very fresh in the mind.

12. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

For all the Halo crossovers, a passing knowledge of most of the games would make your life easier. All the mentioned crossover stories contain a few Halo characters pulled into the ME universe, so you'd need to know a very brief history of only a hand-full of figures. But if all else fails, a quick dive through the Halo wiki would smooth out any bumps you hit.

13. The Black

The Black First Year

I read all of them with the briefest knowledge of Halo and, in fact, only needed to read the wiki description of the series to catch on. I can't seem to remember which fic, but there is one that describe pretty much all you need to know along the history.

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Only two in my favorites list:

Friends Like These:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7089866/1/Friends_Like_These

Summary: Shepard disappears for an hour a week while on Citadel. Tali, Garrus, Joker & Doctor Chakwas try to find out what he's up to.

Renegade Interpretations:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7170477/1/

Summary: A species without Paragons is one with a sad and terrible history. Humanity enters a very different First Contact War, and Mass Effect as you know it will change. More of an in-depth piece examining a darker Mass Effect verse, but still very interesting.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Finally remembered one of the other fics I was thinking of before:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5639538/1/Accidental_Hero_of_the_Galaxy
    Commander Shepard. Hero of the Skyllian Blitz. First human Spectre. Potential savior of humanity and the known galaxy. Pity no one asked him what HE thought of all this.

It's basically Mass Effect when put through the filter of Ciaphas Cain. It's a fun read, but definitely YMMV. I'd give it a 3.5-4/5, but some people don't like the style.