1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Strange?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Riley, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I didn't see a thread for this so I started this one. If a mod could merge this if needed I'd be greatly thankful.

Two seperate sources have pseudo-confirmed that Benedict Cumberbatch is being targeted for the role of Doctor Stephen Strange strongly.

Any other news on this? I'm a fan of the Strange-verse.

2. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

So is Colin Farrell. And Ethan Hawke. And a whole bunch of others. We know nothing just yet.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, this was vaguely alluded to during Graham Norton so it seems likely.

Also alluded to was a return to Star Trek franchise, and maybe a small surprise cameo in Star Wars.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    News at 11: popular, talented, good looking actor rumoured to be attached to potential blockbuster.

In all seriousness, there have been a whole host of names considered that nothing came of. Marvel might very well want him, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Quite apart from anything else, last I heard they were filming more Sherlock in 2015, so if Dr Strange is coming out summer 2016, that's a tight schedule for him.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would like to see Cumberbatch play Doctor Strange. He's one of my favourite comic book heroes in the same way Iron Man is. He's a very flawed man who is practically forced into heroism, only to find that it suits him.

6. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I doubt it's going to be Cumberbatch or anyone else they announced as interested in the role. IIRC Chris Pratt, Evans and Hemsworth all were not among the publicized shortlists for their roles so I doubt the person who plays Strange will be any different.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Think he suits the role? I imagined someone older tbh. Like Hugh Laurie.

My only Strange knowledge comes from friends and wiki though, so I'm by no means certain.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If you have netflix there is a Doctor Strange animated movie on there. Pretty good.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I did the Netflix in Australia thing once. Didn't watch it enough to justify keeping it.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Casting is now confirmed: Cumberbatch it is.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    A little younger than perhaps ideal, but depending on how they spin it could fit nicely. Cumberbatch is definitely good enough to pull it off.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like this. I like it a lot. Cumberbatch may be in everything these days, but he's a fantastic actor. When I picture Doctor Strange I can quite happily put Cumberbatch's face on him without too much cognitive dissonance.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    I was kind of hoping for Pedro Pascal tbh. Really curious to see how this turns out.

Ash
  14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    As we are (I think) less than a week away from release, I thought I'd revive this thread with something slightly relevant.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Benedict was born for this role. I'm convinced.

Also, crossover with HP when?

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

For some reason this time we have it almost two weeks before US and I watched it today. A short review - another great film from MCU.

A longer review may have spoilers, though to be honest there is not much to spoil.

The thing that makes this film stand out from other superheroes is its visuals. I loved all scenes involving magic playing with space and time. That said, when it comes to different uses of magic, I would prefer more variety that wasn't there. It's something that that should be improved in the next one.

The thing that makes it different from most MCU films is its original musical score. While always serviceable in previous movies, this time it's something that can fully stand on its own and be listened with no reference to the film itself.

Benedict Cumberbatch (I was going to make a joke about his name after I misspelled it, but somehow I managed to get it right on the first try) did what was expected of him and then some. Then again he makes a living out of playing brilliant, but insufferable characters.

In my opinion he definitely can replace RDJ as a central character in future Avengers films and they meeting should be awesome too.

For all the controversy, Tilda Swinton (another unusual name in the cast) as the Ancient One was an inspired choice that simply worked. I would definitely watch a prequel about her time as the Sorcerer Supreme.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (he may be high on the list of actors I like, but I definitely need Google to check how to spell his name) as Karl Mordo was good. Not amazing yet, but we finally have a character that will slowly be build up into a worthy villain.

Which is something that MCU is definitely lacking at the moment and Mads Mikkelsen (seriously, I'm starting to suspect that they intentionally chose actors with strange names) is not going to improve. His character was just another mediocre and disappointing villain.

(Another) Benedict Wong played wonderful Wong (finally something easy to remember). Not a servant, but a stern master and a straight man to Strange.

For a role she had, just another normal human character to support the main hero, Rachel McAdams was surprisingly good and charming. While no Peggy Carter, she's closer to Pepper Potts than Jane Foster.

The whole film worked remarkably well, even if it was just another origin of the superhero. I would like if it explored more of Strange's studies and how he slowly gained another levels of mastery (as presented by his change of costume), but I get why they cut it short.

My final complain is a design of a certain villain that while worked with the rest of visuals, just wasn't what it should be to be truly remarkable.

All in all, 8.5/10 from me. Maybe even fully 9/10, but I need to rewatch it later to decide that.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  17. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very enjoyable, very rewatchable. However, I genuinely didn't like Cumberbatch's american accent. Maybe I'm just too used to his regular one, but it just sounded forced and like it kept slightly changing.

However, if that's my worst complaint then it must have been a pretty good film!

18. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Have to agree on everything. I really liked the supporting characters, because none felt too aloof and actually always somewhat comprehensible (especially Swinton).

The humor was a bit forced here and there (e.g. Beyonce) but overall enjoyable.

The climax was a bit rushed (and too easy), but the visuals made more than up for it.

I thought the after credit scene was very interesting.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    The after credits scenes were the wrong way around imo.

Especially with the 'Doctor Strange will return' line at the end of the credits. Surely a perfect seg into the Thor teaser.

Definitely see in 3D if you can. The way it layers the incredible visuals and makes them pop is a must.

I never get people complaining about - good - accents. Surely if you can't unhear his regular accent, that's your problem?

Tbf, I've no idea why they didn't just make him British. They had no problem with Swinton as the Ancient One, but making Strange British would just be a step too far? Just bizarre.

20. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I really loved the Ancient One and I actually quite sad that we won't see more of her in the future - I felt like she had a really interesting character and her relationship with her students/Strange was one of the things I enjoyed most.