1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DOTA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by leenK, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah :p He was overjoyed. He's been playing HoN and his account isn't legacy, so he's fairly delighted to have more than 15~ Heroes to choose from.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. Skykes

Really getting into this. I'm at 29 wins- 20 looses right now and I am queued. I want that 66% win rate :3

4. deviatesfish

deviatesfish Squib

Someone asked for a beta key from me, but never told me their steam id... for a week or two now. I guess it's still up for grabs or something.

5. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Could I grab it off you for my brother, if no one claims it?

Edit: Or give it to Midknight. Somehow didn't see his post.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  6. Skykes

Give it to Midknight.

7. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I added you on steam and PM'd you about it. Was wondering where you went. Just give it to Middy. Don't think I'll have time for DOTA right no anyways.

8. deviatesfish

deviatesfish Squib

Sorry, in the last two weeks, a bunch of people added me, I didn't know who you were and I was kind of waiting for you to tell me... :x

9. Skykes

I'm on a winning Streak and I don't want to loose it D: Enchantress <3

10. AnvariX

AnvariX Second Year

Any chance of getting a beta invite? How does one procure one?

11. Midknight

Memememememememememe1

12. Midknight

13. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

PM your Steam account name. I think I have a key left.

14. Midknight

15. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Just sent you a friend request.

16. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

300+ hours, nearly 400 games and all I have to say is: Fuck Antimage. Seriously, fuck him right up the wall. Without some sweep heroes like Phantom Assassin, heroes like Antimage and Shadow Assassin require too much team coordination to kill.

Pub play/solo queue is not conducive to team coordination.

17. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

Lycan and Riki shut down AM hard before he gets Manta. As long as he's one of those players that go Treads into BFury you can keep him down all game.

18. Skykes

You mean as long as he is an idiot ?

19. Midknight

Did two practice matches with just me and bots and I did horrible. Then I grabbed Sniper and Skykes drug me into my first game with other humans vs bots and I did alright. The learning curve ain't a curve like it is in LoL, it's a cliff. More shit to learn.

Some stupid things that messed me up, and some things I don't like, that you might find amusing:

-The shop system. Makes no sense to me to require a secret shop, and I was raging at being unable to buy items, because I was playing so far away from the TV, at such a high rez, that I could barely see shit and overlooked it was secret shop only. The stash system keeps fucking me up too, as does the courier. I really don't like the donkey system at all, having to make the choice when to go back for items was a major tactical choice in LoL. Being able to have your stuff brought out to you takes that away. Well that and I died at once point because I couldnt get unselected from controlling the donkey, and my guy got raped, lol.

I really hate the item hud/interface for the shop. Everything is too small to read for shit, even sitting at my desk, and trying to find what I want to buy is a pain in the ass. Maybe I'll get used to it later on, or am missing some sort of sorting option.

-No camera sticky. Hate this, hate this, hate this. I play with the camera unstuck in LoL, but I hold down space a lot when I'm moving to keep my champ centered. Here you have to constantly adjust it, or keep mashing F1, or keep moving your mouse around. Really dislike this.

Graphically the game is a major step up from LoL, which I love, but I found it really hard to tell some of the champs from the creeps. This will come with time I guess, since I had no idea what the hell any of the spells flying around did either. All sorts of buildings got raped on the way to our win, no idea what none of them did outside the towers either, need to go check out a guide.

All in all so far, fun game, looking forward to learning it.

20. Skykes

Honestly Mid, I know you like Sniper but he is a difficult hero to start with. He needs a lot of gold to become effective which means missing last hits and dying is a major no no. I would recommend that you play some kind of disabler/nuker intelligence hero for when you start playing against players.

For now thought, while you are leaning the game just play with other players against bots and random each time. You will have a different hero each time which means you can learn more about each of them. That way when you are playing against them, you know exactly what you are up against. Which is really important for the laning(early) phase. If you in your lane they both have multiple disables, it's going to be a dangerous lane.