1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Destiny Redefined by thejealousone - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Agnostics Puppet, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Title: Destiny Redefined
    Author: thejealousone
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Mystery
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Chapters: 35
    Words: 96,449
    Updated: May 23, 2008
    Published: Dec 4, 2007

Summary: Voldemort was dead, all was well, but the real enemy had yet to reveal himself. Time-Travel Story.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3928184/1/Destiny_Redefined

You guys will probably cry 'blasphemy!' because of this, but I found it to be a surprisingly decent read. Its a 'Harry goes back in time to fix things, but fucks up royally' kind of fic. The characterizations were spot on and the cliches were kept to a minimum.

Id give it a 4/5,

Checked March 19, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

It was boring after a while. I couldn't read it.

3. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Why in the hell would I want to read about Harry fucking up royally?

If I wanted to read that, I'd just re-read the original books.

4. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

*facepalm* Since I obviously suck at writing summaries, why dont you check it out yourself before sniping at me?

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'll still read it, but I think I'm a bit skeptical about it at the moment.

6. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

It's very well written, and appears to be very well thought out, too. I just don't know if I'm up for reading this one. Through Chapter 4, the quality is very high. You get a mini-mystery, a dramatic (sort of) confrontation, and a little interaction between Harry and Teddy Lupin (that I really liked).

I did stop reading (for now, at least) after Chapter 7, however. I just don't know if I like where the story seems to be going. I could be totally wrong, but the whole thing seems to be based on paradox and never being able to totally correct the broken time-line.
    I'll rate it once I come back to it later.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  7. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

It's well written indeed and damn well thought out. This story is the ultimate time paradox... which despite the summary does end well.

At first I was sceptical. The H/G part kept me wary, however the ship is, one can say, a fuel to the plot and only that.

Our Harry feels guilty for all the sorrows his friends suffer, wishing that more people survived the war etc... He is given a potion by William Emmett Cronus - or someone using this name - who is well known for creating time-turners and supposedly a potion that allows to travel through time on a much larger scale... from this point let us assume that some major screw-ups will follow with a few twists of action, some obvious facts (they were at least when they were revealed) leaving us with an interesting and, in my opinion, very original.

I give it a solid 4, borderline on 5
    4.5/5

Definitely worth reading

8. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Now this is what a time travel story should look like! Easily the best HP Time-Travel story I've read and unlike all the other "Harry goes back in the past to fix everything!" Definite 5/5 for me.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    About to read it, haven't yet. But did you get this of the SIAUL yahoo group? I just saw it posted there today. From a few days ago. Didn't have internet the last few days.

10. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Alright, so I finished this, and it was definitely worthy of the time. It's one of the most grammatically sound fics I've seen (outside of the usual DLP authors) in a long, long while, and the plot is equally well done.

The pairing doesn't take anything away from the story, the way it's used. Definitely give this a shot, guys. 5/5

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Very good story. One of the best time travel fics I've ever read, if a bit confusing in some parts and despite the fact that it doesn't apologize for being HP/GW.

Time travel and all the various paradoxes and whatnot are fucking hard to understand.

This fic is pretty much Back To The Future HP style. On crack.

4.5/5

12. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Couldn't get into it from the first chapter, just not my cup of tea. Seemed a bit too, I don't know, emotional? Does that change later on? I looked at the chapter names and it sounded like it didn't so I dropped the fic.

I won't rate as the writing is undoubtedly sound, and my reasons for dislike are too subjective.

13. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

This gets a perfect score from me. I haven't finished it, and I did predict the biggest revelation so far, but the writing is superb, and it is a very good canon-compliant story.

Though emotion is the driving influence in the story, the latter chapters aren't overly emotional... or maybe they are and I'm just subconciously ignoring it.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Great story in all aspects, well written, well thought out, and quite entertaining. It's nice to see a older more experienced Harry who still is just human and is quite capable of screwing up, unlike the majority of the others in time travel fics. 4.5/5

15. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Certainly an interesting story. Finally an author who actually pays attention to the possible dangers of time travel; butterfly effects, paradoxes and other mishaps that can occur are finally examined in the HPverse.

5/5

16. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So.

Reading the first three chapters I wondered why anyone in here would praise the story. But eventually it is quite original and way better written than most fics. It deals with the consequences of TimeTravel in a way I have rarely seen in fanfics (either snufkin or IP82 did something like that, shorter and darker but less well written).

For people really loathing Ginny I wouldn't recommend this fic. And as annoying as the main pairings is emo!Harry, though that's driving him to try it again and again.

For readers interested in something new regardless of the pairings I suggest to give it a try. Skim through the worst parts (especially the first chapters) and look out for the rest.

4/5 for originality.

EDIT:

It is not the usual "Harry travelling back into his young body" fic, fapping over baby!Ginny. Harry travels keeping his own body, thus mistaken for being James. He changes a few things, and then resulting events of the changed timeline are retold through diaries, pensive memories, etc. So it speeds up a lot, compared with other timetravel plotlines.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  17. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm 20 chapters in and I've got to say, the story is very boring. There is myster about sure, but it's fairly predictable mystery. The Harry is pretty sucky and the ginny thing is a definite turn off. The explanations of Time Travel problems are overly simplistic, which is to be expected. The grammar is fine. I'm not a large fan of this story

3/5

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I got half way through the fic, and then just dropped it out of boredom. Disappointing really. I had saved this one for a bit thinking that it would be good, but eh.

Even though its original, to a degree, I just lost interest so fast. I am usually all for originality... but here its just bland. 2/5.

Sad really, since I usually love time travel fics.

First fic i've seen thats likely to get into the library, a place where I really don't think it deserves to be. But hey, maybe it gets really really good, and ends well. Oh well.

19. Maro

Maro Third Year

Yeah, I've read through up to chapter 18 and its...boring. I might finish it if I lack other things to do but not a lot really happens and the stuff that does happen isn't really written that well imo.

I found pretty much everything in this shallow and one-dimensional, from the relationships, the temporal mechanics and the politics.

Meh. 3/5. Will change it up or down when/if I finish it...

20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

This story kept me in two minds.

On the one hand it does have originality and is well written.

On the other hand it is written in a way that everything from the characters, the scenery, the pace is just flat.

It was like reading about a gray man, in a gray suit, walking stooped in a gray world, speaking in gray words.

I would entitle this story: "Tragedy in Monotone"

Depending on who was asking I'd recommend it or wouldn't. Good idea but average storytelling.