1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DotA 2 (aka Fuck You Blizzard pt.2)

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sin Saiori, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

2. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Oh god I am so fucking excited for this game.

3. artenry

artenry Guest

As a big fan of the original DotA, I am very much looking forward to this game.

This is what really piques my interest:

I'm hoping that the interface remains mostly true to how the original DotA is - Heroes of Newerth was just a little too out there for me to really get into, in my opinion.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Same here, if this is available in the shops, I am so going to buy it. Neither HoN nor LoL were able to give the original DoTA experience.

5. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

There has always been something about DotA and all its quirks that made it superior to its offspring/offshoots. Even so though, I find myself thrilled that it's gonna be on the Source engine.

This does make me wonder how Valve will handle things like right-clicking during Waveform to travel farther or orbwalking or any other miscellaneous programing quirk.

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Have some more video-games related drama, this time regarding the DotA personality IceFrog. Lot of this sort of thing going around lately.

7. artenry

artenry Guest

Interesting - I've never seen this.

This is just disappointing - degree of veracity aside, it's sad when ugly little things like this come up.

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Just to note:I've never played Dota, and don't know a thing about it. That said, why would anyone give a shit about the personal life (or even the professional life) of the developer, as long as the product is good?

Even if it's true and the guy's a dick, so what? I've met plenty of dicks in both work and out of it, who I'll admit do their job damn well-even if they are total cunt buckets.

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I'm far from an expert on this, but I think the core of the drama is this dude worked at three separate game companies making DotA clones, and then when he got picked up by Valve, he was spun as an ascended fan instead of a headhunted experienced DotA cloner to the fandom. It smacks of spin-doctored bullshit at best and straight-out corporate espionage and theft of industry secrets at worst.

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Oh okay, makes sense in that case. I haven't played the games, so I wasn't aware that they were so identical. I had assumed the article meant that the guy was an industry insider & a controlling asshat. Neither are really terrible offenses unless he or the company that hired him are trying to portray him as something different.

11. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

This doesn't come as too much of a surprise really. It's been known that Icefrog worked with the makers of HoN and LoL. The only thing that this shows is that he actually worked for the other studios.

I'll be honest, I don't care if it amounts to corporate espionage. It's not like there's ever been any great deal of secrecy between all three of the DotA styled games. When there's overlapping game mechanics like Mirana's/Valkyrie's/Ashe's line-drive stun or practically the exact same items throughout, it's obvious that someone's been chatting with someone else.

All I care about right now is that someone's finally making the game that encompasses all the finest aspects of all three. Sorry guys, I don't care whose toes are getting stepped on.

12. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I never really played DotA when I played WC3 and WC3 TFT, I was more into Ring Wars, War of the Jewels, Europa type of maps. DotA was a decent game, but I began to hate it towards 2005-2006, because about 75% of the games being hosted were DotA.

What I really hope for is a WC4, except that I think I would be disappointed by it. It would mostly be infected with WoW backstory bullshit, which would break my heart.

13. Cull

Cull Second Year

So excited for this. I've been playing LoL nonstop, but DotA2? WANT.

14. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Well WoW was mostly infected with WC3 TFT backstory, so it's entirely possible that WC4 will be the continuing story.

Of course it's also possible that WC4 would be an RTS version of the WoW backstory, which would be fucking :awesome:awesome:awesome.

15. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

SO I'd start as a lvl 1 Kungen?

16. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

No, I mean playing through things like the Lich King or Cataclysm but RTS styled. It would start right where The Frozen Throne left off and go from there.

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Warcraft III and TFT were among the best games ever created and I would love to have WC4 but I doubt it will ever happen since Blizzard has a goldshitting cow in WoW.

18. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Artwork for Morphling, Lina and Bloodseeker look great. This is going to be a fantastic game. I like the idea of the coaching mode, not sure exactly how that would work, since there are more players who need a coach over people who are willing and able to coach. Maybe if each coach was given more than one pupil.

I am so excited about this. Probably going to be a late 2011 release?

19. TSN

TSN Auror

probably going out in 2035 du to valve time effect

20. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I hope not anyways.. t-t