1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Disenchantment - Matt Groening

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Otters, May 25, 2018.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP, I am excite.

http://collider.com/disenchantment-release-date-netflix-matt-groening/

Coming this August to a Netflix near you, we have what appears to be Futurama in a fantasy setting.

"In Disenchantment, viewers will be whisked away to the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, where they will follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean, her feisty elf companion Elfo, and her personal demon Luci. Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools."

[​IMG]

2. h2o

h2o Professor

As a huge Futurama fan, I really hope this can live up to the same quality!

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Looks pretty cool, I'll watch it.

4. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

I'm keeping an eye on this. The main character--alcoholic princess badass immediately has me cautious about the "i'm-not-like-other-girls" trope. It can be done well (e.g. Arya Stark), but I've read/seen so much garbage in that vein that my bar for even not disliking that sort of character is very high. The setting, and princess bean's companions Elfo and especially Luci are more interesting to me at the moment. I wonder if Groening has an idea for the ideal number of seasons. 3... 8... 25?

5. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Discount Star vs The Forces of Evil?

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You. I like you.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

SvsFoE was my first thought as well, but I have hopes. If it's even half as good as it then it'll be worth keeping an eye on and a weekly watch.

8. Otters

High Score:

9. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Not long now then. Definitely a much more futurama feel, which is good for me as I preferred it to Simpsons. Even the same narrator.

She looks weird compared to the poster above in this trailer.

10. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Official trailer:

11. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I'm getting cheesy coming-of-age vibes from this and I don't like that Bean looks like Danaerys.

I remember Futurama being funnier, but I'll give this a shot. Glad it's a Netflix release.

The visuals are so pretty. <3

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Watched the first two episodes and I have to say, am rather disappointed. Got a few chuckles here and there but it is no Futurama or early Simpsons. Jokes aren't that funny, the Elf is rather annoying and dunno, feels rather meh overall.

13. Otters

High Score:
    You're breaking my heart here.

14. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So I just watched the first one. I like that Matt Berry is the prince, and it's got the right type of stupid humour. But, none of it landed greatly so far, the delivery not quite right. It got a few snorts. I think it's transitions are quite jarring and it chops up the flow. I'm willing to try further and hope it's early instalment weirdness which improves when we're not learning who everyone is.

15. Otters

High Score:
    I was worried that this was going to be awful after hearing pretty much only bad reviews.

Turns out it's mostly just people being whiny about something new on the internet. It's not exactly Futurama, it's not exactly peak Simpsons. But it has its own charm, and I think a lot of the gripes are coming from people who were expecting a repeat of the same thing instead of something new in a similar style.

There's a good balance between referencing other fantasy media and standing on its own merits - the references are never intrusive, but there are frequent homages. This is how being current with pop culture can be done right, unlike the cringey Star Trek mindscapes in the Dresden Files.

I quite like the elf so far - "I wouldn't say I love war, but I do like it" is one of my favourite lines so far. And there's a fairly human element to a lot of the comedy, for all that it's playing on absurdity for laughs.

So, yeah. Not perfect by a long shot, but way, way better than the constant bitching about it seems to suggest.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My initial reaction was "meh" and I think I made a single snort of amusement in the entire first episode. However, the mermaid island sequence and subsequent naval battle got a proper laugh from me - in particular when the walruses return.

I think the show would do well to take a more direct route to jokes rather than spending so much time on building up the "plot".

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watched a couple of episode and was reminded pretty hard on why the Simpsons/Futurama were always back up TV for me. It's chuckle worthy, but I haven't laughed out loud yet. Definitely more of a show to watch while you're eating dinner, or just need something on in the background.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty low effort jokes all around. Very much a 'watch when nothing is on' sort of show.

I think it would be a lot better if they went all in on the modern satire. The party barge was great.

Elfo and Luci are a tad annoying, but I do like Bean.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Elfo is the least interesting character for sure.

It took a while to hit its stride. I understand that it needed to establish the characters but, yeah. I think the last 3 episodes were definitely a lot better than the first seven.

20. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

To be fair, the first season of the simpsons was no great shakes either. The animation is absolutely gorgeous in this and it’s mostly harmless enough.