1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Does Snape's love for Lily make up for all his bad deeds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M.L., Oct 4, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There is, as a matter of fact, a difference between calling someone an idiot and making it so you're a kid's biggest fear.
    Anyway. What are you basing the idea that Snape is remotely remorseful about anything other than Lily's death on? I can't recall him ever showing a shred of remorse, save for regretting Lily's unfortunate demise. Sure can't recall him being sad about having to murder Dumbledore.
    Nor about bullying Hermione, one of the muggleborns he's apparently against discriminating.

Well, what other motives could he have had for telling Voldemort? Clearly he was savvy enough in Occlumency that he successfully hid secrets from Voldemort. He didn't have to tell the Dark Lord anything, but chose to do so anyway.
    Why, then? I see two possible reasons here:
    a) he wanted to see Voldemort win. Which is possible, but then why join the Order of the Phoenix and give them information? Unless you get into the double/triple agent clusterfuck, but even then I believe that was more Snape keeping his options open than anything else.
    b) he wanted James (and implictly Harry, AKA Actual Proof Snape Did Not Fuck Lily Potter, an innocent baby) dead and gone, as this was his only real shot at bagging the only woman he ever loved. So he told Voldemort the Prophecy but begged him to keep Lily alive. So tragic it didn't work out for him and he resorted to remorsefully bullying the innocent kid who's being an orphan he orchestrated.

I can use whatever words I damn well please. And for comparing the Death Eaters to Israel, there are few words that fit better, IMO, than 'retarded'.

2. zojgruhl

zojgruhl Disappeared

He was Neville's greatest fear, because he did things like calling him an idiot, etc. on the regular. He's an asshole. Which is not the same as being a murderer, which is how he sees it.

And everything I said in the original post about how JKR talks about/frames him. He's on the Order, knows what that job is. Or, what would Snape showing remorse look like? Him making a speech? Looking visibly frowny after Dumbledore asked him to murder him? He knew Dumbledore was going to die eventually, and he asked him to kill him. He doesn't bully Hermione because she's a Mudblood, that's because he's an asshole. I can see an argument that that's implicitly discriminatory, though. But I think his annoyance with Hermione's personality and general jerkishness was the factor there.

As for the prophecy, he didn't know who it entailed. He told Voldemort because he was a DE and that would allow him to curry him favour. Found out Lily was targeted, asked Voldemort to spare her, then went to Dumbledore. He wasn't thinking about James and Harry, because Lily was who he actually knew, and was panicking/making impulsive decisions. He joined because when he asked for Dumbledore's help, they made a deal, then Lily died, he felt remorse, continued on.

I agree that the Zionist/DE comparison was kind of clunky. But it's easy to interpret the general idea of what JKR is saying; they're horrible, the DEs are horrible.

The implication being that he was, eventually, no longer a subscriber.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

There is absolutely no relation between whatever Snape felt for Lily or James and with him revealing the prophecy to Voldemort. Snape revealed the prophecy because he was a Death Eater. He heard the prophecy and ran to his master. Simple as that.

Learning who the prophecy referred to came later and he went to Dumbledore since it targeted Lily.

Revealing the prophecy and going to Dumbledore are two separate actions that didn't happen at the same time and have very different reasons.

4. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I believe the death eaters aren't a metaphor for Israel at all, but rather the Nazis- or you know... the exact opposite of Israel.

Also, your anti-Israel stance is rather overbearing. I don't think their actions warrant having themselves linked to a fictional terrorist group. Yes, they are rather blase about civilian casualties, and certainly paranoid, but the paranoia is warranted after being invaded over six times and being attacked countless more times. They simply cannot risk it. But either way, political discussions should be relegated to the politics thread, so I shall cut myself off there.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

Err... what? Why is Israel being discussed in the Snape thread?

6. 540930

540930 Squib

High Score:
    Back to Snape. ^^
    For me is Snape a character who served the purpose to create a believable antagonist for Harrys daily life. In the frist years he is mean to poor Harry without a reason. Be honest, who don't know that situation? A problem with a bad teacher. At this point everybody sympathize with Harry and is absorbed into the story. But why does he still help Harry? This is a question every reader of the books is asking until book five. Then he plays a part in the lovestory of Harrys parents that explains his behavior torward Harry. Only to raise new questions.

Rowling is a great author without any doubt, but even she can't create a hundert percent 'authentic' fictional human being. There will always be some holes in the characterization or discrepancies.

But maybe we should try to understand what Rowling wants to tell us:
    Everybody deserve a second chance.
    Look at the life of a person who holts on a lost love for nearly twenty years.
    You don't have to like a person to help him or her. Just do the right thing!
    Try to make amends for your sins.
    Look what happens if you are ridden by guild for years.

And last but not least we shouldn't forget Rowling has written the books originally for her children. ;)

7. MarketingAtom

MarketingAtom Disappeared

High Score:
    I really don't think it redeems him, as all it shows is that he can hold onto feelings for a long time, and after all that time he really should have let it go, just like he should have let go of his grudge on James Potter enough that he didn't persecute Harry.

8. Timeturn098

Timeturn098 Squib

In sum, Snape was a great character and shitty person, whose actions lead ultimately to the defeats of voldemort. If talking "love" as him working with the order then the answer could be yes. In the long run, Voldemort being gone out weights the mental taxing and trauma of a couple hundred kids. But on his love FOR Lily then no. Just because Snape was driven by his "love" (cough, obsession) for a girl who clearly moved on doesn't redeem him in the least. Snape can love as big and as much as he wants but on a personal scale with his favoritism and harassment of students, it amounts to zilch.

9. ahiorth

ahiorth Squib

High Score:
    No he was super creepy with his obsession which has always made me wonder if he didn't like harry not only because he was James son but also because he had lily's love while Snape never did.

10. Oliver Thanatos

Oliver Thanatos Squib

High Score:
    Snape was the bravest biggest douche Harry ever knew.

11. kregle

kregle Squib

High Score:
    No its like joining the Nazi army, becouse your jewish love rejected you.
    it is not okay

12. skeephan531

skeephan531 Squib

His love for Lily doesn't redeem him, but it takes bravery to face Voldemort and falsely claim to still be loyal. In the end, Snape's actions contributed greatly to Voldemort's defeat, and I think that accounts for a lot.

Snape wasn't a bad man imo, and he would have been a good man, had he not chosen to hold a grudge against a child just because of his father. Snape was stupid in this regard.

He would most probably have been a much worse man if not for his love for Lily though, even if it itself doesn't redeem him.

I wonder what Snape thought of his own chances at surviving the war.

13. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This. Explains it quite succinctly.

14. Oliver Thanatos

Oliver Thanatos Squib

High Score:
    ...Snape didn't join the DEs because Lily rejected him.

15. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It didn't exactly help matters, now did it?

16. Oliver Thanatos

Oliver Thanatos Squib

High Score:
    "Lily rejecting Snape pushed him further toward the DEs (after he'd already been hanging out with the proto-DEs at Hogwarts for years and letting them influence him)" =/= "Snape joined the DEs because Lily rejected him".

17. Kibbick

Kibbick Muggle

High Score:
    I don't think so. While he undoubtedly did a lot of good working against Voldemort, I don't feel that outweighs all the damage he did while he was acting all broken from the loss of Lily to James. Just giving the prophecy to Voldemort caused the lives of his best friend, the man who saved his life, and almost their innocent child.

18. samphyre

samphyre Squib

High Score:
    Snaps was brave, to spy on Voldemort and work for Dumbledore right under Voldemort's (nonexistent) nose. If anything, that redeems him, rather than his love for Lily.
    Even evil people can love someone, or at least be obsessed - Bellatrix seems quite devoted to Voldemort.

Snape always loved Lily, even when he told Voldemort the prophecy that would quite obviously get a baby murdered . His fixation alone didn't make him grow a conscience.

19. MsCalypso

MsCalypso First Year

I don't think his love for Lily redeemed his actions later on. He as a shitty person, he was vindictive and angry and let's be honest: working out your problems by berating an 11-year-old? Not very mature.

His love for Lily didn't make a difference in how he treated Harry.

But, Snape was brave and he did what he thought was right when it came to Voldemort. In the end, he probably wasn't the best choice to name your son after though.

20. Mystyc

Mystyc Muggle

If anything, a Snape that truly loved lily would treat the son she died to protect well. I think Snape loved the IDEA of lily and him, or perhaps the person he was when he and lily were friends. But he did not love Lily, or he would have turned traitor far before the prophesy, since Lily had already defied Voldemort 3 times by then.

Not open for further replies.