1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Devil You Know : Surarrin - M - (DxD x Dresden)

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by Chime, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

URL: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10080850/1/Devil-You-Know
    Genre: Romance/Drama - Sort of? This is how the story is at the moment.
    Pairing: All over the place, none so far really.
    Fandom: Dresden, Highschool DxD

Do I have to say anymore? I guess I do. I tried to see if this was already recommended somewhere, but I must be blind or someone's neglected to make note of it, but this is Surarrin's most complete story yet. I'm almost afraid it'll be abandoned but maybe he'll hold out longer than usual.

Okay, I'll start with the flaws: I don't like DxD even though there are some elements that are enjoyable. The plot is kind of slow moving - almost 200k words and so far not much has progressed in the last 7 or so chapter. From my understanding, we've barely begun DxD's first main arc. Dresden doesn't really mesh well with Japanese Highschool Setting but his sense of humor manages to keep it together.

I'm not much of a Dresden expert, so I can't say if Harry is characterized extensively well here, but I like his characterization. This story has got that down pretty good. The story is a little too... girl-centric to my liking, but we can blame DxD on that I guess --- anyway, the characterization is pretty good, the action is well-described, and the situation is just interesting enough that it works. This is one to watch.

Maybe a bit early to add to the library, but I feel like it's long enough to bring up for a vote now.

Changed status, Abandedon. --Zombie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Does it go in the library when it's in the WbA?

It totally deserves it if it does.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Unlike my other stories this one is going to have an end, even if it won't be the end of me writing it. I was originally going to 'finish' it at the end of the current arc and skip ahead to Dresden Files stuff, but I'm probably going to put another 100k words into it for the Excalibur arc and then call it at that point.

So... it will have an end.

Saints be praised, or devils, whatever. :awesome

4. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Holy shit. I always read this on DLP, so I assumed it was already in the library.

Review time-

All the DxD characterizations are spot on. They're in line with canon, but unique in their own way. I love the way Akeno handles a different male than Issei, and it's perfectly in line with Canon. Rias is Rias but... well with a more intelligent person to banter with her character is more interesting/likable imo.

I'd go further into it, but spoilers.

Jon handles the merger really well, not stepping on any toes via magic/politics, and his in universe explanations are acceptable.

5/5

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know next to nothing about DxD but I was really digging the writing for Harry's voice all the way through the confrontation with He-Who-Walks-Behind. I gradually left it off when he met the devil-thingy post-fight(so pretty much all of Chapter 1) and haven't gone back to pick up again yet. So for now a tentative 5/5 for solid characterization, writing and plot(I don't care if its rehashing canon, it was fantastic).

6. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    It isn't rehashing canon at all. In fact I'd say it's pretty much completely different with the exception of the sequence of events.

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There are two types of derail. Those that happen instantly and those that happen gradually.

This story is an example of the later.

And I love it.

8. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The WbA is there to help the authors, even if their story is shitty.

The Libary is a place where the Ponyville-approved stories go.

In any case: 4.5/5 from me. It's entertaining, the characterization is correct for all characters known to me and it even made me try the novels (I could not stand the protagonist though). Unfortunately, for me it lacks the spark that would make it epic.

9. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

This is a shining example of the gradual derail, I would go so far as to say that I enjoy this more than the source, at least in regards to DxD, and has managed to add depth to characters that does not seem superfluous, ties in well, and, at least in my not exactly unbiased opinion, make certain... alterations to a protagonist that shall go unnamed, that turn them from an otherwise annoying individual, into a person that I would be interested in knowing. If only to witness the eventual breakdown.

TL;DR: I dislike most of the DxD cast, this story managed to make me feel interested in what happens to the characters.

4.5/5
    5/5 once the sequel/s are finished *winkwink*

10. Great Grey Shrike

Great Grey Shrike Squib

I've solidly enjoyed every chapter, there's been a very good use of canon characters and elements from both sides of the crossover for a plot that's been derailing increasingly far from either. The DxD characters in particular feel more interesting in this fic than they were in their actual canon. The writing quality is very good overall, and I don't have any real nits to pick for it.

5/5

11. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

I have really enjoyed reading this despite not having any previous experience with DxD. Great story and one that I feel I can recommend, even to those who might not be all that familiar with DxD. 5/5

12. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

5/5.

This story is half the reason I even care at all about Dresden, and any story that manages to make DxD work without a handwaved harem for the protagonist is good in my book.

13. Pantricelog

Pantricelog First Year

Great story. Great writer. Great characterizations. Just Great.

14. hmmbot

hmmbot First Year

I also really enjoy this story. Rarely have I seen two universes melded as competently as is done here. Usually the combination seems jarring and forced. This story combines elements in the DxD universe with the Dresdenverse in a way that adds to both instead of subtracting. Dresden is Dresden and any character differences are a consequence of experience instead of because of convenience and forced plot integration.

tldr; I like it a lot. 5/5

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  15. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I have plowed through the DxD light novels long ago and I have to say that this is currently better "told" than the original material. Maybe it's because of a translation problem in Baka-Tsuki but it's just very confusing and tiresome to read it or maybe that's just how it's supposed to be read "Japanese-wise".

Anyhow, I love how the story fused the Dxdverse and DFverse. The divide between USA = DFverse and Japan = DxDverse is confusing at first and doesn't really look like a fusion of both novels however, unless you know or have an in-depth background plot of both novels, its really just that.

But that's not the case with this fusion. It masterfully explores and expands on both universes without mish-mashing it into a random slob of plot. Admittedly, it's more focused on the DxD part of the story but it makes sense since Harry was put there first. It has a clear distinction that will pave the way to a believable fusion of both universes as the story-line progresses. I am very excited where Jon will lead us and how he will distinguish and fuse the transparent lore and myth differences between the two.

Definitely Library material and 5/5.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  16. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This is the story that initially got me into DxD and, yeah, so far it's significantly better. The few elements of fusion so far have been done well, and canon has been treated with enough divergences to keep things interesting. 5/5.

17. Duquette

Duquette Squib

This is a wonderful, and engrossing work of fiction It gets my highest recommendation.

18. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was referring to comments in the original thread, that we had seen more-or-less Harry's breakaway from Justin and that it didn't need to be shown again. I disagreed with that stance on the subject back then and I still do. Jon's description of that time and everything through to He-Who-Walks-Behind being defeated were fantastically crafted.

Still haven't read the next chapter, I'll get to that before I post in here again.