1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Distant Star by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, May 25, 2012.

1. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When the fuck did paperbacks start costing sixteen dollars?

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah, I had the same question and asked the imprint.

The List Price is $15.95 (which, scrolling through Amazon just now, seems pretty average). However, the actual price - the price you would pay - is probably more like $9 - $12, depending on the time of year.

That way, the retailers can offer "30% off", or whatever, the list price to make it look like a sweeter deal.

At least, I think that's how it kind of works. So if you looked up my book on Bowker or one of the international ISBN databases, the price would be $15.95, but if you went to one of the online retailers, it would probably be a few dollars cheaper.

Way of the world.

3. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Still. jesus, I remember when paperbacks were like... five bucks. And I'm not even old.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished it a while ago, fucking loved it, review will come in Sunday morning my time, I'm going to need to look through it a couple more times.

Joe
  5. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Picked it up and got about 2/5ths of the way through it. I was a bit leery because Wastelands wasn't really for me, but if nothing else I'm happy to support any DLP author. That being said, I'm extremely glad that I did. While there are similar tones as Wastelands, I enjoy this much more.

Congratulations on getting it done and published Joe, I'll be sure to leave a full review once I finish.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I finished it at about 4:30 AM and left a review a short while ago. I tried to be honest, but still make it clear that I really liked it. Hopefully it comes across that way. I'm always paranoid about leaving reviews, I never seem to get my point across well enough.

7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The price is presumably because this is published through a new imprint, and not one of the huge multinational publishing houses. At least, that's what I'm guessing, on top of the reasons already given, which certainly play into it.

I've given a review on Amazon, obviously a 5/5.

And I'd like to state for the record that even if it wasn't worth one, I'd vote 5/5 and leave a glowing review on Amazon, and only post my true thoughts here, because DLP 4EVA.

I will happily lie to help you guys earn money. It's just a coincidence that I don't have to. :awesome

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Pretty much this. Constructive criticism is super useful but I'd probably post it here rather than there.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm about 20% into this book, and all I can say, is that this is pretty much what I expected from Joe. Overly-epic, with each chapter trying to outdo the other with wit and sarcasm, and enough awesomeness shoved down your throat to force you to want to read more. I'm getting the same vibe as Wastlands (and Inception), and I never did finish that, so we'll see.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

11. Joe

High Score:
    Yeah, while in the same vein as Wastelands, Distant Star is a lot less 'blowing up the universe and shit'. A lot less.

Looking forward to reading your review!

Yep, I read your review. Thanks - you raise some good points. I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Haha. Too kind, my friend. Too kind.

Heh, ...thanks?

Let me know what you think when you're done.

Again, thanks to all who have bought/reviewed/are reading. Most new authors hang around the top 30,000 - 80,000 mark on the paid sales list for months.

I was at 9,000 yesterday and 12,000 at the beginning of today. For a first time offering, priced above $5, that's incredible.

You sons of bitches making me cry tears of manly gratitude.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  12. liath

liath Seventh Year

I finished it.
    That was really, really good.
    It felt epic. Awesome. And I loved the ending.
    But more than that.. it felt polished.

I would love to someday see prequels detailing Declan's life up to Tal's seeming death. (Though we got a taste of that at the end of Distant Star.)

PS: I read this on Kindle PC with white font on black background, and the text seems to blot out at times. As in, I had to switch back to black-on-white to see the text. Which was weird. You might want to look into that. If you need, I can post a screenshot of what it looks like.

13. Joe

High Score:
    Thank you for reading. If you have the time, I'd love if you posted your thoughts in an Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Star-Reminiscent-Exile-ebook/dp/B0085SYSDE/

But no obligation!

Huh, that's odd on the black background/white font thing? I've just gone through it on my Kindle, my Kindle app for mac, and my Kindle app for iPad, and didn't see any blotted out text.

Oh and yeah, there will be prequels and additional details in the form of short stories/novellas, which I'll publish through Amazon myself as oppose to the imprint.

Thanks again!

14. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I want a paper copy and can't really use a kindle copy of it, but bought one anyway. As my favorite author on DLP from the time I joined until now, I'm sure it'll be great and feel so fucking great for you, man. Also glad that you're doing so well. Cheers, man. Fucking cheers.

Could you drop me a pdf? I'll leave a review whenever I finish.

15. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Here's the link for the Kindle for PC download (it's free and you can read all the kindle books right on your computer) http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download
    Here's the one for Mac http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/mac/download
    And here's the link to find the download for pretty much everything else.

Also, this passage is probably my favorite out of the whole thing:
    Last I heard, my grandfather, the custodian of the largest library of existence, had been discredited because of my sins. Good for him.

I chuckled for about 17 years.

16. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Will grab this when it comes up in paperback. Nice work Joe!

BTW, I really like the cover art, whose work it is?

17. liansk

liansk Second Year

just finished.

I really have to run now so I'll post the full review later. For now, all I can say is that I've finished it in one sitting and canceled a date and a few other plans to do so - take your conclusion about the overall quality from that.
    The negative aspect were, as said before, some flat characters and not-so-clear concepts, I'll write more on that later.

By the way, it fucking reeks of Wastelands, but take it as a good thing :awesome

18. Joe

High Score:
    The cover art was done by the incomparable Vincent Chong.

Also, for those holding out for other formats (including epub), Smashwords have it now:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/165504

They distribute to B&N and Sony and Apple and what have you.

19. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Sweet! Just got the ePub version for my nook.

20. Joe

High Score:
    Thank you!

Let me know how it looks, if you could. There were initial formatting issues on the Kindle version, and I'd like to fix epub if we've got the same problem. There should be no issues, but I don't have a Nook.

I've viewed it through a few epub readers and it looks fine.