1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP's stance on /r/HPFanfiction's abandoned story project

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 8, 2015.

1. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

Immoral? Taking an idea and making a story off it? You consider that stealing? That kind of thinking is, what lead to the ridiculously restrictive copyright we have today and the Damocles' Sword hanging over fanfic in general (it just takes a fucking cunt as Anne Rice to forbid people doing fanfics off her stuff). You shouldn't damn derivative works, you should welcome them!

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, immoral, because using another person's stuff without their permission is a dick thing to do. There's nothing more to it than that.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just imagine what Stephenie Meyer must be thinking.

"That cunt James... I should've cracked down on her when I had the chance. I could have made another 100 mln bucks."

As with everything, too much of a good thing is bad. And this whole issue isn't the same as fanfiction of officially published fiction. It's about people being wilfully ignorant or actually so obtuse that they just don't get it.

And lastly, do you want these guys to pick up Stranger? Or the Inner Eye? Do you?

4. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yes. Yes I do consider it immoral to steal without permission. As someone who has been stolen from on multiple occasions, I don't feel the least bit welcoming towards my work being shat all over by a complete stranger who can't even be arsed to ask me if I'm okay with that.

It's not just about morality, it's also about respect. Enjoy and appreciate the authors who give you leave to play in their sandboxes. But for fuck's sake, respect the wishes of those who don't. It's that respect that gives us space for fanfiction in the first place.

5. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I would like to point out that writing a continuation without copying any text from the original Authors work. While douchy is just writing fanfiction of fanfiction, which there really isn't anything wrong with. Copying someones text and passing it of as your own though, that is stealing and should be stomped down as soon as it shows up.

And that is the last I will post on this subject, my opinions of the subject make me look a bit like a douche I'm afraid.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  6. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

That is only, if you consider writing fanfiction based on fanfiction "stealing", which I don't.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't matter to me whether you think it's stealing or not; it's still a dick thing to do. It doesn't have to fit under the category of stealing to be wrong. Just like how you don't have to break a law to be a douche.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Stop responding to the retards who can't follow instruction. I know you guys have the best intent, but just report them so I don't have to consider banning you as well. It annoys me when I have to pick and choose ban targets when you're all doing the wrong thing.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter