1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Does this story interest you? - General thread.

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Andrela, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Undoubtedly, but it's not like I can post this in the HP section or the other fandoms.

Furthermore, Tom is the main character and the main POV, the other characters, while fictional (though they could easily be changed to historical figures) are just the background.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    No doubt they would help him, but that's not to say they would let him lead them in the fight. Hell, can you ever imagine Albus Dumbledore letting a muggle that is subpar even by muggle standards dictate the pace of such an important conflict?

Or is the challenge simply to find the right combination and then let them loose? That would be interesting, if you made it into sort of a loop. With each failed attempt, Tom knows more about which combinations work and which dont and what to expect from each, and years upon years pass as he struggles to balance the necessary qualities of his fighters.

Basically Fiction Fantasy Draft(TM).

Not to mention, it has a sort of gaming aspect to it. An ordinary guy picking his favorite/best known characters to fight for him? yes please.

3. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

To circumvent some of these issues, if you throw in some suitably tempting reward for the fictional champions on either side that should both ensure their cooperation and, if you add terms of compliance to the deal, place them firmly under Tom's leadership. It also opens the doors to having said leadership be a manageable conflict rather than an uncontrollable issue that is difficult to resolve.

Honestly, without some control mechanism SoD will almost certainly be an issue since most protagonists/antagonists are portrayed as leaders, capable or otherwise. And that's minus all of the other elements you'd have to balance.

Possible solution (though it may hurt Tom's dynamic with his chosen):
    The counterparts of the characters Tom chooses return to life in their respective worlds should they win. That gives every plenty of reason to go at it to the best of their ability.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Not gonna lie, this is starting to sound an awful lot like the Holy Grail War from Fate/Stay Night.

5. Andrela

Here's what I was thinking, after Republic suggested cutting down the list to 10.

Obviously, all of the characters could be changed, as this is just a proposition.

Tom's team:

1 - Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts.
    2 - Hiruzen Sarutobi, Third Hokage.
    3 - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master.
    4 - Buffy Summers, Vampire Slayer.
    5 - Captain America, First Avenger.
    6 - Hellboy, well-meaning Demon.
    7 - Jenny XJ9, Teenage Robot.
    8 - Ogre, God of Fighting.
    9 - Mew, Legendary Pokemon.
    10 - SCP-076, Able.

And the Angel's counter-team:

1 - Gellert Grindelwald, Dark Wizard.
    2 - Orochimaru, Missing-Nin.
    3 - Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith.
    4 - Angelus, Buffyverse Vampire.
    5 - Red Skull, Leader of Hydra.
    6 - Pinhead, Leader of the Cenobites.
    7 - T-X, Terminatrix.
    8 - Scorpion, Undead Ninja Specter.
    9 - Mewtwo, Legendary Pokemon.
    10 - SCP-682, Hard-to-Destroy Reptile.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Um, I'm pretty sure SCP-076-2 'Able' is a bad guy who won't listen at all to your character. Unless you have something to force the character's will over his team I'm pretty sure SCP-682 and SCP-076-2 will slaughter everyone else before spending the rest of eternity fighting each other.

Also, isn't having an immortal character cheating? If not, you main character could simply choose team of just immortal characters and meet the one year requirement.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  7. Andrela

Both SCP's are immortal, therefore they cancel each other out.

Also, you might recall that both of them fought before.

Additionally, remember the rule that all overpowered characters are weakened.

8. Download

High Score:
    So how would you weaken a pair of immortal SCPs without destroying what they are? Also, I remember 076-1 refusing to fight 682.

---------- Post automerged at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Or what is 682 refusing to fight 076-1?

9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Cop-out alert is maxing out. A forcibly weakened character is no longer his canon self, and cannot be used as such.

Rather, I propose you have a Tier system, based solely on fighting power(possibly even having many different Tier Categories based on other stuff) in which the fictional characters are categorised. So, if Tom chooses someone from a certain tier, the Angel can choose someone from the same Tier as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. Andrela

You have to weaken some characters. After all, Tom could just choose Galactus and destroy the planet, that's no fun.

11. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

This is an interesting idea. My two cents: I think that Tom/The Angel should be restricted to choosing characters that have died in their respective books/shows. This cuts out immortal/god characters, and fits well with the afterlife theme. Plus as an incentive for helping out, you could have the reward as the entire winning side obtaining the chance to come back to life in their respective fictional universes.

12. Andrela

I like the idea of choosing only people who have died. This still allows for Dumbledore and Grindelwald to be chosen :p

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So instead, what? You'd have a human like Galactus? That wouldn't be Galactus. You can have god!tier characters be off-limits, if you wish.

14. Andrela

By that logic, I'd have to have Superman off-limits as well, as he's also too powerful.

15. Download

High Score:
    Superman is one of the worst character in fiction. He's practically a Mary Sue.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yes. Do you have a point?

17. Andrela

I fully agree.

Well, people tend to be very enthusiastic about him...

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    And your answer to that would be to include a de-powered Superman? You do know that the human!Superman stories are some of most despised in the history of DC, right? And there is good reason for that.

19. Andrela

You misunderstand, I'm not talking about completely de-powering a character. I'm not talking about making him human.

I'm saying that I don't want a Superman who can a punch a hole in reality.

20. Download

High Score:
    I've been toying with a post-apocalyptic story for a while now.

I don't know about other regions, but back in the late 1990s and early 2000s here in Australian and New Zealand there was a TV show called The Tribe. The premise of The Tribe was pretty much that all the adults had died due to an unknown virus leaving children and teenagers to fend for themselves. The show focused on a group of these teens and children known as the Mall Rats (they lived in a shopping mall) as they tried to rebuild society.

I personally loved the concept, but the execution however wasn't very good. The story was very soap-opera like, most of the tribes in the series were reasonably peaceful, everyone for some reason insisted on wearing tribal paint despite the fact they were normal kids only 12 months previous, this post-apocalyptic world was almost seen as better than their previous lives (kind of) and it wasn't very gritty or violent.

With this inspiration I roughly planned out a post apocalyptic no-adults world.

The story would be four or five years after a virus wipes out nearly every adult - the dates are ambiguous as no one really has the time to figure out the exact date. Out of the children and teens who survive the death of all the adults a good 80 to 90% die due to starvation, disease, injury or fighting between other people as they scavenge for supplies leading to about 1-2% of the original population. I'm not sure at this point if the virus is engineered or naturally occurring.

The main character is a girl of fifteen or sixteen years of age as she tries to protect her younger sister who's eleven or twelve from the horrors of this post apocalyptic world.

They live in the home they grew up in on the edges of suburbia of a large city formerly of about one million inhabitants (most likely it will be my own city as I know the layout making it easier to plan things). Their home is falling apart and while they initially live on canned food and the like they scavenged, they now live on various animals the eldest sister shoots or traps and a small garden of vegtables. The eldest sister does her best to educate her younger sister in reading and maths while passing on whatever knowledge she has gained in survival.

The edge of suburbia is reasonably peaceful for the end of the world; people don't live too near each other reducing conflict and natural wildlife exists for food in large quantities. But, as time progresses, people begin to move out of the more dangerous inner suburbia and city. Previously these people lived on the much larger quantities of scavenged canned food found in the city but as that runs out they begin to move away from the city and near the sister's home.

The first people to leave the cities are more intelligent (they noticed the food shortage) and are civilised. Sometimes the eldest sister speaks to them and is told about life in the inner city; its dangers, armed gangs, rapes, murders etc. However as time goes on the people coming out of the city are more dangerous and feral and they hear news of even more fighting as food becomes more scarce causing another population drop.

Most of the people going out into the country side to survive lacks the skills needed to hunt, trap, figure out what's not poisonous etc making the country in some ways more dangerous than the city.

As the more violent and feral groups encroach on their home the eldest makes the call to relocate. Having heard rumours of a town that attempts to replicate the the law and order, and civility of the previous civilisation along with safety and the possibility of education in the centre of city they attempt to make their way there.

Though in a straight line this town should only be a few days walk, having to avoid the various dangers leads to it taking them several weeks leading to many dangrs and hardships.

Eventually they reach the city and find it's not all it's cracked up to be, but they key is they're trying. The people in the town are trying to make it the best they can be but it's slow going. Still, the town is reasonably safe for the youngest sister and though it's no where near complete people are trying to give the younger children and education and a childhood.

The oldest sister has to work, however. The expectation is if you can contribute to the town then you have too. The oldest sister given he ability to survive and a cool head is given the job of a 'finder'. He new job is to go out into the more dangerous part of the city and find various things the town needs such as medicine, spare parts, weapons, etc.

I'm not exactly sure where the plot would go from here but it would mostly be the town trying to build while facing opposing 'tribes'. Most of these tribes would just be small groups who attack, kill and then steal from who ever they can to survive. Some would be religious cults or fundamentalist religious groups who commit various atrocities in the name of their god/leader. Some would be cannibals, some would be rapists, murders, and a whole heap of other nasty shit. Groups that are nice will be far and few between.

So who would be interested in reading something like this? I know it still needs to be refined.