1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Video Game Survey

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sey, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A survey pertaining to video games. Take it when you have the time. No information is recorded besides your answers.

Survey

Results

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Maybe I'm biased, but choices for number of consoles doesn't seem that varied. Like, I own something like 20 and that's not including handhelds. I guess it depends on gamers vs non gamers, but it seems like having 5+ isn't that hard when it's like PC + current gen console + last gen console + random handheld + old console.

3. Sey

High Score:
    I meant what was still in use. I have an old Xbox lying around, but I don't ever use it so I didn't consider that when answering. I will fix that question to clear it up.

4. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

So English is not my native language and this question is kind of stumping me:

I don't believe that women/minorities are portrayed enough in video games?
    Yes
    No
    They are just targeting their primary demographic.

It's a bit weirdly structured to me. I believe that there could be more different protag's besides standard white male, so what do i answer? Yes?

Also, I feel like there could be more 'I don't know' or N/A answers, I've never played VR so I can't answer that question but it doesn't give me the option.

5. Sey

High Score:
    Yeah. That question was awfully worded, but I can't fix it completely without removing the validity of the other responses. However, for that question you would answer "no".

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's wrong. He said he wants more diversity, so he doesn't believe there's enough of it. The question could be paraphrased as "there isn't enough diversity", so he should answer Yes.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems straightforward to me. "Yes, they do," vs. "No, they don't."

(The correct answer is "No.")

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

The negative form of the question muddies the waters. You can read it both ways - either how Aviary read it or the exact opposite ("Yes, they do not." vs "No, they do.") Strictly linguistically speaking, the second reading makes more sense because it's a direct answer utilising the phrasing of the question, but considering you end up with 'Yes [..] no' or 'No [...] yes' answers, the first way of answering is one that makes more sense in the social construct of language.

In short, the question is whack and negative phrasings are terrible.

I answered as per the social interpretation, and not the linguistic one.

I would have preferred the answer about 'what do you care about in games' to have been a scale question instead of the 'pick one most important', personally - that'd probably give a better idea of what DLP thinks is important. Games rely on their gameplay a lot, but this all-or-nothing format understates the perceived importance of the other factors.

Also, at one of the suggested questions... It's been three fucking years.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Seyllian

It's collector, not collecter.

Survey is kinda meh, tbh. The DLC question is too narrow (actually I meant too broad, too much of a generalization) for me, or rather I'd have liked a few more questions on specific DLC issues. Like, yeah, if it's a game I like and DLC isn't a blatant scam, I want more of that game I like. But fuck off with Day 1 DLC. Some of the wording was weird. And of course I remember it now when there was a place to put proposed questions in the survey itself, but it could use a question about preordering hardware to compliment the one about software. TIL making a good survey takes some skillz.

10. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

I ended up going for the Yes answer before I went to bed because I thaught that was the right one, ah well not like it's life changing.

Like others said above me, some answers were to narrow and there could have been more neutral or different ones. I've never bought a Season Pass so I wouldn't know anything about their value. But I think I made this point earlier in the thread.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    ^ Agree on the season pass. Never bought one and never really paid attention to them because to me they just seem like a prepaid preorder.

Also, the favorite game question is impossible. I could no more tell you what my favorite game is than I could definitively name a favorite movie. Too many games I like to pick one.

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

English is my native language, and I took issue with the transparency of that question. Surveys should allow for the least amount of interpretation possible, so as not to skew the results with answers based on misunderstandings.

I think one of the easiest ways to remove the ambiguity from questions like that one is to finish the question in the answer choices.

I believe that, in video games, women/minorities are portrayed...
    [ ] Enough
    [ ] Not enough
    [ ] They are just targeting their primary demographic.

I'm with @ScottPress on the DLC questions.

There is cosmetic DLC, which was addressed separately, but there are also maps, campaigns, weapons, cheats, vehicles, extra player characters, soundtracks (not to be confused with extra music, for DDR and Guitar Hero style games)...

I have no use for cheat DLC (extra money/weapons/skills), unless it's included in a package deal that's cheaper than buying everything separately. I got a package deal when I bought Saint's Row 3 that included some cheat stuff, but I only got it because the package that included it was much cheaper than buying what I wanted separately.

If I could buy extra maps for a game like Risk of Rain, I'd do it in a heartbeat, whereas Call of Duty games can fuck their ridiculously overpriced map packs (which you have to deactivate, anyway, in order to find any lobbies) right up their collective ass.

I buy season passes (if they're worth it) when they are on sale, because it's usually cheaper to do that than to buy the DLC piecemeal. I wouldn't touch a CoD season pass unless it came with the cure for RL death.

Depending on what the actual goal of the survey is, there are more questions I could suggest.

A short series of questions about modding wouldn't be out of place. Do you use game mods? Does the ability to mod a game affect your decision to purchase it? Are you an active participant in any game's modding scene? Have you ever donated money to fund mod development?

Perhaps a question on if you purchase Early Access games or fund Kicktarter campaigns for video games.

If you answered yes to owning a PC, did you buy that PC primarily for gaming?

And what is, perhaps, the most important question ever...

Mildly Fun Fact: I've only ever pre-ordered two games, which were also the only collector/special editions I ever bought: Unreal Tournament 2004, and Bioshock 2. Both were physical copies with physical extras. I wouldn't pre-order, these days, unless I were paid (and paid well) to do so. :p

13. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

Unfortunately this sentence (and so question) still doesn't make any sense.

Maybe some more text to clarify. Unfortunately the questions are set, so something like:

Video games are often criticised about the proportion of women/minorities as characters and especially player characters. Do you think that there are already enough female/minority characters, not enough, or that there should be more but the inequality is okay because of a majority male demographic of players?
    [ ] Enough
    [ ] Not enough
    [ ] They are just targeting their primary demographic.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It makes perfect sense, when you realize it is not one sentence; it is two different people, with the answer-giver cutting off the person asking the question, because they've heard too much already.

It helps if you end the answer with, "NEXT!" :mrgreen:

;)

15. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Only one game that I've Pre-Ordered, and that is Persona 5.

If it's the MegaTen series I'm likely to pre-order to be honest, those games are my drug.

Also whoever else has ME2 as their favourite game I love you <3

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I didn't like how some of the questions were constructed so I didn't answer them.

Other than that, it's an ok survey.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah that 'women protag' question was a doozy. I took exception to the word 'need' and answered in what I thought was a negative. There doesn't 'need' to be more women protagonists, make what you want etc.

And LOL at the upper limit of spending money on games being $500. * tugs collar nervously *

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

19. Tsundereworks

Tsundereworks Squib

High Score:
    That upper limit of $500 is pretty laughable I think that might be the medium amount most people spend now and the upper being over $5000 especially with the steam TCG gimmick.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dammit, only one other person 41-50. Need more Get Off My Lawn people.

I suggested "What was your first gaming system/platform" as an additional question, but man, will answering that ever date a person.

I had an original Pong console. :|