1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Distant Star by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, May 25, 2012.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Sweet. Glad to hear thoughts on the world building!

Thanks for an awesome review. That was all really useful. Particularly this bit I quoted. I did wonder, when I was writing, if those that have read Wastelands would have issues such as this. But fear not, the next stories, as you say, will expand and evolve beyond the trappings you've come to expect from me.

Thanks again.

Ma thread been stickied? Awesome.

Also, check this out:

[​IMG]

I'm at 19 now in Amazon's Top 20 New Fantasy novels. Apparently I was at 13 yesterday, almost Top 10, but I didn't manage to get a screenshot of that. Still Top 20, bitches. And I have you awesome bastards to thank.

3. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Just want to pop in and say that I love your stories and I will buy this when the paperback comes out. :D

Joe
  4. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

I'll most likely buy the paperback version. Regardless though, I'm happy for you Joe. It's great to see a DLP author getting some recognition.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I still haven't finished it. It feels too much like Wastelands, the content and the feeling that it is trying too hard to be EPIC. As I never much cared for Wastelands it is a bit of a problem for me.

I really haven't connected with any of the characters besides Declan. To be honest, the last characters created by you that I was really invested in were Ethan Rafe, Thomas Fright and Dermas Trask. The fact that I still remember those names is testament to that. They felt like real characters with real personalities, something that I find lacking in your later works in favor of your need to make everyone and everything EPIC.

Still, I have a few dozen pages left to go so maybe my feelings will change when I reach the end.

The world building needs work. It feels like I'm supposed to know the supporting characters and how the magic works but I have no fucking clue. It's like this is a sequel, only you forgot to publish the first book.

The character of Declan is the only thing keeping me invested, though he does feel like a mix between Dresden and Wastelands Potter.

I know I have been rather negative in this review, but as evidenced by other reviews it is all a matter of taste. I preferred the style of your Pre-Wastelands stories, and as Distant Star practically is Wastelands it really isn't surprising that I don't love it.

I'm going to have to make another post after I finish and list all the things I do like about the book because this post makes it seem like I hate it and I don't.

6. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Stopped reading halfway through, picked it up again yestrday andfinished it. On my way home to a real keyboard o I cn review this properly.

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So finally managed to find the time to read it.

It is a great book with an really interesting story but it really feels like it is a second or third in a series..There is such a lot of history between the characters that is never probably explained and your characters suffer from it. Sophie, Ethan, Marcus and Clare didn´t manage to hold my interest nor did I care if they died or not.
    And it really feels like reading a second Wastelands (with the difference that there you already had a nice foundation through the books). It also feels a bit short... nothing is explained probably and while your worldbuilding is really great you don´t give it enough time to really build something, we only see glimpses of the greatness that is the forget.

It is like Jim Butcher decided to begin Dresden Files with Grave Peril... You wrote a great book but I can´t dismiss the feeling that with a prequel the whole thing would have been better.

Still it was an interesting read and you can be sure that I will buy the next one in the series... if only to see Declan again.
    4/5 stars if I ever get to writing a review on amazon.

Joe
  8. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I won't be able to wait for the paper version, but once it IS out, damn right I'll be getting it.

Currently on vacation, but I plan on buying and downloading the Kindle version and throwing it on my phone the day before I fly home. This better be good, because I'm not gonna download any backup books. I'll be sure to leave an Amazon review with my thoughts, though I'm fairly sure that the word 'epic' will be used profusely.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bring me a signed copy when your here later this year Joe and there's a very nice bottle of scotch with your name on it for ya :p.

Joe
  10. Joe

High Score:
    Thanks to all who've read/reviewed or are going to read/review!

For those interested, paperback is pretty much confirmed for some point next week.

Also, I am taking your concerns on board (not so much the similarity to Wastelands thing, as that's a rather unique problem associated to this forum only), but in regard to the supporting cast/getting a view at the broader world stuff.

Rest assured, I could have written a quarter million words for this first story, but less is usually more and I'll tip the balance more towards excess in book two!

I think Distant Star works well as a self-contained story, as well as a prologue to a much larger tale, but then I kind of have to think that. If there's one thing DLP has shown me time and time again, it's that you're all honest, brutally so, in your reviews - of fanfic or otherwise. So far here on the boards I'm averaging 4/5, and that's fantastic validation for me.

So thanks again, DLP. You did make the Acknowledgements page, by the way:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

12. Joe

High Score:
    Oh I'm lawyer'd, son. Bring it.

13. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I somehow missed this thread.

Congratulations, sir.

I'll be picking up the paperback version when it is released, and give a suitably glowing review. I'll leave any minor nitpicks for this thread, rather than there, as I'm happy to give you the feedback and support you deserve publicly. You've been a large part of DLP and our contribution to the fandom, and I'm sure I'll enjoy this as much as I have your other works.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Hey Joe What is you stance on crappy fanfics of your book? Are they allowed? You wouldn't sue us even If our stories gets too crappy right?

Also do you need any help to make this more public? Like other forums what not.

I have a TFF account wich I might share -for a time- if you need.

15. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

So I wasn't going to read this until I finished my exam. Then my sister told me about this awesome book she found on Amazon that I just had to read and loaned me her kindle. I'm a chapter in and already loving it, particularly what I've seen of Will so far. It's a pretty damn unique system.

That said, I do have a nitpick - Sophie's reaction to Declan mentioning Tal's name. It seems to me like a really contrived way to say This Is A Big, Dark Event From My Past Read On And Find Out More.

Apart from that, well I'm confused as hell but not in a bad way.

Again, congratulations Joe. I'll leave a full review on Amazon when I finish.

Joe
  16. Joe

High Score:
  17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I skimmed the page, noticed that it had a link to request it in Kindle form instead of informing folks that it's already in Kindle form, then saw this...

For some reason I always thought that Editorial Reviews on Amazon were from actual editors of some kind of magazine/agency/whatever. But I'm pretty sure CareOtters is just a dude from DLP -- and even if he is a legit RL editor... why is it under that name? Heh, I learned something!

18. Joe

High Score:
    Heh, yeah. Amazon's review program takes reviews that sound similar, or have said roughly the same thing, or given 5-stars or what have you, and amalgamates them into one list.

I think every 24 hours or so, it gets updated (depending on new reviews) and changes to another set of comments.

Edit: And yeah, I queried the same about the Kindle copy - apparently it takes anything from a day to two weeks to link editions of the same novel. Eh?

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Amazon.com also informs that me "Fifty Shades of Grey" is often bundled with "Ender's Game" as the two are commonly bought together.

...So yeah, I don't trust Amazon any more. Cheers Joe.

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    CareOtters is a wonderful genius with the sexiest real name in the world, don't hate.