1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dishonored: Revenge solves everything

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Legacy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

So I checked around and haven't seen any mention of this game yet. Meet Dishonored folks, a first person stealth action game set in a steampunk universe that has the catch line, Revenge solves everything. From what I've see so far it looks like a mix between dark messiah of might and magic and assassins creed, in other words its awesome.

I have high hopes for it based on the dev team alone with Harvey Smith, one of the minds behind Deus Ex and the Thief series at the head of this project with Arkane studios doing design work.

In the game, you play Corvo, the Empress’ legendary bodyguard. As the game starts, Corvo is falsely imprisoned for her murder. After that you get to murder your way through the world to get revenge.

What sets the game apart in my mind is their emphasis on what they call the Chaos system. It’s an assassination game that reacts to how violent you are. The chaos system tracks how much collateral damage you cause, and the game world changes as a result of your actions. Depending on how you play through the game you will change how every level acts, if you stealthily sneak through all the defenses and get your target without raising an alarm you will cause the guard to increase in size and paranoia as you play. If you say.... attach a bomb to a rat, possess it, walk it into the guard posts and blow the place up as a distraction then you are going to with a different style of enemy AI.

Add in the magic powers you have and the story based around political intrigue and you have one very interested me.

Links below

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...ve/2011/07/11/getting-to-know-dishonored.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDvT7XpaBc

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's made by Bethesda too, so I've got high hopes for it.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sounds really interesting, but I take it that there isn't any release date yet. Still, possible that it comes out this year?

4. Legacy

Everywhere I have seen so far lists spring 2012 sooooooooooooooooo :D

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Actually, it's published by Bethesda Softworks who also publish Bethesda Games Studios and id Software, etc. Zenimax (the parent company of Bethesda) owns a bunch of dev studios and one of them called Arkane Studios is making Dishonored.

Arkane made Arx Fatalis and helped make Bioshock 2's design and art. They were also working on something Half Life related with Valve before that was cancelled and Zenimax bought them. I figure their experience on Bioshock should mean count for a bit when it comes to Dishonored.

I can really tell spelling dishonoured the American way is going to get old really quick... Or will it be spelled the correct way in Australia/the UK, I wonder?

Anyway, all that aside the game looks really interesting so far from what I've seen. A bit of a combination of Assassin's Creed with Bioshock (steampunk theme with plasmid like magic) but with the first person parkour of Mirror's Edge - its impossible to say that doesn't sound awesome.

6. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Don't hate on natural linguistic evolution.

7. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I'm hardly an expert on how languages evolve, but a bunch of the changes made seem pointless to me. Perhaps I'm just bitter because of how confused my sense of correct spelling is, living in Australia but spending a lot of time on American websites.

Whatever, at least I don't have to use your retarded measurement system.

8. Legacy

I'm getting a bit of a list for the potential magic we will have in the game, so far we have time stop magic, kind of a force push attack, a high speed charge attack with it, and the ability to possess and control animals. Little bit about the possession mechanic is that if the animal dies while you are inhabiting it, you die as well. I'm seeing huge application for these powers especially the time stop one.

9. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

This game really does have potential. But I'm always wary of first person games.

10. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Looks and sounds absolutely awesome. Has a lot of potential. And the fact that a developer of the Thief games is working on it makes me even more excited.

11. Legacy

First person games like this do have their issues, I'm thinking Mirrors Edge here with some of the platforming problems. On the other hand there are so many good examples of FPA games done right by this specific team that I'm not worrying about it.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm really looking forward to this; it looks amazing, and if it can live up to all the potential it could be the game of the year, frankly.

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Will be sure to get this and post a review as soon as it's available...

14. Legacy

Same here, this is going to be a fun summer for gaming.

15. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Dishonored sounds fucking awesome. This has me more excited than I was for Skryim.

16. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I wouldn't go that far, but a steampunk Assassin's Creed, made by a guy who did Deus Ex is just full of win. This is my second most anticipated game this year, behind Assassin's Creed itself.

17. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

^This. I can't wait to play this. Assassin's Creed gets really boring after four games with basically same mechanics.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Fuck ya. This looks sweeet. So do want.

Heres hoping it turns out better to Assassin's Creed.

19. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Bah. This looks like it'll be a good game. Really wish I enjoyed stealth games, but... Well, yeah. Stealthy + Coyote = "Hey, it still counts as no one seeing you if everyone's dead, right?"

20. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I love stealth games. A prime reason Batman: Arkham City was a top 5 game to me. Dispensing with foes while they nearly soil themselves in terror because they've no idea where or what you are is supremely gratifying.