1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Detention in Defense by Perspicacity - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Photon, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Photon

Photon Order Member

Title: Detention in Defense
    Author: Perspicacity
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Friendship/Humor
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: none
    Summary: "Post-PS AU: At the start of Harry’s second year, Dobby fails to close the portal to platform nine and three quarters fast enough. Harry boards and becomes fast friends with Ginny; this has profound implications for them and the Magical World writ large."
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4289379/1/

Later expanded into full story ( http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6473434/1/Unspeakable_Things ) by Darth Marrs.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'd encourage you to review the rules and guidelines for posting for review. In particular, one should include some description as to why this story is deserving of the lofty honor of inclusion in the Library.

In this case, I'd say that I don't think the story is. The one-shot is neither sufficiently elegant nor satisfying to qualify on its own merits (compare with the likes of Cauterize) and it's not thematically matched to DLP community interests. Darth Marrs's continuation of the story would be at best an Almost Recommended guilty pleasure.

Together, I'd rate 3/5 and expect for this to end up in the Recycling Bin.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Photon

Photon Order Member

In case of oneshots it is usually hard to write something that would not spoil a story and be something else than "the story is a good one" (redundant with submitting story for review) - and IMHO original description is sufficient.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Then mention any standout characterisations, plot points, or writing mechanics. If no elements of the story are good enough that they're worth noting, then it's probably not good enough for the Library.

When the whole point of For Review is to attract people to read and rate it, then not saying anything does the fic a disservice.