1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 23, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That... is something I forgot about.

:sherlock:

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was precisely for that reason. We weren't getting much interest in participation at all, so we stopped organising them. I think the last one we did got 3 entries, the one before that something like 5.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oracle, (I don't know why I'm giving you an idea) if you really want, make a group for this stuff and see if anyone joins it.

4. Snupps

High Score:
    I can already foresee how well that will work out.

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

How long ago was that? If it was more than, say, two years, it might be worth looking at again.

I know that I personally have felt the urge to write something fun and loose and not necessarily super well-thought-out and structured. Kind of, "here's the prompt, take a few hours, bang out some words," especially when I have the itch to write but I can't quite muster up the energy to put in "serious effort."

Anyway, my point is it seems like the niche interest probably exists, and the base of "active" writers is always in flux.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

We've talked about it several times on irc in the past month. There's been a few different ideas talked about, but nothing concrete yet. I think we want to try and not make the same mistakes as last time.

7. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Perhaps if an incentive were offered, the story competitions could get off the ground again.

Say, an Amazon gift card of some value or equivalent.

We could use the anthology funds - not enough to do it every month, of course. But if there were a quarterly or even bi-annually competition, the gift card could conceivably hover between $25-$50.

I dunno - the last bit of cash I received from the anthos was donated via the donation link, so it'd require some thought. If someone got off their ass and started punching out those anthologies again, we'd have more to work with.

But time and time again the guy running them has shown himself an unreliable asshole. ;)

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I recall correctly they were monthly competitions, weren't they? Maybe it would work better if they were more infrequent?

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think that's a good point, monthly is a bit too often, especially with the busy lives most of us lead.

Perhaps quarterly would be the best idea? I think bi-annual would be a bit too long. Or every 4 months, which is... thirdly? I guess there isn't really a provision for a third of a year. :p

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

One idea to consider for competitions is something I've seen done elsewhere and is essentially... "You have 24/36/48 hours to write. Go."

So you advertise the competition in advance by at least a week or two, but not the prompt. I.e. "Hey guys! August 1st at 9pm CST there will be a prompt advertised!"

Then when 9pm hits, you give out the prompt, say something like... "Death Eaters attack a muggle theme park while Harry and the Dursley family are visiting." Or preferably something cooler than that. But I do think the prompt needs to be specific not generic.

Don't put a word count limit on it. The enforced 'time to write' deadline plus the prompt being unknown til its time to start should keep things from getting too terribly long.

Then hopefully you'd get a bunch of people just doing it for fun. I know one of my stories (Scents of Cinnamon and Death) was written mostly on a whim because I got into a 'word count competition' on IRC with someone. Who can write the most words in an hour? Etc. I started something new and a day later had a workable draft.

I feel like the reason I haven't participated in past competitions is because it's too much work (in my mind) for something I'm not invested in. If I have a month then I'll take a month, you know? And that keeps me from other things.

Or not. To be honest I don't miss competitions that much.

But 'hell to the naw' at the houses concept for DLP.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  11. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would do this competition, love the idea.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The short-termed competition sounds pretty cool. I'd suggest doing it over the weekend to give the people enough time, with a thought to time zones (i.e. starting Friday at midday Australian time, ending Sunday night west coast time).

13. Snupps

High Score:
    Well, at least I raised interest in something :p

As mentioned, weekends and other holidays are your best bets. I also like the idea of it having a specific scenario, rather than something more wider in range.

14. theminikiller

theminikiller Third Year

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the DLP banner at the top of the screen is only clickable on the left side. I would think it more normal for the whole banner to be a link to the main site. And it annoys me at times when I click the wrong part of the banner and nothing happens...

15. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Assuming you're using the Classic DLP skin, intentional. It's two separate images.

16. theminikiller

theminikiller Third Year

Yes, forgot to mention that was the theme I was using. Would it still be possible to make the whole length a link to the main page? It's of course not a big issue for me, but it sometimes annoy me when I press the wrong side and, in my limited expertise, I believe that having the whole width be a clickable image is the norm for banners.

17. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

It's certainly possible, whether they do it or not is the question. You could switch to Project DLP if you want a single wide banner that's clickable.

18. theminikiller

theminikiller Third Year

Oh, thanks. That should probably have been one of the first things to try, changing the theme...
    Changed to Project DLP and that banner works perfectly :p

19. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, is anyone actually planning on doing this? Because it really does sound like a nice idea. I checked out the old ones and like you said they probably didn't want to dedicate their time to such long submissions in that case the time competitions would be better like you said for those on DLP who're busy.
    Also longer submissions like they used to do could be the quarterly competitions and the timed ones can be advertised and held more frequently since they take less time?

Also, still wondering if anyone started planning one of these since ?

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If we do decide to give it a go then I think 36 hours is probably the best amount of time. Since it's a-day-and-a-half it's less likely to screw over people in disparate time zones, though maybe 60 hours would work nicely too.

Not open for further replies.