1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Writing Contests - The Rebirth

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tinn Tam, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Following the discussion here, and after receiving approval from the Powers That Be, the DLP Writing Contests may start up again.

Slight changes in rules and organisation have been decided:

- Organisation: Mordecai and Dwitty are officially in charge (actually, they wrote about 95% of this post -- I'm just here to pretty it up).

- New rules, by Mordecai:

Rejoice and celebrate. And write.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Thanks to the organizers for starting this back up again.

A brief suggestion: you may wish to specify whether stories can appear in a public setting before judging/results are announced. I suspect you'd prefer for them not to be--after all, if one could simply post one's story on fanfiction.net or patronuscharm, it'd defeat the whole purpose of double-blind judging.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thanks for pointing that out Pers. As per the adjustment above, prior to judging being completed authors should ensure their story remains anonymous, and after the judging is complete all entries we have received will be posted in a dedicated thread in WbA with the authors names attached.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A separate WBA subforum might be more appropriate. It'd be good if people are able to find all contest entries in one place. If it's a normal thread they'll slowly get buried in WBA history.

5. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Why can't you just use the Story Showcase subforum that already exists?

6. Mordecai

High Score:
    That's entirely possibly how we'll do it. We'll work it out more specifically towards the end of January.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Time to see if I've polished up my writing skills any since the last contest fizzled out. Great to see this is back up and running, guys!

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When does it begin... January 1st, or as soon as viable topics are discussed and decided upon? I'm definitely writing for the first competition. Glad to see it up and running so soon.

9. Mordecai

High Score:
    We'll be taking in topic ideas for the next 48 hours. I'll then put up a poll, and after 48 hours of voting we'll apply the results to the next several cycles. The top result will immediately be used for the first competition cycle, the second result to the second cycle etc. The deadline for entries in the first cycle will be the 31st of January, giving you roughly a month and a half to get your entry put together.

Those wanting to suggest topics should PM either myself or Dwitty with the ideas, or email them to DLPWritingContest@gmail.com

10. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Would be nice to see topics that are a little more interesting than just 'Auror!Harry', 'Azkaban!Harry', etc. I think submissions in those topics would be boring, especially in characterisation. Hopefully the topics are quite creative.

Additionally, why extend writing periods if the topics are known in advance? Wouldn't the fact that you can write for a competition 10 months from now remove the need for an extra 30 days of 'writing time' between competitions? Won't certain topics lack for entries whilst authors concentrate on one or two topics?

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    We'll only use the poll to select topics for the next couple of cycles. We'll repeat the process down the line. To prevent the problems you mentioned.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fantastic news. I've been needing some motivation to get more writing done recently, and this might just be it.

13. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

I love contests like this, so I'm looking forward to this.

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    OP updated in response to a couple of queries about judging I got by PM.

15. melior

melior Seventh Year

What about length and completeness criteria? I had assumed it would have to be complete and you wouldn't want oneshots or single chapters of a WIP, but looking back briefly through previous contests, it looks like those things were accepted.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    Length is a maximum of 50,000 words. Nothing longer is allowed. Anything shorter is fine. If you want to submit a 3k oneshot short story go for it, nothing to say it won't be good enough to win.

For completeness, if you want to submit a multi-chapter novella that fits into the 50k limit feel free. If you want to submit a oneshot, feel free. If you want to submit something that would be the first part of a WIP, that too is fine. In the latter case you'd be well advised to ensure it is something of a self-contained story, so that the judges can really get a feel for what is going on.

The only thing that is not accepted is an entry that would require specific foreknowledge. No sequels, continuations etc of the authors previous work. That'd both defeat the purpose of anonymity, and prevent equal judging.

I'll get a mod to add this stuff to the OP at some point.

And remember, we're into the last couple of hours for suggesting topics!

---------- Post automerged at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

CLICK HERE to vote on the theme being used for the next couple of competition cycles.

You can place up to three votes. There are 18 options available.

This is an honour system, so don't try and cheat the poll to get the result you want. If we think the poll has been screwed with, we'll have to repeat it here on DLP, which will mean fewer options. So don't screw with the poll.

The poll will remain up for roughly 48 hours.

17. Dwitty

Dwitty Seventh Year DLP Supporter

We could also do with more judges. If you're willing, having seen the topics, don't hesitate to fire us an email. Don't be shy now, do it. (DLPWritingContest@gmail.com)

Here's the poll link again: Link

18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Done and done.

Looking forward to this.

I've had this idea for a story rattling around in my head for awhile. My thanks to all who have a part in organising this venture.

19. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voted.

Good luck to Joe and all of the other competitors when the time comes.

20. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

/voted. Here's to hoping the topics I want win, as I can keep the story I've started to outline.