1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Delenda Est by Lord Silvere - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by craigery9700, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I think a shield spell should have no problem stopping a bullet. Physics has no place in magic. The idea that a trigger is pulled and the bullet finds its target before the wizard can do anything is logical and dangerous in its own right. The authors should have just left it at that.

Either way, I like the story. Flaws aside, I think its one of the few good new stories coming out, and it's at least trying to be original. I do think the physics needs to go, but I also think that flaw aside, its a story worthy of the library.

4/5

2. Atyan

Atyan Squib

/delurk

What it comes down to, it what you believe the magic in HP-verse to be.

I for example have no problem with a "magical power to one shot the universe", besides the fact that it would make for a poor story, because it's magic.

I also don't have a problem with a muggle shooting the average wizard, because a bullet is likely faster than whipping out your wand and saying "protego".

What I do have a problem with, and where my suspension of disbelief is broken, is when you say that a shield can't hold up to the physical momentum of a bullet on a certain part of the surface of the shield.
    You can measure the force of the bullet, and you can measure the surface.

If you believe that the HP-verse magic works this way, it follows that you think that, for example Harry Potter's "protego" shield can take an energy of (random number) 578,6 joules per cm² before it breaks.

I don't want to read about a magic system like that, because it makes magic just another form of energy to be measured and quantified, which would really take the magic out of it.

/lurk

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

^ What he said. It's not so much suspension of disbelief and more that I simply don't want to read about it. It's the same with Technomagic, and in more general context, reading about Muggles in general.

About the new chapter ... meh. I felt the mechanics were inferior again, compared to the chapter before. What was especially jarring was that the POV was like constantly broken. I sometimes point that out, and it's more a technical advise then, but here it actually dragged the story down.

Instances like this. It's kinda like reading a hiccup, it destroys the flow completely. Quite annoying. And it even got to the point that the authors had Harry addressing himself with Harry once, because the POV wasn't clear.

So yeah, while I agree that it's not too bad on the plot side of things, apart from the chapter at the Blacks, the writing simply isn't up to the task. This is one example where a good Beta could make the story infinitely better.

4. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I don't care whether he over powered technology against magic. this story is ten times better than his first Harry/Bellatrix story, Earl of the North.

Having Harry travel to the 70's solve the issues I had with Harry and a 45 -50 year old(?) Bellatrix.

I'll be sure to add this to my favorites.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. Anme

Anme Professor

This got updated. Nice enough.

6. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually do like this nutty story. The 70's styles and wacky music choices are just icing on the cake to creepy backdoor politics and intrigue. Actually paints the characters with some nice 3-dimensional brushes.

7. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

I enjoyed this guy's story Earl of the North, but I have to say that Bella/Harry sometimes freaks me out when she is about forty and he is seventeen. I think that this is a great improvement on the Bella/Harry pairing. It also seems the kind of thing that could happen in the Harry Potter world, I like the explanation for the time travel but it would be interesting to know more about the broach.
    4.5/5 so far

8. Has been updated....but don't have the time ro read it right now.

9. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

Just read the latest chapter. While the quality was decent, in the last two to three chapters there hasn't been much plot movement. It's mostly just been about Harry trying to adapt to being the potions professor without completely fucking up and general discussions with Romulus and Orion.

Still it's good to see an update.

10. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

These last couple of chapters were very static - not a whole lot of forward momentum. They seem to be rehashing the same events over and over again.

Disappointing, because this fic has so much potential. I hope the author isn't running out of inspiration; I'd hate to see this thing abandoned.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I'm not bothered very much by it. It's an appropriate time in the story for Harry to interact with the younger-older generation, while he's just beginning his search for information.

There needs to be more depth of characterization from James, Sirius, basically everyone. I'll raise my rating to a 4/5.

The Bellatrix in this story is pretty likable.

Though if Snape ends up snagging Lily it's dropping right back what it was before.

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Wouldn't Snape snagging Lily kill Harry? On account he wouldn't be born.

13. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

No. Author talked about it in the last chapter - maybe the one before that. Harry's future doesn't exist anymore.

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Ah, yeah I just read it now. Seems like this is some minor alternative dimension. Though everything is more or less the same. Still good.

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

More like acausal time travel but who cares about those details ;)

16. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

17. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

So, it's been updated.

Bellatrix beats Harry in a duel... Am I the only person who sees a problem with that? Before he got sent back she was an exceptionally talented dueler but here she is just a talented school girl. That really really annoys me.

18. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

She didn't beat him. Harry's crappy wand exploded on its own. Actually, I have written something very similar. Although I do hope that my scene was a bit more plausible than Silvere's...

19. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

My enjoyment of this fic has sharply dropped after this latest chapter. I'll follow along here at DLP, but I'm taking Delenda Est off my alerts list.

20. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Woops, was doing a bit of a speed read on it as I was getting ready to head out of town for a bit.