1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

13 weeks out from my next meet, and I've suddenly forgotten how to squat, my left elbow decided it doesn't like to bench, and work decided to say "fuck your plans" this month.

On the upside, my deadlift has absolutely skyrocketed since I switched to sumo and I'm actually enjoying pulling again.

2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Thanks for the encouragement. With the exception of 2 days I've been straight keto since January 1st, and I'm reasonably fat-adapted for longer since except for Christmas I've been keeping away from carbs for almost a year now. My weight's down to 84 kg now. The cold is gone now, so come Monday I'll ease back into training again.

Increasing weights isn't an option for me though, because I'm doing calisthenics and just go through the progression exercises.

In other news, I've started Ido Portal's hanging challenge, where for 30 days you switch between doing passive and active hangs from a bar for 5-7 minutes. (It's 7, really, but I can motivate myself only for 5.) Two things there: (a) managed my first full 60-seconds passive hang today, and (b) my hands are goddamn callused now. But I think it's doing good things for my shoulders and grip strength.

3. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did Tough Mudder 5k on Friday evening and my last few months of gym attendance -- both strength and cardio -- paid off nicely. Finished the course without too much trouble, and was able to tackle all of the obstacles solo. I suppose the next goal shall be a "Tough Mudder Half", which is 8k and more obstacles. I like the way they mix cardio, strength and endurance and so require all-round fitness. Plus the team aspect makes them much more fun.

4. Samuel Black

Those things really are a blast. I've done a couple warrior dashes and various other mud runs, and I've always enjoyed the different obstacles. I've been wanting to do a Tough Mudder forever, but the only ones they do in my area are the 8k ones and none of my exercise buddies ever want to run that far.

5. Atlas

Atlas First Year

High Score:
    Well, I'm a few weeks into my cut, and my abs are showing so I gues I am track hahaha, although my strength is decreasing, I'm still hoping I can get most of it back in the next month after my cut. muscle memory and all that.

well that was my update, checking out.

6. Samuel Black

If you're seeing massive strength loss, you're either cutting too quickly or need to drop some volume and raise the intensity. But yeah you should get it back quickly

7. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

A few people know what I do for a living, if you help making a workout schedule/plan/anything, hit me up on IRC and I'd be happy to help.

8. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Pretty sure I hit some point of being addicted to exercise, and gonna need to make a concentrated effort to reduce it. Four and a half hours a day is ridiculous, and I've very likely been damaging myself, at least in the short term. Lots of fatigue, and I think I've noticed a bad trend of being grumpy to friends that could be explained by over-exercise. (I mean, hopefully. I don't wanna be a jerk D:)

Hell, it's iffy on the long term stuff, as well. I've been reading about some bad effects that come with marathon running and how it has a negative effect on the heart. The heart's a complex organ, and we're always learning new stuff, but there's been some signs of atrial fibrillation being increased due to excess fibrosis. I don't want to base my entire decision on something like that, but it's something to consider.

There's been one time when I've missed cardio, and that was when I shredded my meniscus. So other than those two weeks of recovery from surgery, I've never missed a single day. I had the flu this season, it lasted three weeks, and I still hit my mark every day. Hell, I still did weight training, just wearing gloves and a mask to the gym.

It's stupid when I lay it out like that, but it's a weird thing to try and tell yourself that exercising is a negative thing. It's easy to ignore, and there's not as many places that talk about potential dangers of over-exercising.

Feels weak to admit to something like this, and there's still a part of me reluctant to even call this a problem. I just have a feeling that there's potentially a point in the future where I would look back and think "Why didn't I change something then?" and I want to get ahead of that.

Anyway. All of this to say that I reduced cardio from three hours and thirty minutes to two hours and thirty minutes yesterday, and intend to do so again today. I want to look at the end of the week and evaluate how this works out.

Would you agree that this is a problem?

I wonder at the possibility that my body is just too efficient after so much cardio, and I wonder at how to regulate it more towards a normal level. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Sorry for dumping this out here. I dunno. This is my internet home, I respect a whole lot of people here, and I figured that it'd be the best place for it, if I was gonna talk about it at all.

I could probably just stay quiet and do it on my own like I did with weight loss, but I feel like I have a lot less information to work with regarding exercise reduction and I'm hopeful that there are some opinions about how to go about it.

9. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

Have you heard of the Tarahumara indians?

Anyway, the closest match I can think of (without searching ncbi, which I don't have experience with --- so I'd be starting from scratch, without understanding the contours of current literature) is Lyle McDonald's commentary on The Biggest Loser and fat loss. The findings were that above a certain body fat level, excessive exercise and/or deep caloric deficit do NOT trigger metabolic adaptations that would occur in leaner individuals. Moreover when adaptations start to occur, the sheer volume of activity is sufficient to slow them down.

That's a good thing. Leaner folks have a hard time exercising on a deep deficit, and the 1-2 hours' activity that they can afford to sustain calorically (unless you're eating massive amounts like an elite athlete) just isn't enough to offset those metabolic perturbations.

More to the point: if you're below ~20% fat for guys (30% for girls), then yes it's time to start dialing down your volume. Else it really is going to affect you energetically and mentally. The danger here is that you might not maintain your fat loss if you haven't been working on your nutrition up till now --- if you haven't you need to map out that transition to a maintenance meal plan. I can't speak to any potential biomechanical issues, but I agree you're likely addicted to an unsustainable schedule. Work on channeling that elsewhere?

I believe you hit diminishing returns (in terms of the actual metabolic benefits of running, like improved mitochondrial functioning) around the 50-60 mile/week mark, and even competitive elites only really want around 120 miles/week, 18-20 miles/day, which can be done in 2 hrs. Also yea, most ultramarathoners are really fucked in the head, they're usually escaping from real world problems. Don't be them. Re-engage with normality.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. Samuel Black

@Rehio

It absolutely is a problem, but I would prefer that problem to the reverse. Still, I think there's some things you should do.

I'm not a runner. So I'll be using lifting as my example. I don't actually get stronger in the gym. I go to the gym, I lift, I strain. All that does is break down my muscle tissue, put strain on my ligaments and tendons, etc. What actually makes me stronger is the process of healing from that damage I caused while exercising. I love the gym. And it's hard, but I do 4 days a week. Anymore than that and I start to accumulate nicks and dings in my knees and elbows. You aren't doing yourself any favors by exercising every day, and my suggestion is you should taper it down.

Well, how? Pick a day. Any day, but it's the same one every week. Do not, under any circumstances, run or lift on that day. You know what you can do? Yoga, take a 30 minute walk, stretch, foam roll, anything like that. But it isn't too exceed 30 minutes of that day. It's gonna drive you crazy at first, but you'll get through it and you'll be better off in the long term. And my bet is you'll start to notice increased performance on the other days as well.

11. Rehio

I've been at 5% for a couple years, now. It's probably been messing with me for quite a while now, if it has been.

I've stuck to a strict 2,000 calories a day since I hit 150 pounds, as well. And by strict I mean I haven't had anything outside my three meals a day at all.

I'm not quite sure if I could manage that sort of thing at the moment, but that's just as a first reaction. It's something I'd have to put in the back of my mind for a while to get used to, I think, before I tried it. And I guess I want to see how these next couple weeks of this small reduction turn out. If I can prove to myself that reducing it by an hour isn't going to have a negative effect, then I can move forward more.

It's a bit weird. I know if I took a step back and looked at it from a broad perspective that even gaining a bit of weight shouldn't be an issue. I know I'm capable of losing any amount at any point in time. Applying that broad perspective to real time is more difficult than it should be.

Thanks for your posts, guys, I appreciate them. Gonna keep workin' at it.

12. Samuel Black

Medically speaking, staying at 5% body fat for very long can have extremely detrimental affects on your health. I'm glad you're taking a step towards reducing the amount of exercise, and I really hope you don't concern yourself with the scale. I always tell people, who gives a shit what you weigh, measure your progress through the mirror and through body measurements. Because as you reduce exercise, you are going to gain weight. That's a given. You're at five percent body fat, you NEED to gain weight. Ideally, I'd say you should get up to 10-12% which is still really low compared to most people. I think I walk around at like 14-17% at 190 lbs.

Good luck though man. You've obviously got the discipline to do whatever you want to do, so I know you'll get it figured out.

13. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Yeah, I have a few clients who freak out at not training 7 days a week but one just had to take 2 weeks off from a partial bicep tear.

I knew he couldn't not exercise, he uses it as a crutch not to go out and get pissed. So instead we gave him recovery days. Prehab work, foam rolling, meditative work, isometric strength work, but non fatiguing as far as we could manage. Perhaps this would work for you.

Kind of like nicotine gum for cigarettes.

14. Rehio

First weigh in after reducing cardio by an hour puts me at four pounds heavier than last week. How incredibly aggravating.

Just gonna need to look up and remind myself of all the factors that could go into an increase and just make it not bother me, somehow.

15. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

Likely you're retaining more glycogen, thus water weight. Water weight will account for a fairly good fluctuation. I can drop a sizable 5+ lbs by cutting out carbs for a 48-72 hr period, doesn't mean I've lost or gained any fat/energy store. You want to have been focused on the fat loss, not weight loss; your initial mental conditioning on this aspect wasn't ideal in the first place (although you sure were effective).

For an obese person, easily the first 10-15 lbs they shed, in the first week or two, will be water weight. After that fat loss will depend on their level of obesity: on a deep deficit a heavily obese person can lose 1+ lb a day. That's on the high end; most will lose fairly less than that. Whether any part of the weight they lose is muscle (and they tend to have quite a bit of muscle) depends on whether they're getting sufficient protein in their diet.

The leaner you are, the more muscle you WILL lose on a proper deficit, and fighting that requires 1) the stimulation of strength exercise and 2) extra protein even, to compensate for your leanness. So not all "weight loss" is beneficial (though obese people have more muscle and connective tissue than their lean body mass actually needs).

Anyway, just the fact that a person can easily fluctuate 5-10 lbs on water weight alone, on a weekly or even day-to-day basis, means you'd be a lot more secure if you dialed in your maintenance meal plan to account for your calories, instead of guessing at the weighing scale. Also to second what Samuel said, 10-12% fat tends to be a lot more maintainable than leaner percentages. I wouldn't worry about correcting course unless you get beyond that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. Samuel Black

It's just water, mate. Don't worry about it. If you have the ability to get a dexa scan, I would say to do that periodically to track your fat. Let it get up to 10%, and then maintain from there.

17. Rehio

Looks like there's a place near me that'll do it for 150. Four a year for 44 dollars. Looks interesting, I'll look into it. I've mostly stuck to hydrostatic weighing, which always seemed accurate enough to me, but maybe a more in depth scan could be informative (or hell, it'd just be cool to have).

Thanks for sticking with me on this whole deal. It's weird, I know a lot about weight loss, I know it's probably just water weight, but it's just breaking through mental conditioning.

18. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

For sure, man. It's tough, there's no doubt. You have to keep it in your head that any water you would accumulate will be intramuscular as opposed to sitting on above the muscles.

You should look up stuff by Eric Helms. It's fact based and he is very good at talking folk through a lean bulk, which I think will help in your case. DLP's here for you, if you ever have questions, post on the thread or drop someone a message. If we don't know the answer, chances are we know where will.